PDA

View Full Version : alpha shift bellows

VetteLT193
04-04-2009, 02:40 PM
What's the trick to changing the shift bellows on an Alpha 1 Gen 1?

Drive is off, stripped down, main bellows is off.

I can't figure out how to get the shift cable off in order to get the new bellows installed.

gcarter
04-04-2009, 02:56 PM
The large end of the shift bellows has a conventional clamp, the small end, just a spring clamp and clamps to the smooth cable housing. An extra long deep socket is required to remove the cable housing from the bell housing. It's a bunch longer than a standard deep socket. They are frequently for sale on eBay for $10.00 or so. Ya gotta have this tool.

Good luck.

VetteLT193
04-04-2009, 03:02 PM
I have the tool but there is some part in the way at the end of the shift cable. it's a long square piece with a set screw at the end. I can't get the tool over the whole part...

VetteLT193
04-04-2009, 03:07 PM
here is a pic

gcarter
04-04-2009, 03:46 PM
That is attached to the cable core. If you don't want to remove it, just loosen the two set screws at the shift plate end on the engine and you then can just pull the core out of the housing from the drive end of the cable.
You'll have to adjust the shift plate end after you get the new bellows installed and reassemble the core in the housing.

gcarter
04-04-2009, 03:49 PM
That fitting is installed w/red Loctite, if I remember correctly so a little heat on the bell housing may be required to get it loose.

VetteLT193
04-04-2009, 09:18 PM
I don't mind removing it, but I can't figure out how. I removed the set screw and the cable was loose from the square box thing but I couldn't get the square box thing off of the cable.

It sounds like you are saying remove the cable from the inside of the bilge and just pull the whole thing through?

This drive was engineered by monkeys.

BTW, my brother Eddie says hello. He's helping me drink beer while watching the transom. hahaha

gcarter
04-05-2009, 08:47 AM
Yep, just pull the entire cable.
Tell Eddie I said Hi!

BTW, the Alpha gimbal was a direct result of the Pre-Alpha and the "R", so what you're talking about was developed about 40 years ago.

VetteLT193
04-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Yep, just pull the entire cable.
Tell Eddie I said Hi!

BTW, the Alpha gimbal was a direct result of the Pre-Alpha and the "R", so what you're talking about was developed about 40 years ago.

Thanks George. Cable pulled, everything is apart. new bearing installed... I decided to buy new trim senders because I don't want to go near this part of the boat for a LONG time.

Eddie is on his way home... waiting for more parts now:rolleyes:

The good news is my brother surprised me with a stereo so I put that in. I need speakers and I'll probably buy and install those before I finish the drive just so I have something to listen to.