PDA

View Full Version : 540 pics and questions.....

Donziweasel
04-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Alright, between using the toilet and barfing, I got a few pics. One thing I noticed is the tails are different. As you can see in the pics, one is shorter and has a more severe angle in it. Is this normal?

Take a look and see if you see anything strange......

ITTLFLI
04-09-2009, 01:51 PM
The length diff is normal. Look at your exhaust ports on the heads.....one side is further back than the other...:cool!:

Good lookin engine!

VetteLT193
04-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Is that a 500 Bulldog?

Donziweasel
04-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Yep, 500 Bulldog, 540 CID, 600 Hp (heads were ported and polished).

Barry Eller
04-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Alright, between using the toilet and barfing, I got a few pics.......

Don't eat the yellow snow...it will make you sick.:puke::toiletpap

Looks like a Bad Dog Motor. Enjoy.

VetteLT193
04-09-2009, 02:35 PM
Yep, 500 Bulldog, 540 CID, 600 Hp (heads were ported and polished).

They should have called that engine the 500 BulletProof.

freaking awesome.

gcarter
04-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Were'nt the original Bull Dogs based on the tall deck?

Donziweasel
04-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Alright, between toilet breaks, getting to look through the engine. Gonna need some help with it. Anyone up for an all expense paid trip to Jackson Hole?

Overall, I like it. Going to need a few things, and I still need to figure out where the hell everything goes. This was a salt water engine, but rebuilt 20 hours ago. A few sensors (oil pressure, water temp, etc...) have a little rust and I want to replace them. Will probably replace some hoses as well. Who is the best place to get this stuff? Victory?

Anyone know where to get a schematic, especailly electrical, on it?

Not sure if it was a tall deck, but the intake is TALL and says DART.

VetteLT193
04-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Alright, between toilet breaks, getting to look through the engine. Gonna need some help with it. Anyone up for an all expense paid trip to Jackson Hole?
Overall, I like it. Going to need a few things, and I still need to figure out where the hell everything goes. This was a salt water engine, but rebuilt 20 hours ago. A few sensors (oil pressure, water temp, etc...) have a little rust and I want to replace them. Will probably replace some hoses as well. Who is the best place to get this stuff? Victory?
Anyone know where to get a schematic, especailly electrical, on it?

You should have Eddie come up to do tile and your engine. he's done his engine so many times he could probably do it in his sleep :eek:

ITTLFLI
04-09-2009, 03:29 PM

Get the numbers off the block. On the bell housing flange on the back of the motor. Post them here or go to Mortec and it should tell you.

Another way to tell is the distributor flange on the intake or the thickness of the intake flange that bolts to the head. Tall deck is thicker. However you need to be used to looking at that stuff to tell! The casting numbers will be the easiest route...:kingme:

BigGrizzly
04-09-2009, 04:27 PM
All the buldogs were tall decks. however we have seen a short deck one or somebody did an extremely good impersonation of one. In the other thread I though you said it was a closed cooling, that big thing on the stern is the oil and power steering cooler. This is a carb engine and the schematic is std to all mercs- not difficult in anyway. This was merc's mister dependability motor, they stopped it for several reasons. The main one was roller cams and public opinion then the EFI thing. Personally, I have never found anyone who did not like that engine in stock form once it was fixed. The main issue was carb jetting. I saw two new crate engines with different jetting. One actually had bigger primary s than secondaries. Yea, yea I heard the hand built thingy too then one hand fell asleep. The internals are tremendous to say the least.

mrfixxall
04-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Gonna need some help with it. Anyone up for an all expense paid trip to Jackson Hole?

When?

Do you think i can get my matco 8535 tool box on the plane?

Donziweasel
04-09-2009, 06:57 PM
Fixall, probably no tools on the plane, but trust me, I have 4 mechanics worth at Alltrans.

I have heard that the Bulldog was one of the most reliable and had a VERY long life before rebuilding. I also heard it was bullet proof and could handle WAY more power than the stock 500.

Considering the age of the boat, I don't mind a carbed motor or flat tappet cam. Kind of keeps it retro mode.

If it was something modern like Carl's or Dwights 22's, I would have done something different. For less than 10,000.00, I got a fully dressed 600 hp 540 CID engine that is ready to go.

Now, that being said, I am going to ge some rust off of it, clean it up, and add a little bling. Already spoke with VanAlstine today and getting a shopping list ready.:biggrin.:

Donziweasel
04-09-2009, 08:43 PM
The length diff is normal. Look at your exhaust ports on the heads.....one side is further back than the other...

Will check tommorrow......

Don't eat the yellow snow...it will make you sick.

Looks like a Bad Dog Motor. Enjoy.

Ate somethin', but don't think it was yellow snow....:biggrin.:

Thanks about the engine. How is Yippie Kia Yay doing? Is she back together?

Air 22
04-09-2009, 11:00 PM
John..congrats...can't wait to see it completed..:pimp:

btw..I will b sure to call ya when i'm in JH:kyle:...I wanna c this thing up close:biggrin.:..Sorry I missed ya last week....dang nose tire in Salt Lake had diff plans for me:rolleyes:....lol

BigGrizzly
04-10-2009, 07:22 AM
John, trust me one pipe is shorter then the other, the port side is the longer one. As for fit the engine in is the only way no short cuts. Now the bravo does have a standard cut out however it depends on the prior installation and silent choice. DO NOT take anything for granted. Ben there and done that more then most. You got the numbers if you need.