PDA

View Full Version : Alter a 16 for more storage?

Okie2
04-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Have Donziweasel's 16 classic & need just a touch more storage space...have 2 life jackets under bench seat around the battery & two more in ski storage....need just a little more space for a couple of bumpers & an anchor....Plenty of room in engine compartment along hull....anyway to add some SAFE storage area to the hull? Any ideas? ps...Just installed BBlades labbed Mirage Plus 25 & just waiting for weather to test out. Thanks guys. Scott

lee
04-05-2009, 12:24 PM
the 4 pack of life jackets from west marine fits perfectly under deck in ski locker space in my classic and there out of the way but will sink with boat in a emergency oooops

Sam
04-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Depending on where your anchoring you might want to look into a folding anchor. As for fenders get yourself some flat ones, they stow easy and wont roll at the dock.

Carl C
04-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Yours is a common complaint on the Classic line. I opened up the entire under bow area for a huge storage space and room to crawl in and sleep or get out of the weather if need be. It's a lot of work to do it right though and not for everyone. If you're interested I can point you to the thread. BTW, mine is a 22! No way you will be able to crawl in there on a 16 but you could utilize a lot of wasted stowage space.

Sam
04-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Forget about altering anything under the deck of the 16, it's not worth the trouble. You have a fuel tank and lot's of foam in there for starters. Just get your self some small plastic storage containers with lids and screw them in on either side of the engine. Your probably going to have to take the exhaust riser off to get better access to the area.

Carl C
04-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Forget about altering anything under the deck of the 16, it's not worth the trouble. You have a fuel tank and lot's of foam in there for starters. Just get your self some small plastic storage containers with lids and screw them in on either side of the engine. Your probably going to have to take the exhaust riser off to get better access to the area.

I'm not too familiar with the 16 so you are probably right Sam. I do remember Randy "Gold-n-rod" saying that there wasn't even room for a cigar box in the engine room of his 16!

mattyboy
04-05-2009, 06:04 PM
does a 2 + 2 16 have a floor Locker??, and I assume the ski locker is centered like the 18, the ski sporter had more storgage the ski locker and floor locker held all the supplies and equipment we needed

Sam
04-05-2009, 06:06 PM
You got that right Carl, I can barley get a scrub brush / mop in there. Every time I look at a 22 bilge I get a big case of bilge envy :rlol:.

Matty, no Locker just a forward space that is big enough for some skis or what ever. Not very practical for that as they would come flying back in a heart beat.

Okie2
04-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Yup...just the center cut out for ski under the bow...pretty tough access...may shove the crap forward & use 4 life jackets to hold everything in place...will use a light folding navy anchor...may built a "hold down" for it.....Have the 22 pontoon to hold everything else....Don't really mind how tiny the boat is....as it is a tow along from the pontoon....would crap it was the only boat & an "all day" boat....Will just have to make do a AWOTH in May....Thanks all, Scott

Donzi Vol
04-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Or you can do it my way which is throw on a life jacket, go go go, and tell the water patrol that you just have no idea where your anchor, fire extinguisher, and paddle are. "Must have flown out, officer! The boat is REALLY fast!"

mattyboy
04-06-2009, 06:17 AM
Sam,
thinking about this is yours a center fuel fill?? that would limit the length of the ski locker, on a skisporter the ski locker runs up the starboard side past the center fuel fill. I guess the buckets seats are too close to have a floor locker??

My floor locker was pretty big
it held 4 bumpers ,a mushroom anchor with 100' of line, flare kit, and a telescoping paddle

Sam
04-06-2009, 07:08 AM
Yep it sure is Matty but it must make a dog leg because the stowage area goes pretty far forward..............Hmmmm ? Now you have me thinking, I'll have to take a look under there.

AndyDiSario
04-06-2009, 11:01 AM
I own a 1972 16 Classic with the outboard.

I bought two 2-pack net-bags from West Marine, each containing a pair of adult lifevests. I mounted a small u-clip on the driver's footwell bulkhead to attach the net-bag clips to. I simply toss the bags down into the cavernous starboard well under the bow deck. They're a bit tricky to remove, but feasible. Pull on the bag strap. Lift each bag high against the lower side of the bow deck, then drag rearward. Just did so on Saturday, matter of fact, after being pulled over in the Everglades. (No citations, thankfully.)

I use the bow ski locker to store two Fortress Guardian danforth aluminum, mudular anchors, with SS chain and shackles from West Marine.

My wife and I make good use of the center locker and spacious storage under the stern bench seat. The outboard also has two extra storage compartments, each to the port and starboard of the outboard well. Again, these come in handy, however this unfortunately does not apply to the more-common I/O models. Perhaps there is safe space to restrain and store items in the hull next to the motor, but that adds many considerations. (In our Waverunner, I do store items in the stern bow tub, above the sealed driveshaft, next to the battery, under the gunnels, for example). Storage in small boats is always a challenge!

