PDA

View Full Version : It's here........

Donziweasel
04-08-2009, 05:53 PM

Been under the weather, will try and post pics tommorrow....

fogducker III
04-08-2009, 06:11 PM
So once you are feeling better john I suspect it will be installed the next day right...???:biggrin.::wink:

Glad to hear it arrived safe and sound, good luck with the install........:yes:

Trueser
04-08-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm ready for a road trip. Have to burn up Vac this year..

gcarter
04-09-2009, 06:22 AM

Mike, you're a glutton for punishment!
You leave home....where it's cold,
and go to work on a boat.......where it's even colder!:biggrin:

Air 22
04-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Been under the weather, will try and post pics tommorrow....

No pic's???:rolleyes:...You're a 540 Tease John...:smileybo::beer::biggrin.:

Carl C
04-09-2009, 08:39 AM
C'mon, sick or not you can stumble out there and snap a couple of pics............:kyle::stan:

Donziweasel
04-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Should get some pics today.

Alright Mike, when should I expect you? Oh yeah, can you pic up George Carter on the way?

I only got a few minutes with the engine yesterday before my fever, stomach, and, well, let's just say both ends ain't cooperating.

First impression is that it seems very complete. Got some exterior superificail rust, nut much and nothing a little TLC and some piant won't fix. Can't notice it unless you really look at it.

It has closed cooling, which I have never messed with before. Might need some advice on how to set it up.

CMI Exhaust looks good.

Been thinking about how to line up everything for the thru-hull. Mine doesn't have it and before I go cutting a couple of 4 inch holes through my transom, might want some advice on how to line everything up....... Maybe someone has one with a 502 or 540 with CMI's than can make me a template?

Air 22
04-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Should get some pics today.
Alright Mike, when should I expect you? Oh yeah, can you pic up George Carter on the way?
I only got a few minutes with the engine yesterday before my fever, stomach, and, well, let's just say both ends ain't cooperating.
First impression is that it seems very complete. Got some exterior superificail rust, nut much and nothing a little TLC and some piant won't fix. Can't notice it unless you really look at it.
It has closed cooling, which I have never messed with before. Might need some advice on how to set it up.
CMI Exhaust looks good.
Been thinking about how to line up everything for the thru-hull. Mine doesn't have it and before I go cutting a couple of 4 inch holes through my transom, might want some advice on how to line everything up....... Maybe someone has one with a 502 or 540 with CMI's than can make me a template?

John...did the CMI's come with tails? You will have to take measurements when the engine is aligned from the header to transom. It may be risky to use someone elses template...ur measurements will be accurate.

CMI has the info you may need for an install...ck'em out.
http://www.custommarine.com/tailpipes/index.php

congrats btw...looking fwd to the pic's:pimp:

mrfixxall
04-09-2009, 09:07 AM
Been thinking about how to line up everything for the thru-hull. Mine doesn't have it and before I go cutting a couple of 4 inch holes through my transom, might want some advice on how to line everything up....... Maybe someone has one with a 502 or 540 with CMI's than can make me a template

i have the temp plate from mercury,if you need me to mail it but i need it back..or if mike is coming out by you he can pick it up from my shop..

Donziweasel
04-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Dwight, yeah, it came with tails, need tips though with flappers. Any suggestions? Not sure if he even used tips, lloks like just sealant around the thru hull and rest of tails look clean. Do I even need flappers with this setup?

Damn I have a lot to learn......:confused:

Damn boats are different than busses.

Busses tend to sink in water and boats don't go anywhere on dry land.....:biggrin.:

Oh well, I really enjoy working of chit and looking forward to this project, until I am sure I screw something up and want to push it off a cliff....:biggrin

VetteLT193
04-09-2009, 09:18 AM
regarding the through hull the tips matter too. some are at an angle, some are not. some are shorter than others on the inside.

What kind of tips do you want? (or do you have them already?) I have a set of Corsa's sitting in my garage if you want something with a muffler. They wouldn't fit my boat because I was limited in fitment.... corsa's have a shorter inside pipe than my other tips and it made the difference.

The factory template is going to more than likely be too narrow. you may as well widen it on the transom so it is nice and straight... CMI's are wider than factory exhaust.

Air 22
04-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Dwight, yeah, it came with tails, need tips though with flappers. Any suggestions? Not sure if he even used tips, lloks like just sealant around the thru hull and rest of tails look clean. Do I even need flappers with this setup?
Damn I have a lot to learn......:confused:
Damn boats are different than busses.
Busses tend to sink in water and boats don't go anywhere on dry land.....:biggrin.:
Oh well, I really enjoy working of chit and looking forward to this project, until I am sure I screw something up and want to push it off a cliff....:biggrin

John...here is one idea...lots of exhaust tips available out there...I have the Livorsi..

http://www.livorsi.com/catalog/flaps.htm

http://www.monstermarinestore.com/productdetail.cfm?productid=557&incat=16

VetteLT193
04-09-2009, 09:23 AM
oops, posting at the same time.

you don't necessarily need flappers. My brother and I don't run them, some won't run without them. My brother has run his boat without for 20 years like this...

The sound of your new engine Vs. your old SBC is much different. It can get annoying having BBC, no flappers, CMI's all the time... this is exactly how my brother's boat is set up. At idle it sounds great. after 30 minutes of idle not so great.

With that said I'd probably do something with some kind of muffler. The Corsas sound good but you have to run a flapper because they are ugly without it. I'm not sure how much power they can handle either because you can't see through them.

you can get nice tips with internal flappers too. you can run slip in mufflers, but they don't work as well.

decisions decisions.

mattyboy
04-09-2009, 09:45 AM
we mocked up the tails for the cig in 4" pvc pipe marked the transom sent the mock ups out and had them made drilled the holes , they fit perfectly and looked awesome

zelatore
04-09-2009, 09:51 AM
I thought it had been sorta quite around here without our daily report from the mountain.

I figured you were just giving me a chance to catch up since I seem to move about 1/3 your pace. :wink:

Pictures man, pictures!

Donziweasel
04-09-2009, 10:10 AM
I was out of town all last week, got back Sunday, got sick Tuesday. Engine came yesterday. I was so sick, all I could do was take the shrink wrapping off. Then I barfed and went home. Fever, stomach, etc....

Alright, next question- My Critter does not have thru hull. I disconnected the exhaust from the 6.2L from the Bravo. Now I have two exhaust hoses that go to the Bravo that are open ended. How do I seal them for straight thru hull? Wouldn't water dump in from the drive without doing something?

Sorry if I sound ignorant. Problem is, I just don't sound ignorant, I am ignorant.:biggrin.:

I think I would rather work on busses.

Donziweasel
04-09-2009, 10:15 AM

Hey Mike, JH is lovely this time of year, snow, mud, and cold. Plus, you get to deal with an ignorant idiot who has no idea what he is doing. What more could you want from a vacation?:biggrin:

I do have a whole three miles of open water before you hit the ice.....:biggrin.:

VetteLT193
04-09-2009, 10:15 AM
just get a block off plate and remove the Y pipe

http://www.perfprotech.com/store/assembly/Exhaust-Block-Off-Plate,4854-270.aspx

you also won't need the exhaust bellows anymore. if you wind up re-doing any of that stuff you can just skip it. Thank God. because that job sucks without the exhaust bellows and would suck even more with it.

VetteLT193
04-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Once you really get in there everything will make sense to you. I have had the wonderful opportunity to learn my boat inside, outside, and backwards over the last year.

Tag, you're it. :eek:

BigGrizzly
04-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Now here is a though, Silent choice, you do not have to use them but they are there id you want and the kit will line up everything. Now for tips CMI are the only flappers that do not rattle, I have had them on mine for 6 years., and they work better and are cheaper to replace then others if they should fail. John If you need cooling system advice, just call, This I do know how to do.

Air 22
04-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Now here is a though, Silent choice, you do not have to use them but they are there id you want and the kit will line up everything. Now for tips CMI are the only flappers that do not rattle, I have had them on mine for 6 years..
Errr...Grasshopper...my Livorsi Tips w flappers do not rattle...but then again who the heck can hear that kind of "Rattle" with the engine on...:biggrin.:

fogducker III
04-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Now here is a though, Silent choice, you do not have to use them but they are there id you want and the kit will line up everything. Now for tips CMI are the only flappers that do not rattle, I have had them on mine for 6 years., and they work better and are cheaper to replace then others if they should fail. John If you need cooling system advice, just call, This I do know how to do.

John, if you have the exhaust Y pipe installed now, go for the Silent Choice like Randy suggests, gives you both worlds.........:biggrin.:

Carl C
04-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Silent choice is nice when around the docks or trying to talk to someone or when the water cops pull up but on a performance engine it is only good at low speed. Since I put the CMIs on my HO the diverter butterflys blast open around 4,000 rpm so I do not run it over 3,500 in quiet mode. The service manual for my new HP525EFI says not to run above 2,500 rpm in quiet mode. Just something to keep in mind. You will not be able to cruise in quiet mode.

zelatore
04-09-2009, 12:13 PM
I'll say this about the silent choice - it's nice to have, but I seriously considered taking mine out when I pulled the motor - it just looks a lot cleaner without it and there's that much more room to get to stuff.

But even though I almost always run with it in the open mode, it is nice to have the option.

Would I install it if I didn't have it? I doubt it. But I'm not going to take it out either.

handfulz28
04-09-2009, 12:32 PM
If you decide to go with a blockoff, I might have one new in package. PM if you need and post some pics already!

BigGrizzly
04-09-2009, 04:31 PM
I am sorry air. but wait they will. And watch who you are calling insect tadpole.:yes::yes: