PDA

View Full Version : Power steering relocation LE18. ???

Lenny
04-07-2009, 12:59 PM
I want to relocate or move forward (towards the bow) my power steering pump, currently on the top port side. When I put the SSM on the front, the manifold bumps into the pump "feed fitting by about a 1/4". That is even after you consider "re-shaping" it a bit. Apparently you can "rubber hammer" the SSM and create a depression for clearance but that idea does not appeal to me all that much.

So, does anyone have a relocate idea or bracketry to move it away? Bling, whatever. 1987 350. If i shim it away, what about the crank pully so that belt alignment stays in place ?

VetteLT193
04-07-2009, 01:01 PM
have a pic? If mine is different... and yours will work for me and mine for you I'll swap with you.

mrfixxall
04-07-2009, 01:14 PM
I want to relocate or move forward (towards the bow) my power steering pump, currently on the top port side. When I put the SSM on the fornt of the manifold bumps into the pump by about a 1/4". Apparently you can "rubber hammer" the SSM and create a depression for clearance but that idea does not appeal to me all that much.

So, does anyone have a relocate idea or bracketry to move it away? Bling, whatever. 1987 350. If i shim it away, what about the crank pully so that belt alignment stays in place ?

Lenny before you move it the pump has tobe higher then the steering rack of the fluid may run out of the cap...you may just want to get a newer style (off a gm van) p.s. pump with the smaller remote resovour..

Lenny
04-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Lenny before you move it the pump has tobe higher then the steering rack of the fluid may run out of the cap...you may just want to get a newer style (off a gm van) p.s. pump with the smaller remote resovour..

THAT sounds like a good idea :yes: What year GMC/Chevy Van ?

mrfixxall
04-07-2009, 02:02 PM
THAT sounds like a good idea :yes: What year GMC/Chevy Van ?

I have a 2002 here now but it still has the big can style ps pump on it with a nipple going to the resivour..

ck this out,i found i think what your looking for..

http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/borgeson-685/borgeson-catalog-339/page-17.html

This one ie a bit pricy tho..http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=5338

BUIZILLA
04-07-2009, 02:44 PM
I think you need a pre-92 van....

Lenny
04-07-2009, 03:19 PM
Buzz, this being an '87, is it that much different than "pre-92" ? or is it a Van specific thing ?

And are we talking about 350 GMC vans or Safaris and stuff as well.

mrfixxall
04-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Buzz, this being an '87, is it that much different than "pre-92" ? or is it a Van specific thing ?

And are we talking about 350 GMC vans or Safaris and stuff as well.

my brother inlaw was here yesterday and i so happened to rebolt his ps pump th the engine,( the bolts sheered off) same pump and resivour..

i would go with the posts i posted..

BigGrizzly
04-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Actually moving the pump is easy but the pulley alignment is an issue. I just moved my Criterion pump to the starbord side and made a bracket but the fitting was a nogo so I was going to bandjo it but I foind some fittinga and dic the 90 pite to an deal work. It is nice to have the correcr tools.

HallJ
04-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Lt1 Camaro as well

Jeff