Hope this helps, a least somewhat,
Andy DiSario
Boca Raton, FL
DiSario@bellsouth.net
561-479-0578

Sam
04-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Scott, are you still planning on making AOTH ?

Okie2
04-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Sam....Reservations confirmed for a cabin at Jamestown Marina...not yet for a boat slip...worry about that later....Can't wait.... question: the lunch at the other marina (don't recall the name) appears on the map to be about a 35 mile run....that about right? Pretty far for 4 adults in a 16!!!!

Sam
04-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Okie2 see me about the boat slip. It looks like I'll have an extra one being that my roomy won't be able to make it. As for the 35 mi run don't worry you'll be fine. There's never been a time when I had any reservations about running. Besides your going to have plenty of company. Trust me I've towed folks and have been towed, we leave no man for the buzzards.

Sam

Okie2
04-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the offer! Funny..."leave no man for buzzards"....Reminds me a a plaque that a friend once gave to my father (he was a real type "A" personality...had absolutley no patience).....Plaque was picture of two old buzzards sitting on a tree top with the inscription: "Patience my ass, I'm going to kill something". Scott

David Ochs
04-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Scott,
On my 1969 16' with port helm, I cut an opening under the starboard wraparound bench that is identical to the factory cutout for the battery compartment. This was done years ago when I had the lid off for restoration. I glassed in a small ledge to create a hatch with a single finger hole in it for removal. Works great, and holds a lot of stuff that we don't access on a regular basis. In there are the lifejackets, maunal bilge pump, anchor and rode, even spare prop. Some may argue that the lifejackets should be more accessible, but it only takes a second to remove the cushion in an emergency. An option to doing the glass work would be to use a manufactured access hatch, such as in the Overton's catalog. There is a ton of wasted space there and the added weight is insignificant, plus it's a whole lot easier than climbing forward or standing on your head getting into the engine compartment when you need something.
Just my $.02 !

Just Say N20
04-08-2009, 11:49 AM
Scott,
On my 1969 16' with port helm, I cut an opening under the starboard wraparound bench that is identical to the factory cutout for the battery compartment.

Do you have any pictures? I am going to have to redo the entire seat bottom on my 16, and it makes sense to take advantage of this project to get some more storage.

Thanks!
Bill

David Ochs
04-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Bill,

I used to have a dozen or so pictures on the old "Registry", but that section appears to have been removed from the website.
The only pictures I have from the project are before digital, so I'd have to do some serious digging through some boxes. If you're serious, I'm happy to do so for you, won't have a chance to do so until next week though.

Dave

Just Say N20
04-10-2009, 12:40 AM
Bill,
I used to have a dozen or so pictures on the old "Registry", but that section appears to have been removed from the website.
The only pictures I have from the project are before digital, so I'd have to do some serious digging through some boxes. If you're serious, I'm happy to do so for you, won't have a chance to do so until next week though.
Dave

Thanks for offering to look them up, but that sounds like a LOT of work. I am serious, but I think I should be able to figure it out once I start cutting.

If the spirit moves you, I'd delightfully accept, if not, that is fine too.

Bill

Greg Guimond
12-26-2009, 05:03 PM
I have the second storage locker under the lounge seating as well, just like David.........

Fluffy Foo-Foo
12-26-2009, 05:47 PM
David and Greg, I'm with Bill and would also delightfully accept any pictures if you find the time to dig them out.

Reading this thread and knowing that there is ZERO room in the engine compartment, got me thinking about the lack of storage on a 16!

Thanks,
Steve

Greg Guimond
12-26-2009, 06:05 PM
F3,

I can dig some up but heading off for vacation tomorrow so it will be a couple of weeks if that is ok.

Fluffy Foo-Foo
12-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Greg,

That would be great.
No hurry...Got all winter:frown:.

Steve

joseph m. hahnl
12-27-2009, 08:19 AM
Cargo Nets are a simple :yes:

you can mount them any where. no cutting and modifying of any thing and easily removable. Most of the stuff your looking to store seems light and used regularly. Mount a couple on the motor compartment walls.Or even large one under the bow forming a sort of shelf.

This is a motorcycle tank or seat net. You'll get the idea. I'm sure they even make them for marine use. That's kind of where the got there beginning:wink:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Q8YERYWWL._SL500_AA280_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000HX55ZA/ref=dp_image_z_0?ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive)

HIGH LIFE
12-30-2009, 05:14 PM
After running a 16 O/B for just 1 season, storage in a PIA ! Should have bought a I/O boat and used a bracket to hang the o/b on. Would have plenty of storage in the engine room !! I did this on my 27' MAGNUM SEDAN that I put 300X Mercs on, you could sleep 2 people in there !!! "HIGH LIFE"