PDA

View Full Version : Bearing protectors?

Tony
03-31-2009, 09:02 AM
Does anybody use, or have an opinion on, Kokiak "Red-Eye" bearing protectors;

http://www.kodiaktrailer.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=81

Are there other alternatives? Exactly what are the advantages?

THANKS!

:beer:

BigGrizzly
03-31-2009, 09:32 AM
They work well. When I talked to Kodiak they also the prefered theirs but bearing buddies and air tite were good too. The guy told me they all had a bad rap but like everything they must be maintained. They did say the bras were a bad deal because they trap water inside and get sucked in to the bearing buddies or what ever. He did say his sealed better. He also stated that another problem was putting too much grease into them. I read the bearing buddie direction again and they are pretty clear on that. Just enough grease to make the actuator rock and that is it. I called them too and got the same answer. Neither one told me to swap out what I had for theirs.

BlownCrewCab
03-31-2009, 10:26 AM
Yep, what ever brand you buy, Do Not Just pack it full of grease. Grease is a great Maintainer of heat, Less Grease, Less Heat. Less heat, more Happy Boating Days. see how that works.

MOP
03-31-2009, 01:47 PM
I do not like that particular one due to it being heavy and near 1/2" longer then most, sounds dumb until you hot a pot hole and it goes bye bye never to be found again. If you do get them make darn sure they fit very tight!

Phil