PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 276c or better?

txtaz
03-27-2009, 08:27 AM
I'm looking at a Garmin GPSMAP 276 Color GPS. I've read through the old posts and it seems good. They are running about $330 now.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Da Taz

zelatore
03-27-2009, 10:29 AM
If you really like Garmin and have a little room in the budget, try to step up to the 5xx series. Newer technology, easier to use, bigger display, and higher resolution. Plus they have built-in charts and can still take a chip for charts of other areas (i.e. you get the one with built-in US coastal charts and you can still plug in a chip for inland lakes or vice-versa) MSRP will be around $600 depending on the unit/features you want, but a little internet searching will find them for well under that.

I've steered clear of Garmin in the past for full-size products, but over the last year or two they've really advanced their product line. They're too the point where I might now consider them on our big boats, although I'd have to do a lot of research before replacing my old stand-by of Raymarine.

Regardless of what chartplotter you go with, I ALWAYS recommend you go with the largest screen you can. It's the smart move every time.

txtaz
03-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Thanks Don, I'll check out the 5xx series.

Da Taz