PDA

View Full Version : TARP money is starting to be returned

handfulz28
04-01-2009, 12:00 PM
4 small banks repaying $338 million, but it's a start...
http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/106847/Four-Small-Banks-Are-the-First-to-Pay-Back-TARP-Funds?sec=topStories&pos=3&asset=TBD&ccode=TBD

MOP
04-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Quick to jump on the band wagon!! Just as quick to jump off once the regs were posted. LOL Free rides and Hand outs are not always the best thing especially coming out of our pockets.

The Hedgehog
04-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Yes, its a start. I have a number of clients that took it and some declined.

Actually as long as none of the banks default it is a pretty good deal for the taxpayers. It is not exactly cheap funding if you don't need it.

Ghost
04-02-2009, 01:34 AM
Glad to hear it. This is good news to me. I'm all for it coming back, right away. Also have heard that the means of foisting it onto many reluctant banks was an ugly bit of strongarming. (Threats of massive, expensive audits for years, etc.)

The Hedgehog
04-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Glad to hear it. This is good news to me. I'm all for it coming back, right away. Also have heard that the means of foisting it onto many reluctant banks was an ugly bit of strongarming. (Threats of massive, expensive audits for years, etc.)

True, many were "highly encouraged" to take it. That was less for the reason of "you are in trouble" and more for the reason of "we want you to be extra careful." I doubt that expensive audits were a direct threat but on the other hand if you don't listen to the regulators and they can come back and make you wish you took it. Yes, there would be a cost associated with it but even more of a pain.

I actually have a list of all TARP recipients if anyone is interested.

handfulz28
04-02-2009, 10:12 AM
BofA's Lewis on CNBC this morning....they've paid back $400million so far. Sounds like FRB won't let them pay back quickly so it will be at least a couple quarters before you start seeing major chunks being returned.

FWIW, I imagine the regulators are probably a bit overwhelmed with banks wanting to give money back so just the administration of it all will take time.

Looks like by the end of the year we'll have to find something else to complain about. :D

zelatore
04-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Looks like by the end of the year we'll have to find something else to complain about. :D
Seriously, was that ever in doubt? Have we ever wanted for things to complain about on this board? :wink: