PDA

View Full Version : How Much for a '01 Sweet 16'?

lodi
04-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Please excuse me if this is in the wrong place for this post on the forum, as I'm not selling a boat. I'm trying to determine the value of a Donzi, Sweet 16 that I recently saw for sale. It is an '01 with a fuel injected 6-cyl. I am told that it has all available options except 'thru hull silent exhaust.' It has dual buckets and comes with trailer, cockpit cover and full cover. From my initial inspection the boat is in 'pristine' condition. I believe it has been run only in fresh water.

What I would like to know is:

1. Is the 6-cylinder good or bad? If bad, is it a deal breaker?
2. In purchasing a used Sweet 16, are there particular areas of concern that should be inspected or considered?
3. Assuming the condition and the features that I mentioned are accurate, what would be considered a great deal (for me!)?
4. How will the boat hold its value over the next couple of years?
5. Typically, is there a strong market for this boat, economy aside?

Seeing this boat for sale prompted me to join this forum. I have gone back and forth about buying a boat for the last couple of years because I live in Atlanta. This would really be a great configuration for my family because of its size (great for a lake), performance and versatility. However, I'm concerned that a V-6 might leave me wanting.

Thanks you in advance for your thoughts.

Best,

Dave

mattyboy
04-01-2009, 02:35 PM
a few questions

what do you want from the boat??

how will you use it

who will be with you when your on the boat

that will help us answer your questions

and if it is a dual bucket interior it is not a sweet 16 it is a 16 classic ;)

Donzi Racer
04-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Please excuse me if this is in the wrong place for this post on the forum, as I'm not selling a boat. I'm trying to determine the value of a Donzi, Sweet 16 that I recently saw for sale. It is an '01 with a fuel injected 6-cyl. I am told that it has all available options except 'thru hull silent exhaust.' It has dual buckets and comes with trailer, cockpit cover and full cover. From my initial inspection the boat is in 'pristine' condition. I believe it has been run only in fresh water.

What I would like to know is:

1. Is the 6-cylinder good or bad? If bad, is it a deal breaker?
2. In purchasing a used Sweet 16, are there particular areas of concern that should be inspected or considered?
3. Assuming the condition and the features that I mentioned are accurate, what would be considered a great deal (for me!)?
4. How will the boat hold its value over the next couple of years?
5. Typically, is there a strong market for this boat, economy aside?

Seeing this boat for sale prompted me to join this forum. I have gone back and forth about buying a boat for the last couple of years because I live in Atlanta. This would really be a great configuration for my family because of its size (great for a lake), performance and versatility. However, I'm concerned that a V-6 might leave me wanting.

Thanks you in advance for your thoughts.

Best,

Dave

Dave, Matty has the important things asked but I will tell you that the 6 cyl will surprise you. The ones we have had and driven were wonderful & the v-8's make more rumble but the 6 with the right prop can hit right at 60 mph and that is scooting along in a 16 foot boat. They are more waterskiing friendly and also sip fuel compared to the v-8s. The v-8's are usually quite a bit more expensive and I think the 6 is the way to go. So instead of a deal breaker, I would almost consider it a deal maker on a 16. The boat is a great 1st Donzi and then you will want an 18 then a 22. ha ha As far as value, the 90 to 94 16's have kept their value pretty well. They are normally from 6500 to 9500. Now you are starting to see 95 & 96 coming down under 10k. You may want to put the asking price of the one you are looking at. Any Donzi will be a great & wonderful experience. There is flat nothng like them. Well there you have my 2c. Tom

jl1962
04-01-2009, 03:33 PM
6 cylinder 16's are fine boats. Plenty fast (certainly mid -50's), quieter and a little cheaper to operate than an 8 cylinder boat. However, some like the rumble of a V-8, (although they are only a little faster) and some (like me) prefer the cachet of the older (1960's) boats. To echo Matty- a lot depends on your boating background, experience and expectations - also those of your passengers. But for blasting around on relatively calm water with like-minded passengers, a 16 is great. If you are on a bigger body of water - consider an 18. Either way - hang on tight!

A "steal" on a super clean '01 6cyl 16 is tough to define in this climate - but mid to high single digits (in thousands) would be pretty cheap.

JL
'67 Ski Sporter

mattyboy
04-01-2009, 04:05 PM
it could be a great deal but if it doesn't suit your needs then it's a bad deal
there are pros and cons to every model 16
give us an idea of how and where you boat and we can find the pros and cons for you

lodi
04-02-2009, 03:37 PM
OK, to answer a few questions...
I grew up around boats and jet skis in So. FL. I currently live in Atlanta, where we have some very nice lakes in close proximity. I would be using the boat to tool around with the family (wife & 2 small boys) and ski a bit. What appeals to me about he Sweet 16 is its size and manageability. By the way, your comments about the 6 cyl. is what I wanted to hear. The asking price of the boat I was looking at is $15K. Thanks for the good info.
Dave

VetteLT193
04-02-2009, 03:59 PM
There are plenty of 16's to be had for less money. not saying the one you are looking at isn't worth it, it's impossible to tell without at least pictures, etc.

I will say that a 16 with 2 adults and 2 kids is a full boat.

Donzi Vol
04-02-2009, 05:00 PM
Offer him 11 grand and see what he says. If the boat is as you say it is, I would pay somewhere in the middle of those two numbers. However, there are plenty out there...if it's a deal you're looking for, then keep shopping.

With that being said, from what you've told us about your usage and family I would say that this would be the perfect fit for you. It's pretty cool to teach a young'n how to drive a boat...and you don't want to do that with a suped-up 22 foot!

All the best,
David

mike o
04-02-2009, 05:25 PM
Hi, you can do a search for 16's in the for sale section to get a idea what the 16's have sold for over the last few years. I have a 95 4.3lx vortec 4/barrel 205hp engine in my 16. I think it was the 1st year for the vortec motors, add 15hp to the 4.3 engine. The newer boats have fuel injection engines and have alittle more hp than the vortec years.....Michael

mattyboy
04-02-2009, 05:28 PM
having gone around alot with 2 kids and the wife in our 16 with all the stuff that comes with it tubes skis coolers towels the 2 + 2 16 classic that you are looking at is better for running around and rougher waters with one adult maybe two the cockpit is tighter, were the sweet 16 with the L shaped lounge seating gives you and your family a little more room to get out of each others way and lounge while anchored but in rougher water the front passengers feel it more . I would look at both models before making a decision its a buyer's market and a donzi holds it value very well so a year or two down the road it will still have great resale value

here are the two layouts

the 16 skisporter

http://www.donzi.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=427&d=1229004466

the 16 classic
http://www.donzi.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=433&d=1229091549

I didn't have a shot of the sweet 16 interior it is basically the same as the skisporter but the helm is on the starboard side and the capt chair would be a bucket seat

mattyboy
04-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Marie , looked at these pics last night and said now with the kids off at college if our 16 had the 2 +2 seating we would still have it, but it would not have worked for us when the kids were little and with us . anyone remember the 16 that had the removeable seat to make it a bench seat so the front passenger could sit forward??

lodi
04-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Once again, thank you for all of the replies. I was thinking the 2+2 would be a better layout, but you guys may be right about the wrap around with the kiddies...won't have too much rough water in the lake! However, if the deal were right I could go either route -- the boat is in outstanding condition. Donzi Vol, your suggestion is about what I was thinking -- make an offer of $10 - 11K and call it a day. Thanks guys!

Dave

mattyboy
04-05-2009, 08:24 AM
good luck on the quest, just a note i think the passenger bucket could swivel and face backwards for water sports