PDA

View Full Version : Can MSU do it?

Tony
04-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Can the Spartans beat three #1 seeds in a row?
Many wrote them off against Louisville, and then again against U-Conn.

Well, the naysayers are eating their words, and realizing that some of the big horses are not used to the type of defense State plays. Also, very few coaches are as good as Tom Izzo in preparing their teams in two days.

Should be a good game...

:beer:

Carl C
04-06-2009, 05:14 AM
Can you say Cinderella?

Ghost
04-06-2009, 09:02 AM
I'm sticking by my UNC over MSU prediction from the Sweet 16, but my hat is off to Coach Izzo and the Spartans. It would certainly be exciting to see them pull off the big upset back in their home state. They're playing with a lot of heart. (Though there were about 40 seconds of sheer terror from 1:56 to 1:16 the other day.) And it's good to see the the Big 10 make a splash at the dance. Good luck tonight State.

P.S. Carolina has really been a buzzsaw in the tourney, but sometimes, a team that hasn't played a close one gets the jitters when they finally do get pushed. Be interesting to see if MSU can do just that, especially with 70k+ at Ford Field, and unravel them a bit. In 10 games with State, I bet they win 8 or 9. But the same was true of USA-USSR in 1980. I'm hoping for a wild one.

mike o
04-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Thats whats great about sports. Sometimes big heart beats big talent.:yes:

RedDog
04-06-2009, 05:19 PM
I voted for the Tarheels, but I want the Spartans to win.

RedDog
04-06-2009, 10:44 PM
..., very few coaches are as good as Tom Izzo in preparing their teams in two days.

Should be a good game...

Good thing he had them prepared, or it would have been even uglier - MSU didn't stand a chance from the get-go

Carl C
04-06-2009, 10:54 PM
The Spartans stunk the place up. That really sucked.....:(

Cuda
04-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Can the Spartans beat three #1 seeds in a row?
Many wrote them off against Louisville, and then again against U-Conn.

Well, the naysayers are eating their words, and realizing that some of the big horses are not used to the type of defense State plays. Also, very few coaches are as good as Tom Izzo in preparing their teams in two days.

Should be a good game...

Not. I fell alseep before it was over.

Ghost
04-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Funny, I fell asleep too. I woke up at around 1AM and just started work for the day.

I feel for MSU. I think Carolina was just too much, and the way they started shooting really changed the whole rest of the game. Great run by the Spartans this year--and the final game was not indicative of their accomplishments.

Cuda
04-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Funny, I fell asleep too. I woke up at around 1AM and just started work for the day.

I feel for MSU. I think Carolina was just too much, and the way they started shooting really changed the whole rest of the game. Great run by the Spartans this year--and the final game was not indicative of their accomplishments.
The last I remember was the Majic Johnson interview at half time.

Tony
04-07-2009, 07:18 PM
An underdog will struggle if it shoots poorly, has turnovers, or runs into a hot opponent.
Unfortunately, all three things befell the Spartans on Monday night.

Tyler Hansbrough is a maniac, and Ty Lawson is crazy strong as well as blazing fast.
NC played very well, and showed its superior talent for most of the game.

Twice in the second half State cut the lead to a dozen or so, one possession away from a single digit deficit, and the crowd went wild with that thought. But...an MSU turnover, or a clutch NC play, thwarted any comeback thoughts.

Although it was a bad game, MSU had a great season. (No other team in the nation can claim five Final Four appearances in the last eleven years.) Plus, MSU should be strong again next year with many key contributors returning.

Cuda
04-07-2009, 08:40 PM
An underdog will struggle if it shoots poorly, has turnovers, or runs into a hot opponent.
Unfortunately, all three things befell the Spartans on Monday night.

Tyler Hansbrough is a maniac, and Ty Lawson is crazy strong as well as blazing fast.
NC played very well, and showed its superior talent for most of the game.

Twice in the second half State cut the lead to a dozen or so, one possession away from a single digit deficit, and the crowd went wild with that thought. But...an MSU turnover, or a clutch NC play, thwarted any comeback thoughts.

Although it was a bad game, MSU had a great season. (No other team in the nation can claim five Final Four appearances in the last eleven years.) Plus, MSU should be strong again next year with many key contributors returning.

................and if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

Tony
04-07-2009, 08:57 PM

Uhhh, O.K...whatever it is you're trying to say.

Good job, btw, to chrisc2, Ghost, RedDog, and undertaker for picking the winner!

gold-n-rod
04-07-2009, 09:24 PM

One of my favorite sayings. Actually, at my house it was, "And if my aunt had a dick, she would be my uncle." (Same idea).

Tony, it's a way of saying yes, anything's possible... but not realistic. Kind of like the old joke about the difference between potentially and realistically.

Cuda's doubting aside... it was a great run and I'm proud of the Sparts!!!