PDA

View Full Version : Don (Zelatore) ... San Fran

Lenny
04-07-2009, 01:02 PM
We flew into there last week and left yesterday, (passing through) and I must say, having NEVER seen it by air before, that is an impressive area :yes: A LOT of water in the bay area inside of the Coast to play in for sure. Looks like a lot of fun to boat in :yes: I have driven around the town before and hung out at the beaches etc, but never had that view.

Cool place. LOTS of bridges.

We'll be there again on Saturday on a layover for about 4-5 hours if you are around.

zelatore
04-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Other than fishing, most of our boating is east of the golden gate. :biggrin.:

Frankly, it's pretty nasty outside on the coast and there's not much out there. Sure, I've run down to Monterey for the weekend, but there just aren't that many harbors and you have a lot of rough water between them.

I don't know if you could see the whole area from your flight path. Basically, the city and SFO sit on the south side of the golden gate with SF Bay extending mostly to the south and a little to the north. Then it opens into San Pablo Bay - large and shallow, and rough in the afternoons when the wind blow. Out of San Pablo Bay you pass through the Carquinez Straight and get into the delta area made up of the Sacramento and San Joquine rivers plus a few smaller rivers and hundreds of interconnecting sloughs. The delta is roughly bounded by Pittsburgh, Sacramento, and Stockton, although you can run well past any of these points if you want to do some exploring. Although they maintain dredged channels deep enough for large freighters to run to Sac and Stockton, you'd miss 90% of the place if you stayed on the marked channels. A good chartplotter comes in handy as the place is a maze.

google CA delta and you'll find plenty of maps

If I had known you were in the area I could have stopped by. I was just killing time at the office last night. Unfortunately, this weekend I need to be at the house working on the Donzi if I'm actually going to get it done in time to make Powell; and the house is closer to Sacramento.

Hopefully we can get together next month when I come up to your area to charter!

Magicallbill
04-08-2009, 12:20 AM
Hi Lenny..

Zelatore, I sent you a PM answering your Brother's question.