PDA

View Full Version : Could his boat have been more aprly named...

Last Tango
04-01-2009, 02:55 PM
MIAMI (April 1) - Federal authorities seized disgraced financier Bernard Madoff's antique yacht and a smaller boat from two Florida marinas early Wednesday, part of an effort to recoup assets to pay back his swindled investors.
The 55-foot yacht named "Bull" and a 24-foot motor boat were taken from marinas on Florida's east coast, said Barry Golden, a spokesman for the U.S. Marshals Service. The yacht, a 1969 Rybovich, is worth $2.2 million.

"A lot of money was put into maintaining this boat," said Golden. "This boat was extremely well kept, extremely clean. Engine compartment was spotless. It looked like somebody took a bottle of 409 and scrubbed it every day."
Madoff, 70, is in jail pending sentencing for pleading guilty to charges he swindled billions from investors in what could be the biggest scam in Wall Street history. He faces a maximum sentence of 150 years behind bars.
Prosecutors are seizing as much as they can of Madoff's personal fortune, and have begun demanding millions of dollars in payments from his relatives. Roughly 6,700 people have filed claims for a share of whatever is recovered. Thousands more — some who lost in excess of $1 million — are expected to come forward.
Court documents filed by Madoff's attorneys have indicated Madoff and his wife had up to $826 million in assets at the end of last year — including the boats. Madoff also has an $11 million, five-bedroom mansion in Florida's ritzy Palm Beach Island.
If prosecutors get their way, Madoff and his wife, who has not been charged, will have to give up all their assets, including a $7 million Manhattan penthouse bought in 1984, the Florida home, a $1 million home in Cap d' Antibes, France and a $3 million luxury home on New York's Long Island. The government also wants Madoff and his wife to forfeit $10 million in furnishings for all the homes and luxury cars, among other items.
Defense attorneys have indicated they may try to keep the Manhattan apartment, as well as about $62 million in securities, for his wife.
On Wednesday, Madoff's lawyer Ira Sorkin spoke briefly about the governmnet seizing his client's assets.

justleft
04-01-2009, 03:36 PM
Oh, that is great.

His wife should be able to keep the $7 mil condo and $62 mil in securities !!!

Poor thing. (sounds like my x)

mattyboy
04-01-2009, 03:41 PM
well let's see i can think of a couple of names
for the boat
Miss Lead
Miss Appropriation
Miss Represented
Miss Your Money

Miss My Freedom

BUIZILLA
04-01-2009, 03:44 PM
I spent the better part of last year working on a boat that was tied up about 6' from this one, as in across the walkway.... the *BULL* is absolutely the most gorgeous Rybo you have ever layed eyes on... spectacular is a better term.... :worthy: Dave, the dockmaster, told me it belonged to a New York Money Mafia man... little did I know...

http://i.l.cnn.net/money/2009/04/01/news/companies/madoff_assets/madoff_bull.03.jpg

Ghost
04-01-2009, 04:03 PM
well let's see i can think of a couple of names
for the boat
Miss Lead
Miss Appropriation
Miss Represented
Miss Your Money

Miss My Freedom

Sea Rook

hardcrab
04-01-2009, 04:16 PM
His name is ironic also ; "Made off" (with the loot)

zelatore
04-01-2009, 05:41 PM
I spent the better part of last year working on a boat that was tied up about 6' from this one, as in across the walkway.... the *BULL* is absolutely the most gorgeous Rybo you have ever layed eyes on... spectacular is a better term.... :worthy: Dave, the dockmaster, told me it belonged to a New York Money Mafia man... little did I know...

http://i.l.cnn.net/money/2009/04/01/news/companies/madoff_assets/madoff_bull.03.jpg

Good Lord! How high is the roof on that covered slip to get a full tower'ed sport fisher under it???:eek:

Around here about 20'-22' is all you can get - even at that you've got to drop the antennas to get in.

gold-n-rod
04-01-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm thinking a name for one of my future Donzis might be "Donzi Scheme."

I like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin.:

hardcrab
04-01-2009, 06:54 PM
I'm thinking a name for one of my future Donzis might be "Donzi Scheme."
I like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin.:

I was avoiding making a reference to " The Ponzi Registry "

:rolleyes:

BUIZILLA
04-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Good Lord! How high is the roof on that covered slip to get a full tower'ed sport fisher under it???:eek: when that pic was taken the 65 I was working on was transom to transom with that boat, if that pic went full field you would see the tower of the 65 Donzi was taller than that one, in fact that 65 bird tower canvas only cleared the roof by about a foot at mean high tide.. the 55 was in that slot because they had the 65 in front of it, and that huge yacht next to it blocked in the 55 from being taken out for any reason, the big yacht beam wouldn't allow the 55 to be moved back... now I understand why they did what they did, when they put it there, they didn't want it moved for any reason.... and that's the rest of the story... things you learn 8 months after the fact... the Rybo boat is unfreackinbelievably gorgeous...

zelatore
04-01-2009, 09:54 PM
when that pic was taken the 65 I was working on was transom to transom with that boat, if that pic went full field you would see the tower of the 65 Donzi was taller than that one, in fact that 65 bird tower canvas only cleared the roof by about a foot at mean high tide.. the 55 was in that slot because they had the 65 in front of it, and that huge yacht next to it blocked in the 55 from being taken out for any reason, the big yacht beam wouldn't allow the 55 to be moved back... now I understand why they did what they did, when they put it there, they didn't want it moved for any reason.... and that's the rest of the story... things you learn 8 months after the fact... the Rybo boat is unfreackinbelievably gorgeous...

And now you're telling me on top of being the tallest covered slip I've seen it's not a floating dock? That sounds like a good way to cause some damage!

What's the big motoryacht in the background? Lazzera?