PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat rejuvenator on eBay: work or scam?

Okie2
04-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Anybody ever tried the "gelcoat rejuvenator" sold on eBay (type in donzi & will find it)....I'm not usually drawn in to snake oil products but, would fork out the $50 if someone here had used it & recommended. Don't really feel like sanding the sun faded area & then having to re-pin stripe if I could help it. Thanks, Scott ps some nice looking Donzi shirts there too....

mrfixxall
04-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Anybody ever tried the "gelcoat rejuvenator" sold on eBay (type in donzi & will find it)....I'm not usually drawn in to snake oil products but, would fork out the $50 if someone here had used it & recommended. Don't really feel like sanding the sun faded area & then having to re-pin stripe if I could help it. Thanks, Scott ps some nice looking Donzi shirts there too....

A cust of mine used it,showed brush marks after a month in use then it flaked off..

Okie2
04-08-2009, 04:24 PM
That would seem about right....ssssssnake oil..... Glad I already purchased the wet/dry sandpaper! Thanks, Scott

Donzi Vol
04-08-2009, 09:52 PM
If it's the same stuff, we've used it a time or two and it's worked very well. If you're looking for new gelcoat, then no, it's not going to work. But if you just want to bring the shine back, it works. However, you have to apply it correctly. Read the instructions and follow them carefully. We always polish on, so I can't imagine why there would ever be brush marks. I say give it a shot...just my two cents.

RedDog
04-08-2009, 10:51 PM
I would recommend trying the Leverage products. They have a polish I highly recommend. They also have an oxidation remover that I haven't tried but have heard good reports on. Search the Donzi Net on Leverage for other input.

Here is their web site: http://www.leveragepolish.com/products.php

widowmaker
04-09-2009, 06:23 AM
I'll second RedDog's comments about Leverage products. Their stuff works great and it goes on and comes off very easily. Be careful about walking on your deck after use. It's real slick.

VetteLT193
04-09-2009, 07:10 AM
That stuff from eBay is like a really thin clear coat. it's more of a paint than anything else... if you have faded gel that looks good when you put a hose on it then it will 'work'. but it isn't going to look as good as a good wet-sand and buff or a full paint job / re-gel job.

Anything cosmetic that is easy means it isn't going to look as good.

zelatore
04-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Anything cosmetic that is easy means it isn't going to look as good.

Exactly!

If somebody were to invent a real short cut to the tried and true wet-sand - polish - wax approach to restoring tired paint/gel, you can bet everybody would beat a path to their door. And every competitor would beat a path to their lab to bring a copy of it to market.

I pretty much doubt ANY 'miracle product' I see for detailing.

There's the right way to do it - as stated above - then there are shortcuts.

You might be times to use a shortcut, but don't expect the same results as doing it right.

BUIZILLA
04-09-2009, 07:14 PM
I really like Leverage...

techspecial
04-09-2009, 08:02 PM
I agree that you can't beat the wet sanded/compounded/polished look if it would just stay that great looking...I had an 87 Four Winns red/black that would almost immediately bake out what ever I put on it. Looked pink/grey by August every year. Tried a product called Vertglas. It's actually a sealer that looks pretty good if applied properly. It's easily removed if your not happy with it with a solvent wash the company also provides. You use a chamois squeegie type applicator that leaves no brush marks. About 10 quick coats. looks like crap at first but hang in there for the 10 coats for good results. By the time you're finished with one coat it's ready for another.