PDA

View Full Version : dead battery

zedohsix
04-06-2009, 10:07 AM
have a sweet 16 with a transplanted 350, battery is shot, what would you guys recommend

VetteLT193
04-06-2009, 10:24 AM
I've had really good luck with the Wal Mart yellow batteries. they are the same as sears die hard.

Another option I'm looking right now at is Optima Blue top. they are on sale at Costco right now and I want to add a 2nd battery.

fogducker III
04-06-2009, 10:26 AM
I've had really good luck with the Wal Mart yellow batteries. they are the same as sears die hard.

Another option I'm looking right now at is Optima Blue top. they are on sale at Costco right now and I want to add a 2nd battery.

I second the above, Lordco had them on sale as well, I believe I got mine for $149Cdn...........:yes:

zedohsix
04-06-2009, 11:30 AM
bump

fogducker III
04-06-2009, 11:46 AM
bump

were you looking for a different answer.....:confused:

zedohsix
04-06-2009, 11:57 AM
looking for as mant opinons as I can get

mrfixxall
04-06-2009, 11:58 AM
the interstate batterys in my boat were put in in 2000 and still work fine,so i would say interstate makes the best battery out their..make their the megatron plus..

mattyboy
04-06-2009, 12:36 PM
the largest battery that will fit, not sure where your battery is located and if you have a hard battery box or not, usually a group 24 battery is the one especially if it is in the back seat

BlownCrewCab
04-06-2009, 01:11 PM
I Had a red top Optima (Dead after 13 months) Now I have a Yellow top Optima, (Going Dead after 13 Months) Save the extra Jack and buy 2 wal Marts or Die Hards. Optimas may look good-But Thats It-Looks......

mrfixxall
04-06-2009, 01:13 PM
I Had a red top Optima (Dead after 13 months) Now I have a Yellow top Optima, (Going Dead after 13 Months) Save the extra Jack and buy 2 wal Marts or Die Hards. Optimas may look good-But Thats It-Looks......

Ditto!nfg unless you keep a battery maintainer on it or them..

MOP
04-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Some good stuff above!! One thing DO NOT buy West Marine batteries, I am a dealer for them and did use their batteries. Almost all dies after the first year, I switch to auto parts supplied marine grade I replace one last years after 3 years and I guess the other will go bye bye this year. Paid a bit more but got 3 years instead on one so the good ones were real cheap. Also contrary to those not in the know do not over size the battery for the application, Big Griz and I have posted on this a few times. A battery to maintain a decent life span must be worked, using a more powerful one ends up in wasted money and premature battery failure!

Phil

Ed Donnelly
04-06-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm very familiar with premature... OOOH we are talking batteries.........Ed

BigGrizzly
04-06-2009, 06:17 PM
This will save you a premature battery failure no matter what before you install it charge it with a low amp charge for several hours. If you do install it and it has not been properly charged it will cap the battery and will never get the full potential out of it.

DonziJon
04-06-2009, 07:00 PM
I like to Coax my batterys back to life after winter. I start out with a Half Amp (.5) charger (looks like a "Twelve Volt Plug In Adapter") on my motorcycle batterys. Make sure it has enough fluid in the battery...look through the battery case with a flashlight. I just put one on my big bike this afternoon. I will keep it on overnight. Initial voltage on the bike battery was less than 11 volts. Tomorrow I will remove the charger for a day or two to let the battery rest and then put it back on for another 12 hours. I may repeat this routine a few times. I almost Never ride the bikes...but the batterys last for YEARS with this treatment.

The boat battery will get the same treatment with a One Amp charger with the same treatment. Keep the water (distilled only) topped off in the battery case or you will dry out the plates during charging and ruin the battery. John

gcarter
04-06-2009, 08:28 PM
I'm a huge believer in the Sam's Club/WalMart battery procedure.
Where could you go boating in the USA anyway, where you couldn't find a WalMart to get a FREE replacement (24 months, I think) on very short order?

I do the same w/all my company's vehicles. I don't ever want to hear about one of my service people complaining abou a dead battery when all they have to do is go to the nearest WalMart.

zelatore
04-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Where could you go boating in the USA anyway, where you couldn't find a WalMart to get a FREE replacement (24 months, I think) on very short order?

Lake Powell comes to mind. Ain't nothin' round there!

last year my new GPS died the first day on the lake. I made some calls to see if I could get on drop-shipped in, but even FedEx didn't run weekend deliveries to Page, AZ. Closest I could get was Vegas!

VetteLT193
04-06-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm a huge believer in the Sam's Club/WalMart battery procedure.

I do the same w/all my company's vehicles. I don't ever want to hear about one of my service people complaining abou a dead battery when all they have to do is go to the nearest WalMart.

The other bonus of wally world's batteries is they come with this little BS plastic sleeve on the side. you buy the battery then take the receipt and put it in the sleeve and seal it shut.

Battery goes bad and the receipt is right there where you can find it and check the date... return as necessary.

DC18
04-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Interstate megatron plus, group 24. I also pull my battery out of the boat for the winter and put it on a battery tender. Have been doing this for years. Batteries usually last four to five years. I also put the tender on if I won't be using the boat for a while.