PDA

View Full Version : New 64 Bit Vista Laptop

RedDog
04-04-2009, 04:13 PM
I picked up a new laptop and didn't really know what I was getting - oh well...

It is a Sony VGN-FW270J w/ P8400 dual core processor and 4 gig of ram and a 320 gig HD. Turns out it is a 64 bit operating system. I didn't know the ramifications of that until today - starting installing software and device drivers. Well some older software is not compatible with a 64 bit operating system. Also some hardware. My laser printer will not work with it - no upgraded drivers made. My ink-jet "All-in-1" had new drivers available.

I will say that MS Office 2007 is really fast with this system. Computer start-up time is also really fast - in comparison to my older Sony XP laptop.

This laptop has some nice features: wide screen, Blue Ray drive, HDMI 1080p output - can't wait to hook it to my large screen TV.

zelatore
04-04-2009, 08:39 PM
I just ordered a new laptop for work (just a basic Dell...don't have the specs here at home) and made a point of getting the 'downgrade' to XP, although it does come with a copy of Vista-sumthinerother for later.

synack
04-05-2009, 04:39 AM
I've been running x64 systems for the last two years (previously Vista and now a beta copy of Windows7) and have had issues early on. Any issues that I had with x64 were usually related to old hardware that the manufacturer didn't support anymore or had shoddy support to begin with.

Also, going with a x64 Operating System is the only way to support 4Gb RAM. 32 bit systems max out at 3Gb. That's usually why PCs with >3Gb RAM are x64.

About 15 years ago we went from 8bit to 16bit....then 10 years ago the transition from 16 bit to 32.... Will we be going from 64 bit to 128 in the next 5-10 years?

I picked up a new laptop and didn't really know what I was getting - oh well...

It is a Sony VGN-FW270J w/ P8400 dual core processor and 4 gig of ram and a 320 gig HD. Turns out it is a 64 bit operating system. I didn't know the ramifications of that until today - starting installing software and device drivers. Well some older software is not compatible with a 64 bit operating system. Also some hardware. My laser printer will not work with it - no upgraded drivers made. My ink-jet "All-in-1" had new drivers available.

I will say that MS Office 2007 is really fast with this system. Computer start-up time is also really fast - in comparison to my older Sony XP laptop.

This laptop has some nice features: wide screen, Blue Ray drive, HDMI 1080p output - can't wait to hook it to my large screen TV.

MOP
04-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Office Max's have in house tech's that will do the down grade, not sure of cost but maybe there is something on their site. When I went shopping for a portable XP was top on my list.

Phil

Carl C
04-06-2009, 05:44 AM

I use a Sony Vaio for work only because I got a good deal. I'm not a big Sony fan. I play my blu-rays through my PS3. You will find that blu-ray discs are inconsistant. Some are no better than standard DVD in progressive scan and I have a 64" TV so I can see the difference. I have not yet seen a blu-ray disc that looked as good as broadcast High def.

RedDog
04-06-2009, 10:10 PM
... I have not yet seen a blu-ray disc that looked as good as broadcast High def.

Interesting. I had hoped it would be the opposite. I rented a Blu-Ray movie from blockbuster on Sunday. It skipped and shuttered so bad it was unwatchable. I don't know if it was my computer or the disk? I returned it and they gave me a credit for another. I'll try it again next weekend.

RedDog
04-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Office Max's have in house tech's that will do the down grade, not sure of cost but maybe there is something on their site. When I went shopping for a portable XP was top on my list.

Phil

I don't think a downgrade to XP is an option on a 64-bit machine. It you're going new, you might as well go with the state-of-the-art or stay with what you have.

CaribouLou
05-10-2009, 04:12 PM
There is a 64bit version of XP. Also, 32 bit supports up to 4 gigs of ram ;)

MOP
05-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Many people are disenchanted with Vista I just bought a lap top and that was my maing thing to get XP, Windows 7 will be out soon it looks fairly decent. I know a couple of MS beta testers, like any other there are few minor bugs but they say it makes Vista look even crappier then it is.

CaribouLou
05-13-2009, 12:01 PM
I've been running Windows 7 for months....

marcdups
05-28-2009, 09:29 PM
So what is the best you would get to run Rinda diagnostics and with good wifi capabilities, as am in the field all the time !!