PDA

View Full Version : Why NOT to live in Florida ...

Lenny
03-27-2009, 09:24 PM
I was thinking about this today, and the sun is out, the birds have all flown back from wherever, butterflies soon, you know, and, well, the mornings are phenomenal, there are Jays and wierd birds all singing once again, sounds like I am in a Bistro in Waikiki, and you know, ...

This IS the best time of the year here (IMO) as it screams boating, fun times, warmer 65-90 degree weather for the next 5-6 months. I look forward to this :yes: I have waited since last September for a T-shirt day to run the boats. Well, they are here again. :)

Now if I lived in Miami what the H E L L would I have to look forward to ??? Every day the same, hot, humid, sunny, hurricane etc.

At least we have a blend and light at the end of tunnel to look forward to :D

boxy
03-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Lenny, it has always been my belief that you cannot truly appreciate nice weather unless you are exposed to rotten weather.
No offence to Poodle, Buiz, Cuda and GCarter, but you cannot truly appreciate the beauty of a warm day until you have dealt with a really sh!tty one....

I drove home today with the windows down, no big deal for you Florida guys, but the pure warmth of the Sun on a day like today is something special.

The dozen or so G&T's I've had this evening aren't hurting either ..... :D :D

Donziweasel
03-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Lenny, it has always been my belief that you cannot truly appreciate nice weather unless you are exposed to rotten weather.
No offence to Poodle, Buiz, Cuda and GCarter, but you cannot truly appreciate the beauty of a warm day until you have dealt with a really sh!tty one....

What you said........:yes::wink:

penbroke
03-27-2009, 09:50 PM
I drove home today with the windows down, no big deal for you Florida guys, but the pure warmth of the Sun on a day like today is something special.

Days like this make it all worthwhile. The sun is warm rather than just bright, the redwing blackbirds are back, and trucks are no longer the fishing vessel of chioce...

See ya on the water,
Frank

gcarter
03-27-2009, 10:11 PM

Steve, I never drive w/the window down unless the AC isn't working for some reason. Besides, it messes up what hair I have.
Now Phil Reed (what ever the heck happened to him?) always had a convertable and the top was always down, unless it was raining.
To each his own.
One of the two times Taz was here this winter, it got down to 25* three nights in a row. He was very uncomfortable, bitched the whole time.
I enjoyed the break.

Cuda
03-27-2009, 11:36 PM
I have lived in the northwest. I much prefer sand to snow. :)

Ghost
03-28-2009, 12:45 AM

Okay, I agree with this. But, in the spirit of fairness, what is wrong with us such that we'd rather spend 4 months or more a year with a safe on our foot just so we can enjoy the other 8 months without it?

CHACHI
03-28-2009, 05:38 AM
I have lived in th northwest. I much prefer sand to snow. :)
Should of seen my street 2 weeks ago, it would of brought a tear to your eye.

Ken

Cuda
03-28-2009, 06:01 AM
I only remember one time of it not being cold, or rainy, or both on the Oregon coast. It was on the Fourth of July, 1976. It was actually sunny for the Newport Bicentenial Parade. :)

ChromeGorilla
03-28-2009, 06:10 AM
Ummm... I do recall having to brush a couple feet of fresh snow off of my car in the morning before going to school... As well as working the lifts at Killington when it was down right nasty cold out....

And I too will take FL over the snow....:yes: Just like every othe Yankee carpetbagger....

mike o
03-28-2009, 06:16 AM
I have lived in the northwest. I much prefer sand to snow. :)Going Spring skiing today with the family. Bringing the sun tan stuff. Getting hot up here.:biggrin.:

boxy
03-28-2009, 06:20 AM
Ummm... I do recall having to brush a couple feet of fresh snow off of my car in the morning before going to school... As well as working the lifts at Killington when it was down right nasty cold out....
And I too will take FL over the snow....:yes: Just like every othe Yankee carpetbagger....

That's why you can truly appreciate the warmth.
Think back to those first March days when the sun actually warmed the chair seats, the parking lot at the Pickel Barrel became less slippery, and the wind felt warm instead bitter.....

txtaz
03-28-2009, 06:45 AM
One of the two times Taz was here this winter, it got down to 25* three nights in a row. He was very uncomfortable, bitched the whole time.
I enjoyed the break.

OK, we're exaggerating here about the bitching. Then again who runs their AC when it's 20 degrees outside? George does. I have to say it's the first time I saw him wear a jacket and a light one at that.

Florida in January in the 20's, who'd of thought and I left my warm jacket in Texas.

Next trip, warm weather only.

Da Taz

Barry Eller
03-28-2009, 07:44 AM
The Mason-Dixon Line is I-10, I try not to go north of that...:biggrin.:

handfulz28
03-28-2009, 07:45 AM
You're right, FL absolutely sucks. I just can't understand why so many people come down here. I wish they'd all go home to where they came from and stay there year round. It sucks here because there's never any time to work on the boat...you never want to miss a weekend on the water.
:biggrin: :beer:

Cuda
03-28-2009, 08:21 AM
I-10 is too far north! I just ain't built for cold weather. If I ever move again, you can bet your azz it will be farther south. :)

BigGrizzly
03-28-2009, 09:31 AM
Me I like 4 seasons, Just not a lot of them. I like snow, I like fall, I love spring, I like summer. I just don't like the crap between fall and snow that slushy stuff. Here in Georgia, we have a limit on the crap so it is nice or snow-not much- but snow. I do agree that Canada is beautiful and Florida is nice too. I love the New England falls and spring. If I want winter and a lot of snow I will just visit Donzi Weasel.

roadtrip se
03-28-2009, 10:17 AM
After transferring back from the south to the midwest almost six years ago,
that I do like being able to step outside my door in the middle of the summer and not cook in my own sweat.

As for the winters, well that is what they make winter brew and skunkwerks facilties for...

Cuda
03-28-2009, 02:54 PM
The conditions were unbearable today at Lake Eusts. Had to endure the south wind blowing a 20 mph, and 87 degrees.

mike o
03-28-2009, 03:01 PM
The conditions were unbearable today at Lake Eusts. Had to endure the south wind blowing a 20 mph, and 87 degrees. Can ya go swimming there without the al -e-gators having ya for lunch?:biggrin.:

Cuda
03-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Can ya go swimming there without the al -e-gators having ya for lunch?:biggrin.:
No gators around today. The water mocassins keep them ran off.

onesubdrvr
03-28-2009, 04:55 PM
No gators around today. The water mocassins keep them ran off.
You know, that's some funny stuff,.....

Reminds me of the time we were at Big Lake George for a get-together. Must of been when we had the BBQ, anyway, Cari was taking the kids for a walk on the nature path around the lake, and there was signs "Lake closed to swimmers - Beaver mating season" - the Beavers get pretty agressive, and they shut the lake to swimmers,..... hilarious if you ask me ;)

Wayne

mike o
03-28-2009, 05:21 PM

Reminds me of the time we were at Big Lake George for a get-together. Must of been when we had the BBQ, anyway, Cari was taking the kids for a walk on the nature path around the lake, and there was signs "Lake closed to swimmers - Beaver mating season" - the Beavers get pretty agressive, and they shut the lake to swimmers,..... hilarious if you ask me ;)

WayneThats only in NY. Here we shoot em and BBQ em.:biggrin.:
Id be more scared of the mock's then the crock's... cant see em coming for ya.

Cuda
03-28-2009, 05:43 PM

Wayne
It must have been at Hickory Point. Someone was asking about you today. :biggrin.:

onesubdrvr
03-28-2009, 07:19 PM
It must have been at Hickory Point. Someone was asking about you today. :biggrin.:
Yup,... Hickory Point,...

I really don't understand why we never did a big event there,... such nice amenities,... though I guess as far as running the boats go, the scenery doesn't change much ;), but I only ran it once, there and back again, so there is likely much more.

Hope you're doing well Joe, hope to see 'ya soon :)

Wayne

The Hedgehog
03-28-2009, 07:33 PM

Actually we think that there are two Mason-Dixon Lines. If you go south of I-10 it is actually like going north but with a warmer climate.:outtahere:

The Hedgehog
03-28-2009, 07:35 PM
What you said........:yes::wink:

I am aware of the tough days you have, but I would not consider the place you live to exactly be lame:kingme:

Donziweasel
03-28-2009, 07:38 PM
No, but I could use a damn break after 5 months of it......

Oh, and you can cancel all snow requests for the year, you are killing me....three storms lined up back to back through next weekend, 48 inches+.

BTW, Lauren sent me a bunch of frozen Omaha steaks, chicken, etc....very nice. Can you pm me her email and phone number?, would liek to thank her..

The Hedgehog
03-28-2009, 09:18 PM
No, but I could use a damn break after 5 months of it......
Oh, and you can cancel all snow requests for the year, you are killing me....three storms lined up back to back through next weekend, 48 inches+.
BTW, Lauren sent me a bunch of frozen Omaha steaks, chicken, etc....very nice. Can you pm me her email and phone number?, would liek to thank her..

I will send them to you when I get back to the house. I staying on Roller Girl now. Went to run some whitewater today with some of my old paddling friends. 70 degrees on the Ocoee today.

I thought you wanted the snow??:eek::beer:

Cuda
03-29-2009, 07:17 AM
Yup,... Hickory Point,...

I really don't understand why we never did a big event there,... such nice amenities,... though I guess as far as running the boats go, the scenery doesn't change much ;), but I only ran it once, there and back again, so there is likely much more.

Hope you're doing well Joe, hope to see 'ya soon :)

Wayne
Yep, it's a perfect venue, plenty of covered meeting place, parking, docking etc. You never made that trip up Lake Eustis from there, through the locks, and into the Oklahawa River. I told everyone about your stellar college work. :)

boxy
03-29-2009, 07:46 AM

Wayne

Thats only in NY. Here we shoot em and BBQ em.:biggrin.:
Id be more scared of the mock's then the crock's... cant see em coming for ya.

Mike, Wayne's a little confused about how big a Lake that's not guarding a golf green is supposed to be ..... :D :D

Big Lake George in Florida ....... Lake George or Lake Welaka is a broad and shallow lake on the St. Johns River in the U.S. state of Florida. It is six miles (10 km) wide and eleven miles (18 km) long, with an average depth of 8 feet (2.5 m).

Lake George New York ......... Lake George, nicknamed the Queen of American Lakes,[1] is a long, narrow lake at the southeast base of the Adirondack Mountains, northern New York, U.S. The lake extends about 32.2 miles (54 km) on a north-south axis and varies from 1 to 3 miles (1.7 to 5 km) in width.
Lake George Facts:
Elevation: 320 feet above sea level
Length: 32.2 miles
Drains: South to north, drains into the La Chute River at Ticonderoga,
New York, into Lake Champlain
Number of islands: Over 170
Maximum depth: 200 feet

Lenny
03-29-2009, 07:56 AM
...or Lake Superior at 350 miles long and 1300' deep, commonly shared between Countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Superior

:D

Cuda
03-29-2009, 08:36 AM
Mike, Wayne's a little confused about how big a Lake that's not guarding a golf green is supposed to be ..... :D :D
Big Lake George in Florida ....... Lake George or Lake Welaka is a broad and shallow lake on the St. Johns River in the U.S. state of Florida. It is six miles (10 km) wide and eleven miles (18 km) long, with an average depth of 8 feet (2.5 m).
Lake George New York ......... Lake George, nicknamed the Queen of American Lakes,[1] is a long, narrow lake at the southeast base of the Adirondack Mountains, northern New York, U.S. The lake extends about 32.2 miles (54 km) on a north-south axis and varies from 1 to 3 miles (1.7 to 5 km) in width.
Lake George Facts:
Elevation: 320 feet above sea level
Length: 32.2 miles
Drains: South to north, drains into the La Chute River at Ticonderoga,
New York, into Lake Champlain
Number of islands: Over 170
Maximum depth: 200 feet
By that same token, Lake George in Florida is the entire length of the St John's River. There is about 200 miles of marked channel from Mayport, to Sandford, it still goes from there as a river, until you can no longer discern it from the swamps west of Melborne.

onesubdrvr
03-29-2009, 10:56 AM
I must admit, I've never been on any of the great lakes,... and in comparison, many of the "lakes" here are tiny :wink:

One of my favorite runs was down the Indian River from Fort Pierce to Stuart, then down the canal almost to Indiantown,.. about 50 miles,...

Anyway I digress, actually, I was very confused, the lake I was referring to where the "beaver" incident happened was Lake Harris :D

Lake George here in Florida is pretty cool too, just stay clear of the bomb range lol

Wayne

Barry Eller
03-29-2009, 12:09 PM
I don't have a lake near me... only have the Gulf of Mexico, Pensacola Bay, and the intercoastal water way that runs east & west for a few hundred miles both ways.:yes:

Cuda
03-29-2009, 12:12 PM
I don't have a lake near me... only have the Gulf of Mexico, Pensacola Bay, and the intercoastal water way that runs east & west for a few hundred miles both ways.:yes:

That's the prettiest beaches and water I have ever seen.

Cuda
03-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Lake Okeechobee is small lake, it's only 600 square miles.

mike o
03-29-2009, 12:14 PM
I don't have a lake near me... only have the Gulf of Mexico, Pensacola Bay, and the intercoastal water way that runs east & west for a few hundred miles both ways.:yes: Is the intercoastal ww pretty much a no wake thing?

Cuda
03-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Is the intercoastal ww pretty much a no wake thing?
There are some BIG bays up there too.

Barry Eller
03-29-2009, 08:38 PM
Is the intercoastal ww pretty much a no wake thing?

Only under some bridges and congested areas. The rest of it is "Resume Safe Operational Speed". Good judgement is always the rule.

gcarter
03-29-2009, 09:01 PM
And the second largest lake entirely inside the US.

boxy
03-29-2009, 09:08 PM

And the second largest lake entirely inside the US.

Sounds like there could be some great boating on Lake Okeechobee.
How often do you guys run on it?

gcarter
03-29-2009, 10:06 PM
Sounds like there could be some great boating on Lake Okeechobee.
How often do you guys run on it?

Only once for me.
Not exactly in my back yard. But the crossing is well marked and it's part of the route across Florida through a series of canals and rivers.
Bob, Tidbart, should pipe up about it.

Lenny
03-30-2009, 12:27 AM

We have the ENTIRE Pacific, it is what we lauch in. It is all available. We float in it when we launch and it is in our faces, not down a "river" :D

:rlol:

donzisrule
03-30-2009, 03:09 AM
Why Not to live in Fl. well...
Liberal dumbasses, cotton tops, snowbirding canooks, habla espaniol, they don't know how to vote, state going broke, yankee transplants, south american transplants, cuban transplants, hurricanes, extremely high home owners insurance especially if you live on the intracostal, drunk drawbridge attendants, BSO (big suck offs or Broward Sheriffs Office, largest in the country), walled the strip, high crime, always screwing up the rest of the country, I-95, ...did I mention the cotton tops?

Cuda
03-30-2009, 06:11 AM
Liberal dumbasses, cotton tops, snowbirding canooks, habla espaniol, they don't know how to vote, state going broke, yankee transplants, south american transplants, cuban transplants, hurricanes, extremely high home owners insurance especially if you live on the intracostal, drunk drawbridge attendants, BSO (big suck offs or Broward Sheriffs Office, largest in the country), walled the strip, high crime, always screwing up the rest of the country, I-95, ...did I mention the cotton tops?

Feel welcome NOT to come.

Cuda
03-30-2009, 06:13 AM
We have the ENTIRE Pacific, it is what we lauch in. It is all available. We float in it when we launch and it is in our faces, not down a "river" :D

:rlol:
I'd like to see someone launch a Donzi on the Oregon coast! It just ain't happening! :)

gcarter
03-30-2009, 07:30 AM
I sorta consider much of S. Florida a whole other state. Every state has areas that are to be avoided....some of far West Texas would fall into that catagory. I can also imagine folks from upstate NY feel the same about NYC.
But I live in Central Florida where it's staunchly Conservative, very hilly and looks like parts of Kentucky, not particularly crowded except in the spring, and I won't say anything about retirees becaus, first; I'm close to that age myself, and second; we make the majority of our income from retirees. I consider the majority of them (who come primarily from the Mid West) very nice people.

Barry Eller
03-30-2009, 07:41 AM
I sorta consider much of S. Florida a whole other state. Every state has areas that are to be avoided....some of far West Texas would fall into that catagory. I can also imagine folks from upstate NY feel the same about NYC.
But I live in Central Florida where it's staunchly Conservative, very hilly and looks like parts of Kentucky, not particularly crowded except in the spring, and I won't say anything about retirees becaus, first; I'm close to that age myself, and second; we make the majority of our income from retirees. I consider the majority of them (who come primarily from the Mid West) very nice people.

George, the Panhandle is nothing like South Florida either. In fact a lot of people refer to Pensacola area as "LA" (lower Alabama).

Our retirees are mostly military. Naval Avaitors that got their wings here, had such a good time, they come back and retired here.

I do like Islamorada and Key Largo. My favorite South Florida destination!

Cuda
03-30-2009, 08:24 AM
George, the Panhandle is nothing like South Florida either. In fact a lot of people refer to Pensacola area as "LA" (lower Alabama).
Our retirees are mostly military. Naval Avaitors that got their wings here, had such a good time, they come back and retired here.
Yup, when dad was in the Navy in Panama City (twice) it was refered to as LA. :) Back then there was absolutely nothing between PC Beach, and Ft Walton. Destin only had a couple fishing boats. When dad retired from the Navy in 1969, we moved to Portland, Oregon (because dad promised mom he would when he retired), but his brother worked for the VA in St Pete, and we moved to St Pete in 1971. Dad swore he'd never live north of Clearwater again. They have moved once since then....................about ten blocks farther south! :)

Donziweasel
03-30-2009, 08:41 AM
I am with Barry, the panhandle is nothing like south Florida. I got married in Seaside on the beach (Where the Truman Show was filmed). Been all over Destin, etc... It is more like the deep south than Southern Florida, which I feel has more of a hispanic culture to it. Love both, but due to Boo Boo being from Mobile and spending a lot of time on the panhandle, I really like that area.

