PDA

View Full Version : Left hand drive, WHY?

Planetwarmer
03-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Did Donzi make a left hand drive 22C?

Why did they ever make right hand drive on any boat? Why do they make left hand drive now?

What is your preference?

Just Say N20
03-27-2009, 02:20 PM
24 degree deadrise at the transom = more likely hood of listing.

Right/Left Drive was usually designed to offset the rotational torque produced by the prop as it goes through the water.
Volvos traditionally were set up to spin counter-clockwise. This would induce a clockwise torque on the boat. Putting the driver on the left side of the boat would serve to counteract the clockwise torque, keeping the boat running flatter (side to side).

Mercury outdrives are usually set up to turn clockwise, so everything is the opposite of what it is on the Volvo, so they helm is on the right side of the boat. The picture is a clockwise (Mercury type) prop, which will want to rotate the boat counter clock wise, raising the right (starboard) side of the boat up. Putting more weight on the right side will offset the thrust.

I don't know that one is better than the other.

mattyboy
03-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Back in the early days the classics were left hand drive , this was specifically designed that way by the designer Jim Wynne who had a stake in volvo, merc didn't have a lh rotation , so market share is your answer . later as merc became bigger the classics were mainly rh helm

there were some early classics that were rh helm and usually had other than volvo power but the majority were lh

mrfixxall
03-27-2009, 03:06 PM
on the 27-29 single screw fountain reggie spun the bravos left handed..he claimed it was faster spinning the drive counter clockwise opposed to clockwise..on a bigger boat i guess it dont matter which way the prop spins or what side the driver sit on..we tryed a left hand prop on a friends baja with the same pitch prop and it ran 2mph faster so i guess reggies theroie was rite on:beer:

Planetwarmer
03-27-2009, 03:35 PM
I was talking about steering wheel being on the left or right side of the boat.

Interesting about the prop rotation though.

Just Say N20
03-27-2009, 03:59 PM
I was talking about steering wheel being on the left or right side of the boat.

Interesting about the prop rotation though.

The driver sits on the same side as the steering wheel, so that is where the weight would be to counter the prop torque.

Volvos tend to have steering on the left. Mercurys tend to have steering on the right.

Planetwarmer
03-27-2009, 04:07 PM
The driver sits on the same side as the steering wheel, so that is where the weight would be to counter the prop torque.

Volvos tend to have steering on the left. Mercurys tend to have steering on the right.

So, you actually answered me with your 1st comment. I just didn't read it carefully enough.

So, why are some huge cats (ie 36 foot skater) setup with right and some with left then? Driver preference? I doubt that a drivers weight has a whole lot to do with a boat that big.

mrfixxall
03-27-2009, 05:01 PM
So, you actually answered me with your 1st comment. I just didn't read it carefully enough.

So, why are some huge cats (ie 36 foot skater) setup with right and some with left then? Driver preference? I doubt that a drivers weight has a whole lot to do with a boat that big.

my friends 36 skater has two helms left and right,just got to move the steering wheel :)

Planetwarmer
03-27-2009, 05:21 PM
my friends 36 skater has two helms left and right,just got to move the steering wheel :)

I guess that would be his preference as to witch side to drive on then.

f_inscreenname
03-27-2009, 07:50 PM
I've been told a thousand reasons why but I have to say it just feels natural to have the helm on the left side.

Lenny
03-27-2009, 08:06 PM
I've been told a thousand reasons why but I have to say it just feels natural to have the helm on the left side.

I thought it was to free up your right hand for drinking...

BUIZILLA
03-27-2009, 08:21 PM
The driver sits on the same side as the steering wheel, I would damn sure hope so :outtahere: :biggrin:

Just Say N20
03-27-2009, 09:19 PM
I would damn sure hope so :outtahere: :biggrin:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I was trying to "gently" reiterate the point that was apparently missed in the original answer.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Planetwarmer
03-27-2009, 10:27 PM
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I was trying to "gently" reiterate the point that was apparently missed in the original answer.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
You could have just to read what you said ALOT more carefully.

Just Say N20
03-28-2009, 08:21 AM
You could have just to read what you said ALOT more carefully.

I didn't want to seem rude. :yes:

Planetwarmer
03-28-2009, 11:34 AM
I guess I was expecting to hear something different is why I didnt read it carefully. I figured there was a totally different reason than the rotation of the propeller. Something along the lines of: All ocean going vessels have left hand drive, while all lake boats are R hand drive.

SO, originally the only reason that the driver sits on the left or right of the boat is due to prop rotation?:boat:

Just Say N20
03-28-2009, 12:15 PM
SO, originally the only reason that the driver sits on the left or right of the boat is due to prop rotation?:boat:

This is the only explanation I have ever heard, and it really only applies to single engine craft. And it makes sense, so I passed it along.

I know there is truth to the effect to the prop/torque effect. The first time I chopped the throttle in an 18 I got a real surprise :eek:. It rolled to the side BIG TIME. I got back on the throttle, and it leveled right out.

BigGrizzly
03-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Yes.