PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tire Pressure drop.Rub rail Insert.

fasttrucker
03-31-2009, 02:33 PM
I aired up my trailer tires last fall when I winterized my donzi.50#,s.Today I did it again and I lost 5#,s in two tires and 10#,s in the other two.Iam trailering my boat a short distance this thursday to my fiberglass shop.Iam putting in a new "taco brand" rub rail insert.I had to buy 70'($150.00)Should be nice and make the rub rail look like new again.

Air 22
03-31-2009, 09:00 PM
I aired up my trailer tires last fall when I winterized my donzi.50#,s.Today I did it again and I lost 5#,s in two tires and 10#,s in the other two.Iam trailering my boat a short distance this thursday to my fiberglass shop.Iam putting in a new "taco brand" rub rail insert.I had to buy 70'($150.00)Should be nice and make the rub rail look like new again.

How old r your tires?? maybe u need to invest in a new set?...FWIW. last season I had all 6 new tires (4 on road and 2 spares) filled with Nitrogen. I did this in October..and have trailered a few places since and as of March 31..the tire psi is still 50psi.
So far i'm impressed with the Nitrogen..plus is slows the dry-rot process.:wink:

DC18
04-01-2009, 02:05 AM
How old r your tires?? maybe u need to invest in a new set?...FWIW. last season I had all 6 new tires (4 on road and 2 spares) filled with Nitrogen. I did this in October..and have trailered a few places since and as of March 31..the tire psi is still 50psi.
So far i'm impressed with the Nitrogen..plus is slows the dry-rot process.:wink:

Agree, tires, condition...etc. I also use nitrogen in trailer and vehicle tires.
Can't beat it. Winter up here was verry cold. Many days with wind :shocking:chill ----below zero. Tire pressure monitor light only came on once....when the temp was -15 and the wind chill was -25.:yes:

MOP
04-01-2009, 07:41 AM
Last spring I had one very low tire, upon inspection I found that all the valve stems were starting yo go bad. I started pulling wheels and took them to my tire guy, on my request he flexed the side walls with the tire machine checking condition. I said they were three years old and I was wondering how much life was left, he said three years and laughed he went on to ask how old my Sub tires were. They are six years old, he said as long as there are no signs of cracking not to worry. He could have said Oh you need new ones and they would have been put on right then and there. I told him I have been running 40lbs. for a few years now due to the harsh ride with the torsion axles, 40lbs. took a lot of the bang out of the bumps. He feels the main reason for 50lbs. is side wall protection, a hard tire will not pinch easily when you rub a curb. I have always been very vigilant about tire and bearing temps and pressure, I check at 50 miles and recheck every 75-100 there after, I have found no rise in temp at the lower pressure and my 22 is much happier.

fasttrucker
04-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Wow,nitrogen in the tires.I never heard of that.These tires are old and I only tow around town(use our marina,s ramp) and then down to baltimore once or twice a year 60 miles total.So anyway,Iam going to tow to fl this coming winter for a week long vacation.I do have a spare tire.Maybe I should replace all the tires before the trip?

BUIZILLA
04-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Wow,nitrogen in the tires.I never heard of that. what planet do you wake up on? :confused:

Ghost
04-01-2009, 06:06 PM
what planet do you wake up on? :confused:

Maybe it's a MD thing. Of course, I have never owned a trailer. What's up with using pure nitrogen? I can imagine that might slow the dry rot part, I suppose, but is there anything other than that? In my car/truck tires, I typically use a mix (78 % nitrogen, 21% oxygen, 1 % argon, .03% carbon dioxide).

boxy
04-01-2009, 06:30 PM
http://www.getnitrogen.org/

My nitrogen filled tires have been in the Garage all winter, it will be interesting to see what the PSI in them is when remove the snows next week, and re-install them...:yes::yes:

zelatore
04-01-2009, 06:59 PM
With the word 'trucker' in your name, how did you not know about this?

DON N.
04-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Wasn't the nitrogen fill to reduce salt corrosion in the aluminum rims beads , and prevent a pressure loss ?

BUIZILLA
04-01-2009, 07:39 PM
aircraft uses nitro for at least the last 50 years..

VetteLT193
04-02-2009, 07:55 AM
Costco uses nitrogen now as a standard item when you buy tires from them.

On the flip side, there have been plenty of reports that say using it is not worth it. If it is going to cost you $$ then I wouldn't do it, but if it is free like at Costco, it certainly won't harm anything and you'll get some benefit.

BigGrizzly
04-02-2009, 09:22 AM
There are hundreds of pluses to Nitrogen. There is the heat build up thing and rubber deterioration etc just for starters. I don't use it except on the race bike.

fasttrucker
04-03-2009, 02:52 PM
what planet do you wake up on? :confused:
Ok,Ive bought lots of truck tires in truck stops and tire dealers all over the place.No one I know uses nitrogen,as far as I know.I need four drive tires soon so ill ask about it then.I bought some performance tires for my wifes saab last year at "mr.Tire".The subject of nitrogen never came up.

BigGrizzly
04-04-2009, 09:03 AM
As for Nitrogen and tire rot, It is nice on the inside but how does it keep the outside from rotting? One thing that Nitrogen really does is keep the H2O out of the inner tire. Now for MOP I had missed the low pressure thing. I totaly disagree unless you only tow short distances otherwise high air on tires that are capable of it. NEVER run a 50 psi trailer tire at 30 psi unless your trailer is empty.