PDA

View Full Version : Big Green Egg

Conquistador_del_mar
03-29-2009, 10:13 AM
A new customer of mine is a sales rep for a distributor of high end grills that get up to $15+K. When I asked him if he knows much about the Big Green Egg, he laughed. He told me that is by far the hottest thing selling, and that they did over $500,000 sales of them this month alone. Anyway, he just brought me the large size one as payment for his boat stall. Last night I fired it up and cooked two 5lb pork tenderloins with mesquite wood for smoke. Even though it was my first time to use it, I can honestly say it was some of the best tasting, succulent smoked meat I have ever tasted. I researched the Donzi site, and saw there had been a couple other threads about these smoker/grills, but I wanted to let anyone interested know that it is an unbelievable product. The one I got retails for around $750, but they last a lifetime and have a lifetime warranty. I sure wish I had a piece of the action. Bill

txtaz
03-29-2009, 10:19 AM
Pics man, PICS!!!

Us Texans know how to BBQ.

PM me your addy and I'll send up some custom salsa to go with the next feast. Specify temp level.

Cuda
03-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Born to a chicken of a girl I know, on St Patty's Day. :pimp:

Conquistador_del_mar
03-29-2009, 10:37 AM
Pics man, PICS!!!

PM me your addy and I'll send up some custom salsa to go with the next feast. Specify temp level.

Wes, you can control the temp with the upper outlet and lower SS air inlet door to anywhere between 200F and 850F. I cooked the 5lb pork tenderloins at 320F for about 2 1/2. When you block off the inlet and outlets, it kills the fire and the lump charcoal is ready for your next fireup - too cool! I could take some pictures of my tenderloins to show. In the meantime, here is their website. Bill

http://www.biggreenegg.com/

Conquistador_del_mar
03-29-2009, 11:02 AM
Here you go with a picture of the tenderloins. You can see many pictures of the BGE on the website. Notice the pink smoke infiltration of the meat at the perimeter - yummie! The full tenderloin is about 3"x4"x13". I gave my neighbor about half of the first one, and Deanna took a few slices to share with her co-workers this afternoon - we ate about 6 slices last night. Bill

txtaz
03-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Very nice Bill,

I think I'll make a brisket today since you gave me the idea.

Conquistador_del_mar
03-29-2009, 11:24 AM
Pics man, PICS!!!

Laughing at myself. I thought you meant the temp level of the BGE, but I now see you meant of the salsa - mild to medium is our preference. Bill

txtaz
03-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Yeah you left me in left field there for a bit. :rlol:

Thanks for all the info.

ChromeGorilla
03-29-2009, 11:39 AM
I have a couple of buddies with the BGE and they both LOVE it.

Conquistador_del_mar
03-29-2009, 11:40 AM
I should have mentioned that Chris, the sales rep, told me that he could outcook any of their high end smoker/grills with the Big Green Egg - and he does this almost every day as part of his work at shows, etc. Bill

CJmike
03-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Love my BGE. Several of my friends have them as well. Seems like everything you make on them is tasty. Smoked pheasant is one of my favorites. Also smoked turkey on the BGE is to die for. Super flavor and moist meat.

Cuda
03-29-2009, 05:42 PM
Love my BGE. Several of my friends have them as well. Seems like everything you make on them is tasty. Smoked pheasant is one of my favorites. Also smoked turkey on the BGE is to die for. Super flavor and moist meat.
How does it do with smoked Bald Eagle?

donzisrule
03-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Big Egg LOL What a rip! Someone is making a mint, get an 22" Weber kettle for $69 or an Old Smokee 22 for $40. Real smokers are indirect The egg direct, they can call it what they want. Glad your bbq loins turned out good hard to mess that up.

chrisc2
03-30-2009, 12:49 PM
2 of my buds have them. Both are excellent cooks and rave about them. Pretty cheap when considered against the higher end alternatives.

Conquistador_del_mar
03-30-2009, 05:39 PM

Thanks for the upbeat talk about cooking a turkey. :yes: I am looking forward to trying one right after a couple smaller birds. What temp do you keep yours at when cooking a turkey? Bill

2 of my buds have them. Both are excellent cooks and rave about them. Pretty cheap when considered against the higher end alternatives.

I agree about being relatively cheap, especially considering they will last a lifetime. I am thinking about selling my SS gas grill after just one smoking on the BGE. I was shocked at how the lump charcoal is still usable after cooking for 2 1/2 hours!! Just close the doors and it is ready for the next firing. Nothing like the old charcoal briquettes that are gone after one use in a conventional metal smoker. Bill

CJmike
03-31-2009, 11:28 AM
I'll have to check my notes at home. I think its 275 for 8 to 9 hours. But that could have been on my other smoker.

Get a plate setter for the egg. Allows you to cook indirectly. Works great with a pizza stone to do pizza's on the egg. Also bread.

There is so many good things to cook on the egg. Shrimp is one of my favorite. Shrimp and steak. MMMMM

Conquistador_del_mar
03-31-2009, 11:01 PM
I'll have to check my notes at home. I think its 275 for 8 to 9 hours. But that could have been on my other smoker.

Get a plate setter for the egg. Allows you to cook indirectly. Works great with a pizza stone to do pizza's on the egg. Also bread.

There is so many good things to cook on the egg. Shrimp is one of my favorite. Shrimp and steak. MMMMM

I do plan on getting the plate setter for many other uses. I will also get some racks. I was hoping to smoke/cook a turkey in 4 hours or so - like a 15lb bird - maybe unrealistic. Thanks, Bill

CJmike
04-01-2009, 07:43 AM
I always start with an overnight brine of the turkey in salt water. Then cook for 7 hours at 275 degrees. Raised to 325 degrees after 6 hours and brought to internal temp. I place a pan of water and herbs under the turkey. Collect juices for gravy and seems to add flavor to the bird.

I got a pic somewhere.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/CJMikeK/P10603371.jpg
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/CJMikeK/P10603411.jpg

Conquistador_del_mar
04-01-2009, 10:15 AM
I always start with an overnight brine of the turkey in salt water. Then cook for 7 hours at 275 degrees. Raised to 325 degrees after 6 hours and brought to internal temp. I place a pan of water and herbs under the turkey. Collect juices for gravy and seems to add flavor to the bird.

I got a pic somewhere.

Thanks, Mike. Dang, that turkey is making me salivate. I will be trying my hand at some bird meat very soon. Bill

roadtrip se
04-01-2009, 11:48 AM
I cook with wood on an indirect Texas-style smoker, so I'll stay out of the merits of the different kinds of smokers, but I can make a recommendation for a great source of smoked food recipes.

Anything by Bill and Cheryl Jamison. Their "drunk and dirty" smoked beef tenderloin recipe is the meal I would request, if I only had 24 hours left to live.
It feautures a bourbon-soy marinade that transforms the flavor of the meat.

You won't be dissapointed...