Barry Eller
03-30-2009, 08:41 AM
Yup, when dad was in the Navy in Panama City (twice) it was refered to as LA. :) Back then there was absolutely nothing between PC Beach, and Ft Walton. Destin only had a couple fishing boats. When dad retired from the Navy in 1969, we moved to Portland, Oregon (because dad promised mom he would when he retired), but his brother worked for the VA in St Pete, and we moved to St Pete in 1971. Dad swore he'd never live north of Clearwater again. They have moved once since then....................about ten blocks farther south! :)

I have some ex-in-laws that live in Largo. Clearwater is nice. I went to the "Original Hooters" there!

Destin is having financial difficulty now...they even welcomed "Spring Breakers" for the first time ever this year. Too many high dollar condos that no one can afford. Condos half finished, no money to complete them. But Destin Pass when the tide is right is absolutely beautiful! And Crab Island?...thats another story!

The Hedgehog
03-30-2009, 08:52 AM

Lot's of my friends from LA go to Pensacola. The panhandle is a nice place. I have been on a few trips to South Fl that were not exactly bad either. I like to rag on Florida because many of the deep south folks consider it a non-southern state. Me included. You can't harp on that too hard though because Skynard came from Tallahassee.

That does not mean that Florida sucks or anything like that. I have had some dang good times in Florida and will go back. My times down there were seriously influenced by some of the good people down there that I know. I would go along with what G Carter says. We all have our low spots. I could take you to some parts of Tn where you would not exactly want to retire.

Cuda
03-30-2009, 11:05 AM
I have some ex-in-laws that live in Largo. Clearwater is nice. I went to the "Original Hooters" there!
Destin is having financial difficulty now...they even welcomed "Spring Breakers" for the first time ever this year. Too many high dollar condos that no one can afford. Condos half finished, no money to complete them. But Destin Pass when the tide is right is absolutely beautiful! And Crab Island?...thats another story!
My cousin and another guy I know, actually did the tile work in the original Hooter's on Hwy 60. I did several for Hooter's myself.

They would not let people build on the beaches back then. There wasn't a condo as far as the eye could see. Last time I went thru Destin, I don't belive you could see the gulf from Hwy 98.

Cuda
03-30-2009, 11:28 AM
. You can't harp on that too hard though because Skynard came from Tallahassee.
J
Actually Jacksonville.

zelatore
03-30-2009, 11:59 AM

Wait a minute George....I've spent a lot of time in Kentucky, but when I've gone to Florida for Sebring or the Miami show I seem to recall that the biggest hills I saw were the overpasses for the interstate.

And from what I can tell, the only curves in the roads are the on ramps.

Are you telling me they have actual geography there?

CHACHI
03-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Tour Florida,...........................300 miles 15 curves.

Ken

The Hedgehog
03-30-2009, 12:06 PM
J
Actually Jacksonville.

Yes, you are technically correct. Good Florida resident catch. And yes, the name is Skynyrd after a PE coach named Skinner.

My counsin's band (The Drive By Truckers) have a whole album called the Southern Rock Opera that deals with the whole Skynyrd thing. It is a real cool album that deals with both the good and bad sides of "the southern thing." I recommend it. You can pick it up at Best Buy.

Kirbyvv
03-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Lake George, NY, still frozen solid, waiting for the ice to break up. the trucks and shanties are off the lake at least. The dust off looks like a long way away today.

Ghost
03-30-2009, 12:35 PM
Wait a minute George....I've spent a lot of time in Kentucky, but when I've gone to Florida for Sebring or the Miami show I seem to recall that the biggest hills I saw were the overpasses for the interstate.

And from what I can tell, the only curves in the roads are the on ramps.

Per the net, FL appears to have the nation's lowest highest-point at 345 feet. (That said, I have been golfing outside Orlando in places that were quite hilly, even if they never get all that high in absolute elevation.)

zelatore
03-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Per the net, FL appears to have the nation's lowest highest-point at 345 feet. (That said, I have been golfing outside Orlando in places that were quite hilly, even if they never get all that high in absolute elevation.)

Ah, I see. Do they also have the nation's tallest midget?

I'd play this game with California, but I think I already know what sort of responses I'd get....

-whoa, cool - I think we just had a small earthquake. Either that or I shouldn't be drinking at this time of the morning.

donzisrule
03-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Higheset elevation in Fl. are the landfills. I forgot to add property devaluation ,especially the west coast, the entire coridoor around Naples, good deals if u want to p/u some realestate, but wait 6-12 months for the real deals :-) I was raised in Fl. and they do have some nice areas the horse ranches in Ocala, but my favorite part of Fl. is the Keys for sure, ahhhh the Keys, on the way down u gotta stop at Mrs. Macks in Largo (northern keys) and p/u one of here frozen Key lime Pies, there the best, than holiday Isle for a gallon of Rum Runners at the Tiki hut and than...

zelatore
03-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Yup. 4.4 earthquake about 50-60 miles south of me. Barely felt it here, but I guess it was about 10-15 seconds of rolling down around San Jose.

Barry Eller
03-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Yup. 4.4 earthquake about 50-60 miles south of me. Barely felt it here, but I guess it was about 10-15 seconds of rolling down around San Jose.

No warnings with earthquakes...we can at least listen to Jim Cantore to tell the people that LISTEN that a hurricane is showing its ugly ass somewhere near...I guess the ones in New Orleans that stayed for Katrina...don't watch the weather channel...or don't understand the language...

Magicallbill
03-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Fav. Fla. spot..Marathon/Bahia Honda Area/ Looe Key(Offshore on the reef off Big Pine key.)
I'll always have a soft spot for Longboat key and Annia Maria Island where I vacationed and boated for years with Mum&Dad.

When Mom passed in 2002, I thought about moving from Indiana..If I was careful financially, I could've moved anywhere.
I thought and thought..Fla?? Michigan?? Out West???

I finally came to the conclusion that family and friends meant more than warm weather and/or snowmobiling.

In other words, I didn't want to move somewhere "nicer" and start over knowing no one...

So, I'm still in Indiana and happy..Scenery sucks but to me there are more important things.

mike o
03-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Anybody know how Alabama lost all that coast line to Florida? The boundary line is straight, not a river like some boundary's. The pic's from the home town rally from an airplane where really spectacular. I never knew the panhandle beaches + water were so nice.:yes:

zelatore
03-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Fav. Fla. spot..Marathon/Bahia Honda Area/ Looe Key(Offshore on the reef off Big Pine key.)
I'll always have a soft spot for Longboat key and Annia Maria Island where I vacationed and boated for years with Mum&Dad.

When Mom passed in 2002, I thought about moving from Indiana..If I was careful financially, I could've moved anywhere.
I thought and thought..Fla?? Michigan?? Out West???

I finally came to the conclusion that family and friends meant more than warm weather and/or snowmobiling.

In other words, I didn't want to move somewhere "nicer" and start over knowing no one...

So, I'm still in Indiana and happy..Scenery sucks but to me there are more important things.

LOL....
One of the big advantages to me of moving from Indiana to California was NOT being around parts of her family! :outtahere:

(Actually, they're pretty good. It's just her mom I'd be worried about...I figure I need that couple thousand miles as a buffer so she doesn't have a drama-meltdown and show up on our doorstep)

handfulz28
03-30-2009, 04:00 PM

While the "scale" is a lot smaller, I think you'd find FL kinda unique in the fact the coastal areas are very flat but there's an inland corridor that is very (relatively) hilly. Taking Rt 27 north from Sebring ("Highlands" county :D) through Clermont where 27 intersects 50 we have some nice elevation changes. The entire area around Clermont and east to Mt Dora can offer some amazing scenery....for Florida.

BUIZILLA
03-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Spook Hill in Lake Wales....

handfulz28
03-30-2009, 04:07 PM
Oof...earthquakes...everytime I look at work out in California, I just can't do it. Yeah, hurricanes suck especially the loss of cable and internet afterwards (:biggrin.:). When metropolitan SoFla gets hit with a big one it will be hell. But at least we have advanced notice and can take a lot of precautions.

Ed Donnelly
03-30-2009, 04:23 PM
buizilla; That was the first place my Dad took me to, when they moved to Lake Wales in 96............Ed

gcarter
03-30-2009, 05:30 PM
That central spine of Florida, including Clermont, is in my sales territory. The second highest point, the highest is in the panhandle, is called Sugarloaf, and is 325'. From the top on a clear dry day you can see to the east of Orlando. Pretty neat.
Those horse ranches in Ocala are also in our territory, also Silver Springs.
From my house or shop, I can be on either the Atlantic or Gulf coasts within 1 1/2 hours, or the Saint John's within 45 minutes, and not to mention living on the Harris Chain of lakes.
I live and work in a very nice part of the state.
Uh, and I can be in the Keys in about 5-6 hours.

Cuda
03-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Spook Hill in Lake Wales....
Actully, it's Britton Hill in the panhandle. I couldn't remember the name, but all through gradeschool I was taught if was in the panhandle. I've been by Spook Hill many times, and never even cosidered it the highest point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britton_Hill

Mr X
03-30-2009, 05:48 PM
Not to mention, the bounty we have on Canadian heads down here.
http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/sarge/Guillotine_anim.gif

boxy
03-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Without Canadians buying houses, and fueling your economy where would you be ??? :outtahere:

gcarter
03-30-2009, 05:51 PM
I just don't like getting a pocket full of their coins.
I don't know what to do with them.

fogducker III
03-30-2009, 05:52 PM

We use to have a bounty for American heads up here, but they are not worth anything now...........:eek::wink:

boxy
03-30-2009, 05:55 PM
"Florida's once-hot real estate market is now frozen, and Canadians are knocking on realtors' doors, hunting for luxury homes and condos. In the first quarter of 2008, Ryan Mendell, a broker with the Condo Hotel Company in south Florida, did more sales volume than all of last year. The reason — Canadian clients. "The highest concentration of Canadians is between Hollywood Beach and Bal Harbour," says Mendell. "We're selling suites in brand new condos for $368 a square foot. A couple of years ago they sold for $600 to $700 a square foot." Lawrence Yun, chief economist of the National Association of Realtors, says the Canadian dollar is stronger by 40 per cent over the last four to five years, while Florida prices have fallen by 10 to 20 per cent. "This means Canadians are able to purchase a home in Florida at half the price of four to five years ago." A 2007 study by NAR found Canadians are more likely to purchase homes worth over $1 million than other international buyers, which is a critical lifeline for realtors like Ralph De Martino, an agent in Miami Beach. Two of his most recent sales have been to Canadian buyers looking for oceanview properties. One condo, in pricey Bal Harbour, sold for $2.6 million, and the other, in Hollywood, went for $1.4 million. De Martino says the best deals can be found on condos that closed in mid-2005 because so many speculators have walked away. "There are some killer deals on beachfront properties but not necessarily with unobstructed views," he says. "Properties not on the oceanfront, like the Miami River area where there has been massive construction, are also great deals." "

boxy
03-30-2009, 06:04 PM
I just don't like getting a pocket full of their coins.
I don't know what to do with them.

Well if you would stop falling asleep on a park bench while waiting for Elaine to finish shopping, those kindly Canadians would stop dropping change in your coffee......:rlol::rlol:

Ghost
03-30-2009, 06:18 PM
Why do I sense an impending merger (unfair, but inevitable) of this thread with the "Canuck-away" thread? -Conrad Dobler

boxy
03-30-2009, 06:23 PM
The Jefe thread maybe, but not the Canuck Away thread...

fogducker III
03-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Should I quickly go and Close/Lock the Canuck Away thread...? :eek::rolleyes:

fogducker III
03-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Why do I sense an impending merger (unfair, but inevitable) of this thread with the "Canuck-away" thread? -Conrad Dobler

Just curious, what does an American ex-NFL player (Conrad Dobler), have to do with anything?:confused:

gcarter
03-30-2009, 06:57 PM
Well if you would stop falling asleep on a park bench while waiting for Elaine to finish shopping, those kindly Canadians would stop dropping change in your coffee......:rlol::rlol:
That's funny Steve!:rlol:

I'll have to remember that and see if I can make it work!:biggrin.:

I still wouldn't know what to do with the money though.
I guess I could mail it back up North, but the postage is so high.:yes:

Ghost
03-30-2009, 07:06 PM
Just curious, what does an American ex-NFL player (Conrad Dobler), have to do with anything?:confused:

Good question. His name is synonymous with starting trouble. So much so that after he retired, he did a series of Lite Beer commercials where he started big arguments and then snuck off laughing at the mess left behind.

fogducker III
03-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Good question. His name is synonymous with starting trouble. So much so that after he retired, he did a series of Lite Beer commercials where he started big arguments and then snuck off laughing at the mess left behind.

Thanks, that makes total sense now, I know he was known for "cheap shots"..........:biggrin.:

Cuda
03-30-2009, 08:22 PM
We use to have a bounty for American heads up here, but they are not worth anything now...........:eek::wink:
American heads should still command a dumptruck full of Canadian quarters, since American heads in Canada are much more rare than Canadian heads in Florida.

fogducker III
03-30-2009, 08:58 PM
American heads should still command a dumptruck full of Canadian quarters, since American heads in Canada are much more rare than Canadian heads in Florida.

But Canadian heads are WAY better looking so I think by being more visually pleasing and hence more desirable..........thus making them more valuable..........:biggrin.:

Magicallbill
03-30-2009, 10:00 PM
LOL....
One of the big advantages to me of moving from Indiana to California was NOT being around parts of her family! :outtahere:

(Actually, they're pretty good. It's just her mom I'd be worried about...I figure I need that couple thousand miles as a buffer so she doesn't have a drama-meltdown and show up on our doorstep)
Zelatore..

I guess I should've qualified my statement by saying that I'm divorced 28+ years now.
Happy as can be and I actually stop by and see my Ex- Mother-In-Law and Father-In-Law in Zephyrhills while I trailer my boat on the way home from the Keys.
So I go to Fla. to see my Ex in-laws and then come home to Ind.

Cuda
03-30-2009, 11:42 PM
No warnings with earthquakes...we can at least listen to Jim Cantore to tell the people that LISTEN that a hurricane is showing its ugly ass somewhere near...I guess the ones in New Orleans that stayed for Katrina...don't watch the weather channel...or don't understand the language...
Here, here! If you see Jim Cantore coming into town, it's time to get the f*&k out!

That being said, in the 42 years I've lived in Florida, only in 2004 was I ever effected by a hurricane. I'll take that over the certainty of a cold, snowy winter every year.

Cuda
03-30-2009, 11:44 PM
But Canadian heads are WAY better looking so I think by being more visually pleasing and hence more desirable..........thus making them more valuable..........:biggrin.:
Not the Canadian heads I've seen down here. They look like they were born ugly, then the devil jumped up and scared them!:biggrin.:

Barry Eller
03-31-2009, 05:30 AM
Actually, I've never seen a Canadian head down here.. They can't see over the steering wheel...

Thats right,eh?

We have Canadians here that play for the Pensacola Ice Pilots, a ECHL team. Most of those guys are missing teeth,eh?:biggrin.:

boxy
03-31-2009, 08:30 AM
Which means Carrie Underwood, and Hillary Duff might be in the arena.....

donzi182003
03-31-2009, 01:45 PM
I personally put 60 hours of runtime in my boat since November...... Yep you guys are right:yes:... Warm weather sucks......

boxy
03-31-2009, 02:15 PM
I personally put 60 hours of runtime in my boat since November...... Yep you guys are right:yes:... Warm weather sucks......

60 hours in 150 days ........ Well that makes all the crime, and hurricanes worthwhile :D :D

fogducker III
03-31-2009, 02:19 PM

Is that all.................:rolleyes::confused:

fogducker III
03-31-2009, 02:20 PM
Not the Canadian heads I've seen down here. They look like they were born ugly, then the devil jumped up and scared them!:biggrin.:

We export all the ugly and short ones down there, we send the rest spread out all over the US and keep the good ones here for breeding reasons..............:biggrin.:

Cuda
03-31-2009, 02:51 PM
60 hours in 150 days ........ Well that makes all the crime, and hurricanes worthwhile :D :D

How many hours did YOU put in during the same time period?:confused::pimp:

Cuda
03-31-2009, 02:52 PM
We export all the ugly and short ones down there, we send the rest spread out all over the US and keep the good ones here for breeding reasons..............:biggrin.:
I thought there was a reason they looked interbred.:eek:

Cuda
03-31-2009, 02:54 PM
Which means Carrie Underwood, and Hillary Duff might be in the arena.....

Who the f is Hillary Duff? She must be famous in Canada, but I wouldn't know who she is, if she bit me on the butt!:outtahere:

fogducker III
03-31-2009, 03:01 PM
I thought there was a reason they looked interbred.:eek:

Interbred usually means within the same family..........you should know that.....:rolleyes::wink:

It is OK to be the same Nationality, although you have to be careful WHICH Nationality you breed with.............:rlol:

Lenny
03-31-2009, 03:03 PM
Is that all.................:rolleyes::confused:

I can vouch for Jeremy and I can tell you he put MORE than 60 hours on his boat/motor since late October :eek:

Now, would I go out on the days he has ? NO, he has better weather gear than I do or care to own :D

boxy
03-31-2009, 03:06 PM
How many hours did YOU put in during the same time period?:confused::pimp:

I put on 10 hours in the first week of November, then everything got put away, but we are not talking about me, we are talking about all the boating you FLA guys seem to talk about.
There seems to be a bunch of Florida guys who always boast about how great the boating weather is, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of you doing any boating.

I didn't figure you would know who Hilary Duff was, she never played a Honky Tonk .... :D

Cuda
03-31-2009, 03:27 PM
I didn't figure you would know who Hilary Duff was, she never played a Honky Tonk .... :D
No wonder I don't know her. Did she ever open for Larry the Cable Guy? :)

fogducker III
03-31-2009, 03:29 PM
I can vouch for Jeremy and I can tell you he put MORE than 60 hours on his boat/motor since late October :eek:

Now, would I go out on the days he has ? NO, he has better weather gear than I do or care to own :D

Lenny, I think my next little "project" will be to somehow hook up a dry dive suit to an engine closed cooling system, I just have to figure out how to regulate the tempature, don't want to "par-broil" you............:eek:

boxy
03-31-2009, 04:40 PM
No wonder I don't know her. Did she ever open for Larry the Cable Guy? :)
Not sure. Reno Collier opened up for him last time I saw him.

C8M96Hmfb4k

Cuda
04-01-2009, 07:10 AM
LTC lives in Sanford, about 20 miles from me. A girl I know saw him in the feed store, and was looking at him. He said, "Yes, it's me, but I'm undercover". He was dressed just like LTC, but his shirt said "Keith" on it. :biggrin.: