PDA

View Full Version : Canuck away.............

fogducker III
03-28-2009, 06:56 PM
So I bought a Wind Away a while back so that Jacqui had a little protection from the elements, and to tell you the truth, the damn thing works well!

Couple of faults are the quality and thickness of the plexi as well as the loose fit of the clamps. Had to do a couple of mods to make them grip better, all in all, not a bad product.

But now, I got use to using it when I went out by myself so if we both go out, you know who gets dibs on it right...?:biggrin.::wink::rolleyes:

So instead of paying almost $100, $60US plus shipping I thought I would try and make my own. I had a spare peice of 1/4" tinted Lexan and some 1/2" nylon sheeting kicking around..........I had to buy a couple of stainless bolts and a knob for the end, total $5.89..........

Still some cleaning up of the edges to do and sanding the nylon "blocks" down to an even edge, but overall I am happy with it. :yes:

Ed Donnelly
03-28-2009, 08:34 PM
And now you are looking for orders for the

Donzi Duckaways

$49.95 U.S. plus S&H.:rlol:........................Ed

fogducker III
03-28-2009, 09:52 PM
And now you are looking for orders for the

Donzi Duckaways

$49.95 U.S. plus S&H.:rlol:........................Ed

Interested buyers please contact my business manager, Ed..........:biggrin.::wink:

mike o
03-29-2009, 08:53 AM
Interested buyers please contact my business manager, Ed..........:biggrin.::wink:...Can I be the marketing VP. How about a little tiny ski goggle decal logo trademark on each unit.:biggrin.::biggrin.::biggrin.:

Carl C
03-29-2009, 09:43 AM
Wind-Aways work awesome. They clamp real well to the aluminum fairing. I use them on cool days and longer cruises and ladies like them. Most of the time they are tucked away in pillowcases.

BigGrizzly
03-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Foggy, you never stop to surprise me.

fogducker III
03-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Foggy, you never stop to surprise me.

Thanks Randy, most of my "mods" are out of necessity because I can't afford new!!! :rolleyes::biggrin.::wink:

PS. Can you PM me your phone number, I have a couple of propulsion questions if you have time.....:eek::wrench:

BigGrizzly
03-29-2009, 10:21 AM
PM sent I will be waiting, but have to leave at 2 EST. until 6:30

yeller
03-29-2009, 02:38 PM
So instead of paying almost $100, $60US plus shipping I thought I would try and make my own. I had a spare peice of 1/4" tinted Lexan and some 1/2" nylon sheeting kicking around..........I had to buy a couple of stainless bolts and a knob for the end, total $5.89..........

Good idea Fog. I've been contemplating the same thing. Must be a cheap azz western canada thing. I can't justify spending $100 on piece of plastic.

Ed Donnelly
03-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Yeller; I am in the process of aquiring a copyrite for my client..

So,we have a special for all Canadians..

We accept Canadian Tire Dollars
and Tim Horton roll up the rim prizes..................Ed

Tim Morris
03-29-2009, 06:22 PM
Yeller; I am in the process of aquiring a copyrite for my client..
So,we have a special for all Canadians..
We accept Canadian Tire Dollars
and Tim Horton roll up the rim prizes..................Ed

Hey! I'm Tim, and I'm a bit of a prize according to Cindy.

or was that 'piece of work?

DonziJon
03-29-2009, 06:41 PM
Here's an idea that is pretty simple and was invented way back in the early days. (1920s) Simple: just bend a piece of aluminum sheet...or today I might use 1/8 ..or maybe 1/16 Plexi. Just bend it and fix it to the existing windscreen. The CURVE is absolutely important to deflect the wind away. The boat in the picture is TEASER, 39'10", powered by a 600 HP, 1,948 ci Wright Typhoon V-12. The boat averaged 52 MPH on a run up the Hudson River racing a train. John

T

fogducker III
03-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Here's an idea that is pretty simple and was invented way back in the early days. (1920s) Simple: just bend a piece of aluminum sheet...or today I might use 1/8 ..or maybe 1/16 Plexi. Just bend it and fix it to the existing windscreen. The CURVE is absolutely important to deflect the wind away. The boat in the picture is TEASER, 39'10", powered by a 600 HP, 1,948 ci Wright Typhoon V-12. The boat averaged 52 MPH on a run up the Hudson River racing a train. John

T

So does this mean I have to get my tweed suit out??? :biggrin.:

Those guys were well ahead of their time but obviously didn't do anything with their "thoughts"...........

All my point was is to get a wind deflector on my boat that was cheap........... mission accomplished.........:rolleyes:

Lenny
03-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Are you still able to carry the nose ? with those things engaged ? :D

What was your GPS yesterday? Georgeous day (to spend in the shop)

fogducker III
03-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Are you still able to carry the nose ? with those things engaged ? :D

What was your GPS yesterday? Georgeous day (to spend in the shop)

They do kinda act like air brakes...........:wink:

Jacqui came out with me yesterday, only her second time after our first disasterous trip when I first got the boat and we both got soaked..............:eek:

She enjoyed it and actually drove the boat, got up to just over 50mph which is excellent for her not really being a "water baby"..............

I did not want to push it with her on board so kept it under 60ish.

The only bad part of the day was at the fuel dock, she had her $500 perscription sunglassess on top of her head and leaned over.......splooosh........in they went..............:eek::yes::rolleyes:

Ed Donnelly
03-30-2009, 04:34 PM
And I trust you dove in and retrieved them:angryfire::wavey:..Ed

fogducker III
03-30-2009, 04:42 PM

50* water..........I don't think so, I am nuts, but not THAT nuts.....:biggrin.:

Ghost
03-30-2009, 04:47 PM

"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let'em go, because, man, they're gone." Jack Handey (Deep Thoughts)

Lenny
03-30-2009, 05:29 PM
50* water..........I don't think so, I am nuts, but not THAT nuts.....:biggrin.:

AAHHH, try 43* Jeremy.

fogducker III
03-30-2009, 06:03 PM
AAHHH, try 43* Jeremy.

This was at the Van Isle gas dock, so with all the fuel, oil, bilge water, sewerage and other crap in the water, closer to 50* :wink:

DonziJon
03-30-2009, 06:21 PM
For $500 bucks, I'd DIVE for it. Cold water? An extra Martinni would help. BTW: This happened to me a few years ago... I went swimming and found the glasses. John

fogducker III
03-30-2009, 06:35 PM
This particular gas dock is a floating one set offshore, the sea bottom in the bay is pure silt and I hazard a guess for the depth at 30 plus feet, the glassess would have sunk into the bottom as they hit....... plus I didn't have my SCUBA with me.........

DonziJon
03-30-2009, 06:37 PM
So does this mean I have to get my tweed suit out??? :biggrin.:

In the Old Days..SPORTSMEN.. were Gentlemen..they wore Shirts,Ties and Jackets wherever they went. Take a look at pictures of our troops over in Europe during WWII..They wore ties. :yes: John

boxy
03-30-2009, 08:05 PM
In the Old Days..SPORTSMEN.. were Gentlemen..they wore Shirts,Ties and Jackets wherever they went. Take a look at pictures of our troops over in Europe during WWII..They wore ties. :yes: John

Maybe that's why they were late to the party, it took them longer to get dressed ......

fogducker III
03-30-2009, 08:16 PM

I agree John, back in the days everyone was over dressed, I am from a staunch (sp?) English background and even one generation ago, my father, wore a tie to almost every event. Nothing wrong with being well dressed but there is a limit to being "suitably" dressed..............:wink:

BigGrizzly
03-31-2009, 10:02 AM
Until my last day of work I did the tie thing even in engineering. We only got off in the shop. I dressed for every company function. Now it is casual attire- after I retired.... It was not bad. I also had to dress when I flew home or my Mother would have a fit. After my Dad passed and she was 89, she changed the rules. I have no regrets dressing up was kind of a good thing. BTW, My wife did the same thing at Lake Powell, I did not dive then either. She wears the little stringy things now or glasses from the Dollar store. I shop there once a month. Last year I dove off my dock to retrieve a pair and found three pairs but not the ones I dove for:yes::yes:

Lenny
03-31-2009, 10:17 AM
We only got off in the shop. :yes::yes:

...too much info Randy :D

BigGrizzly
03-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Just letting you know I was once a gentleman, just an old fart trying to relive his youth:yes: