PDA

View Full Version : Interesting facts.....(political, I guess)

HOWARD O
04-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Received this in an email, some of it I knew, some of it was enlightening. I added the graphic at the end though:

Professor Joseph Olson of Hemline University School of Law, St. Paul, Minnesota, points out some interesting facts concerning the Presidential election:

• Number of States won by: Democrats: 19 Republicans: 29

• Square miles of land won by: Democrats: 580,000 Republicans: 2,427,000

• Population of counties won by: Democrats: 127 million Republicans: 143 million

• Murder rate per 100,000 residents in counties won by: Democrats: 13.2 Republicans: 2.1

Professor Olson adds: "In aggregate, the map of the territory Republicans won was mostly the land owned by the taxpaying citizens of the country. Democrat territory mostly encompassed those citizens living in government-owned tenements and living off various forms of government welfare..."

Olson believes the United States is now somewhere between the "complacency and apathy" phase of Professor Tyler's definition of democracy, with some forty percent of the nation's population already having reached the "governmental dependency" phase.

If Congress grants amnesty and citizenship to twenty million criminal invaders called illegals and they vote, then we can say goodbye to the USA in fewer than five years. If you are in favor of this, then by all means, delete this message.

If you are not, then pass this along to help everyone realize just how much is at stake, knowing that apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.

http://www.warehousenb.com/dead.jpg

boxy
04-04-2009, 01:25 PM
MOst of the email is bull**** .......

http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/tyler.asp.

http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/whats_the_deal_with_prof_joseph_olsons.html

This chain e-mail is a hoax. The "statistics" are grossly incorrect, and Prof. Olson says he didn't write it.
First, Joseph Olson is a professor at Hamline (not Hemline) University School of Law in St. Paul, Minn. None of what appears in this e-mail was written by him. He has been denying authorship of this old hoax since earlier versions first cropped up after the 2000 election. Most recently he posted a disclaimer about the 2008 version on his university profile page:

Olson: There is an e-mail floating around the internet dealing with the 2008 Obama/McCain election and the 2000 Bush/Gore election, remarks of a Scottish philosopher named Alexander Tyler, etc. Part of it is attributed to me. It is entirely BOGUS as to my authorship. I've been trying to kill it since December 2000. For details see: http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/tyler.asp.

McGary911
04-04-2009, 05:39 PM
I'd say about 90% of these emails are BS. My dad always forwards them to me. I typically reply back with the Snopes link. Thank God for the internet's best BS detector. :yes:

Cuda
04-04-2009, 05:42 PM
I know a lady from Texas that got on CNN because she was mad they called the race for the dems early. That's not a hoax.

Ghost
04-04-2009, 06:41 PM
It's kinda funny. The interpretations from the professor are made up.

But most of the stats are right, or very close, and I think the gist of what the mail is getting at is correct as well. The stat about the murder rates appears to be the one that's off by a lot. According to snopes, the real stats aren't in a 6.5-1 ratio, only in a 2-1 or 1.5-1 ratio. Which is still extremely significant. And, I bet they are even more interesting when you measure more precisely than just "county by county."

Absolutely fascinating are some of the analyses that snopes cites, which are useful for data but misleading as all get-out if you ask me. I have to do some more analysis on my own about it, but it has to do with "Republican" states getting more of the federal tax dollars then "Democratic" states. The implication being that conservatives are really the ones on welfare. Some amazing and sneaky BS in the way they do their math. Some of it I have already figured out, some of it has me even more interested in macroeconomics.

I gotta say, I have long liked snopes, and find them useful, but I am starting to find more and more examples of where they very subtly lean.

zelatore
04-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Some amazing and sneaky BS in the way they do their math.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56910

6th post, 2nd song......

Cuda
04-04-2009, 08:33 PM
A professor must have a theory as a dog must have fleas.

HOWARD O
04-05-2009, 09:38 AM
I'd say about 90% of these emails are BS. My dad always forwards them to me. I typically reply back with the Snopes link. Thank God for the internet's best BS detector. :yes:

I did get this from my Dad, actually. I usually reply back with the snopes too, but admittedly, I probably didn't delve into this one because I wanted to agree with it. :rlol:

Boxy, why didn't I get the "rules" link on this one? Were you so excited in your fervor to prove it wrong that you forgot about the rules? My, how convenient for you! But not hypocritical, I would never suggest that..... :rolleyes:

roadtrip se
04-06-2009, 10:09 AM
You look like a moron and a bully all wrapped up in one here. Congrats, that takes some energy and motivation.

Standard operating procedure for you and a couple of others here:

1) Post some crap that may not or may not be based in fact. Very much akin to a drive-by shooting.

2) Your addition to the content is to predict the end to the world as we know it.

3) Somebody calls you on it. You go ape crap, and start hurling names and accusations around. Generally, these are about as accurate and filled with about as much original thought as the post that started it all.

4) Rinse, repeat.

This isn't reasonable political discourse amongst friends, for which it seems the moderators here have seemingly decided to relax the posted forums rules on, just garbage.

Sorry, if you don't like being called on it, but the best way to stop the noise, is to stop posting junk that doesn't have any value.

Problem solved.

Tony
04-06-2009, 04:58 PM
:yes:

:beer: