PDA

View Full Version : S. Tropez Donzi

nosecap
03-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Here ris a picture of my St Tropez, in its original configuration, photoes are available of d\[IMG]http://

Morgan's Cloud
03-30-2009, 07:10 AM
Can you try that again ?

Some of us here would really like to see it ! (Especially the 4 or 5 that own St T's :biggrin.:)

nosecap
04-11-2009, 09:51 AM
For Morgan Cloud delayed reply
My Tropez is still under winter wraps, to be repowered and to bring her back to original condition. Only changes will be to replace all parts( hinges, rubrail, hatch clips gas tank vent, hand railsnav lites, stern light etc with stainless.

Morgan's Cloud
04-13-2009, 07:02 AM
Good luck with it , but do post some pics when you can . There's only a few of them on the board and they do generate a fair bit of interest.
I don't know if your rub rail is badly whanged up like mine was , but the rest of the deck hardware is chromed bronze and of very good quality . Consider re-chroming it.
Steve

nosecap
04-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Steve

It took some help from a "second" Tropex (given another name I forget)owner in NH (same basic design with one-two changes). He IDed for me the rail-molding as "J" . One supplier had "left overs" (in stainless)but not enough. So we know it out-there somewhere.

I asked the NH guy, "So how did you bend-it-around tjhe bow and stern, that can be tricky. Unless you are very careful you can 'kink' it." He replied, "Well... It took 2 days of very careful heat and hammer."

Morgan's Cloud
04-13-2009, 09:19 AM
Elsewhere in the 'Performance talk' forum you can find a recent thread about rub rail material and fitting it .

The " J " pattern is only available in aluminum. I replaced mine with the stainless inch and a quarter hollow back.

You have to be carefull and plan ahead but installing it isn't too difficult ... even around the corners, although , unlike some others , I wouldn't advise doing it singlehanded !

Can you tell us a bit about your boat ... You know , How long you've had it , where you found it , year , power , colour and everything else that's significant to only Donzi Classic owners .... :biggrin:

nosecap
04-15-2009, 11:46 AM
[IMG]http://www.nosecap@Hotmail.com[/IMG
Steve
I bought it used in 1968 froma top flight local yacht club. ("Owned by a little old school widowed marm"? -they said)..with a deal for repowering by a 120 HP Chriscarft I/O, they had replaced from Chris Craft whos new owner wanted more power. Attached (send email add)with my oldest son aboard. He is 50 now.
I have deep sea experience maintaining ships so was delighted with its clean simple design and shallow keel that let's it get on plane quickly.The deck is sealed with drain holes aft to take care of over-bow-water which is rare with that flared bow.The battery if under the forward seat of the console 12" off the bilge, which has a automatic bilge pump.The gas tank is foam mounted sealedto keel,trianglular in the bow-bilge (Donzi sent me a replacement,20 gallon capacity).That will be replaced again-probably in plastic.The pow ccompartment-over th tanbk take care of all lines, anchor etc.
Aft of the bow is a covered well with cover maybe 25" by 25" forward of console. On the stern- deck leevel are two more well withs covers ("That's where you stash the iced and martinis for evening crusing with friends." -a guest suggested). They are also good for a bag of tools -whatever.
The console had simple gauages:fuel, RPM, nav lights. One control arm for speed for both ahead and back maneuvering and controlling the lift angle of the outdrive. No seat for the driver. Seating (and custom pads-in red)
are over the engine, cover, over the battery and in the bow. Two fishing pole holders within reach of the helm. The bow cleat and stern cleat are also teh=-ift cleates, with simple hand rails forward of the helm.

You are propbably aware of how fast you can can get her on the plane, even with four aboard with just 120 HP. It was timed "flat out" (5000 RPM at 65 knots, calm water-not too many times- didn't want to tear-up the
engine. I will go for over 200HP this time around..

Morgan's Cloud
04-15-2009, 11:58 AM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55343&highlight=St+Tropez+Volvo+DP

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55202&highlight=dp

Check out the two threads above for more on some St T's from around here ...

Dennis's one is the last one made !
There are a few pics of mine in the second thread / first post. (although that thread was more about handling issues and the Volvo DP Drive)

Wait till you put a 350 block in that thing !