PDA

View Full Version : Dual battery maintainers....

JustMercMe
04-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Anybody use battery maintainers?....I've got 2 batteries in mine and don't wanna use 2 maintainers.....Is thier such thing as a dual maintainer? Anybody recommend a good one?

CHACHI
04-08-2009, 01:58 PM
JMM,
First make sure both batteries are the same size/amp hours.

Wire them in parallel, (+ to +, - to -), attach positive clamp from charger to + side of battery "A" and the negitive clamp from the charger to - side of battery "B".

You will be good to go.

Ken

VetteLT193
04-08-2009, 02:03 PM
I was just looking for this the other day. seems that you can get a higher end unit designed to power house batteries but not a maintainer charger for a trailer boat.

At least I couldn't find one...

CHACHI: I want to keep my batteries separate through the switch, I suspect JustMerc does too. Just makes peace of mind when running the stereo at the beach on 1 batt.

p729lws
04-08-2009, 03:24 PM
I have a dual charger on the electric 'toon boat. It's hard wired to the batteries and doesn't take up much space. I use it to recharge the deep cycles but it may work well as a maintainer also. I'll see if I can find some info on it.

Dan

BUIZILLA
04-08-2009, 03:32 PM
I just sold a half dozen of these Battery Tender double's this month

double tender # 022 0165 DL WH
25' cord # 081 0148 25

comes with 2 sets of clips and 2 sets of ring terminals

best deal is on Amazon.com or Overstock.com

JustMercMe
04-08-2009, 03:55 PM
I was just looking for this the other day. seems that you can get a higher end unit designed to power house batteries but not a maintainer charger for a trailer boat.

At least I couldn't find one...

CHACHI: I want to keep my batteries separate through the switch, I suspect JustMerc does too. Just makes peace of mind when running the stereo at the beach on 1 batt.

VetteLT193 Hit the nail on the head......Buizilla, sounds like what I'm looking for....The reviews seem pretty good too.

http://www.amazon.com/Deltran-Battery-Tender-12-Volt-Management/dp/B000NCOKV0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1239223845&sr=8-8

BUIZILLA
04-08-2009, 04:00 PM
we bought 5 of the ALL THREE package for $98.93 each plus shipping

I had one hooked up on my boat and fuzzy's parked next to it for the last 2-3 weeks.. 1 maintainer does 2 boats... just took it off today actually...

p729lws
04-08-2009, 06:52 PM
The one I use is the Promariner model prosport8. 2 circuits and 8 amps total. Marine grade and about $100. I've had it a couple years now and it stays plugged in if I'm not using the boat. It's more of a charger but has controls to back off the charge once the batteries are topped off.

http://www.promariner.com/productFeature.php?ProductNum=42008&page=2

Dan

Ghost
04-08-2009, 07:15 PM
I presume the only reason to put one in is if you leave the boat unused for fairly long periods, yes?

And if the only long period in question is winter, you should skip it, pull the batteries, and top them off stored inside anyhow?

So, maybe FL or somewhere might command this kinda setup. But for most of us, it only applies if we regularly skip half the boating season for some reason or other, correct?

synack
04-09-2009, 06:00 AM
Anybody use battery maintainers?....I've got 2 batteries in mine and don't wanna use 2 maintainers.....Is thier such thing as a dual maintainer? Anybody recommend a good one?

I use the BatteryMinderPlus. It can do multiple batteries of the same type.
http://www.batteryminders.com/batterycharger/catalog/Boating-Battery-Chargers-orderby0-p-1-c-26.html

VetteLT193
04-09-2009, 07:07 AM
I just sold a half dozen of these Battery Tender double's this month

double tender # 022 0165 DL WH
25' cord # 081 0148 25

comes with 2 sets of clips and 2 sets of ring terminals

best deal is on Amazon.com or Overstock.com

I was looking for a marine unit to install in the boat, I didn't think that battery tender was designed for marine? I saw that one but it didn't say anything about it.

Poodle: you leave the battery switch on #2 or "ALL"? And this means you have to have 2 identical batteries, correct?

I was thinking about having a running battery and a house battery. run the boat on one, run the radio on the other at the beach. this would mean I couldn't run on ALL while out in the boat but it should suit my needs

Speed Racer
04-09-2009, 11:20 AM
http://www.promariner.com/

Permanently installed chargers are very typical in the yacht world. I am using one of these on my 'other' boat. Keeps the batteries topped up while moored at the dock, and can individually monitor and effectively maintain 3 batteries ( 2 house 1 starting).

Pair it with this: http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/97/p/1/pt/5/product.asp

And you have a pretty solid package!

Some models come with inverters as well, so that while underway, that blender can be fired up!

GG

Tidbart
04-09-2009, 12:28 PM
I use the Batteryminder 12248. They have another unit for permanent installs. I bought this one because it has a desulphator, not just the charger. The desuplhator breaks up any sulphation deposits using an occasional energy pulse. This conditions older batts to last longer and removes sulphation in new ones. The removal makes the battery accept a charge better. You can revive tired ones and make all of them last longer.

You can do two at once provided certain criteria are met. Same type, good condition (no bad cells), equal charge, etc. I think I spent about $100 on it from Northern Tool.

I have two Optimas but charge them separately. They hold a charge longer and better than standard lead-acid batts, no need to constantly charge them, hence no need to charge them both at the same time. One of my batteries is seven years old and works like a champ. The other one would be seven years old also, but I left the switch on for a month, and totally killed it.:biggrin:

B

BigGrizzly
04-09-2009, 04:42 PM
I prefer the battery minder. Honda sels the battery tenders and we have some issues with them, nothing major nor a lot of failures but but when the crap out they biol the battery dry.