PDA

View Full Version : A very important tip to remember!

MOP
04-06-2009, 11:13 AM
I had a starting problem on my 02 sub and asked Jim Buz a friends and my mechanic for ideas, below is my response to Jim who did come up with most of the info, thanks again Jim.

Now the starting problem!!!!!!!!!!

You Are Not Going to believe!!!! It was a security system issue, here is what happened/happens! You leave you car/truck unlocked for an extended period, when you return you open the passenger door before you open the drivers door and the security system locks out the fuel. I stopped by my mechanic this AM and told him he needs to go and get my truck, he asked what happened I explained I left it unlocked over night and whn I got back it would not start. First question did Bonnie open the the passenger door first I said yes, he said there is nothing wrong I said **** it won't start. He said first turn the door lock several times with the key then activate several times with the clicker then try to start, if it does not start turn the ignition of and on about 1/2 doz times then wait 30 seconds ant start it which it did like magic. He said Phil most shops will put a fuel pump or several other things to fix the non existing problem, sure is nice having an honest mechanic!! By the way this happens on many various makes and models of cars/trucks!!

I am going to post this on the board also!!

Phil

mrfixxall
04-06-2009, 11:53 AM
I had a starting problem on my 02 sub and asked Jim Buz a friends and my mechanic for ideas, below is my response to Jim who did come up with most of the info, thanks again Jim.

Now the starting problem!!!!!!!!!!

You Are Not Going to believe!!!! It was a security system issue, here is what happened/happens! You leave you car/truck unlocked for an extended period, when you return you open the passenger door before you open the drivers door and the security system locks out the fuel. I stopped by my mechanic this AM and told him he needs to go and get my truck, he asked what happened I explained I left it unlocked over night and whn I got back it would not start. First question did Bonnie open the the passenger door first I said yes, he said there is nothing wrong I said **** it won't start. He said first turn the door lock several times with the key then activate several times with the clicker then try to start, if it does not start turn the ignition of and on about 1/2 doz times then wait 30 seconds ant start it which it did like magic. He said Phil most shops will put a fuel pump or several other things to fix the non existing problem, sure is nice having an honest mechanic!! By the way this happens on many various makes and models of cars/trucks!!

I am going to post this on the board also!!

Phil

was the secutity light flashing? It reads in the owners manuel that if the security light is on or flashing the vehicle wont start..

Ive had several of gm's do this.. somtimes its what you stated,somtimes its the resister for the vats or pass lock and or the ignition lock cylinder could be worn out..

just to add to mops solution, ive also had to relearn the pcm for the pass lock in the secutity system..it takes about 1/2 hour to do so,first turn ignition on and bump starter but dont try to start the engine,leave it sit for 10 min,watch the security light,when it turns off repete step 1 two more times and the values are learned..

hope this helps..in some cases you dont relearn the pass lock it will leave toy stranded again..

MOP
04-06-2009, 01:03 PM
No the security light did not come on and stay on everything on the dash looked fine, I did see a post on a GM site about the security light but that related to something else. Some simple but could really spoil your day.

Phil

BUIZILLA
04-06-2009, 01:15 PM
bet you'll never again open Bonnie's door first ... :troll:

zelatore
04-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Never happened to me....

maybe because I don't buy GM! :biggrin.:

MOP
04-06-2009, 03:35 PM
My guy says even many of the upper level imports do the same thing, it is not limited to GM products.

Jim I will trip her if she tries to beat me to the truck!!!:biggrin:

zelatore
04-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Weird. I'd have sworn this was one of those urban myth type things but you guys seem to know what you're talking about.

I'm sure I've left our BMW/Audi/Saab unlocked overnight in the past and then opened the passenger door. No problems

Just weird.

MOP
04-08-2009, 10:45 AM
This is from Goolge on the problem, apparently it affects many models/years. My mechanic said many other brands and also imports have this feature. It may pay to look into it before it happens to you, it was very frustratiog plus needing a ride home and the back & forth after wards. You should be able to search any make or model for the issue.

Chevrolet below
http://www.google.com/search?q=chevr...ient=firefox-a (http://www.google.com/search?q=chevrolet+fuel+lock+out+problem&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)

Phil