PDA

View Full Version : Best exhaust

DC18
03-26-2009, 09:18 AM
What is the best performance exhaust for small blocks?
$$ verses quality.
H.P. and torque gains.
Weight savings.

STAINLESS MARINE
IMCO
CMI

VetteLT193
03-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Stainless has a nice set. I have Eddie Marine. They are nice too but if I bought new I'd go SM.

CMI's are nice but doubt they will be any better than SM on a small block.

donzi2287
03-26-2009, 09:42 AM
Stainless marine for a small block. They are easy to install too. If money is not the issue than CMI

fogducker III
03-26-2009, 09:46 AM
I have both SM and Eddie, not very happy with Eddie quality or customer support and price is high for what you get. SM are well made and so far are getting the job done. I have not owned CMI or Imco...........:confused:

VetteLT193
03-26-2009, 10:02 AM
I have both SM and Eddie, not very happy with Eddie quality or customer support and price is high for what you get. SM are well made and so far are getting the job done. I have not owned CMI or Imco...........:confused:

I'll second that Eddie customer support basically sucks.

Quality is great on my EMI's though, no complaints there.

CHACHI
03-26-2009, 10:16 AM
I have EMI's on my 454, came with the boat. Fit well, no leaks. can't really answer any questions about increase in performance as I never owned the boat with the stock exhaust.

Needed some gaskets last year ASAP, customer service had them out the same day, overnight.

Ken

VetteLT193
03-26-2009, 10:41 AM
stumbled upon these, if you are ok with the aluminum short tails

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2F14030911522 0_W0QQfviZ1&item=140309115220&viewitem=

widowmaker
03-26-2009, 10:42 AM
I voted for the CMIs because I have no experience with either of the two others. It took two attempts to get the tailpipes right for my Sport Tube setup, but the second set fit and work beautifully.

txtaz
03-26-2009, 10:48 AM
I had Stainless Marine on the small block and will get Stainless Marine for the big block. GOOD stuff.

Da Taz

kcatucci
03-26-2009, 03:31 PM
I cant vote!

I have one of the very few Stellings built for small block.

osur866
03-26-2009, 04:17 PM
If price isn't and an object I too would go with the CMI's but since price was an issue I went with the Stainless Marine, as far as performance, I gained an increase of just 80 rpm's on topend, saved 83lbs over stock, but the boat will fly more flat and plan quicker. I also noticed better fuel economy over stock, and it will give a deeper rumble from the transom. If you ask Madpoodle he can probably hook you up with good pricing on the SM as well. Steve

BigGrizzly
03-26-2009, 06:36 PM
The best bang for the buck is Stainless Marine. Unless you have a 383 with big time ponies the CMI is a added expense but to me are the I built my 502 around the exhaust. The truth is with stainless I would have been just tine.

mphatc
03-26-2009, 07:34 PM
are we talking Ford or Chevy . . . .
Chevy has lots of options . . and unless you are spinning one fancy built SBC I wouldn't spend the money on CMI . . .***
for Fords you have few options . . CMI . .

My SBF has CMI headers, and in spite of a ten month wait on delivery and some issues after that I am happy.
My issues relate to the AFR heads with a different spark plug location than the standard Ford small block and fitment of the headers. It took alot of work.
One other factor with CMI tubular headers for the Ford application... they seem to build only one tube size . . which is too large for a mild small block . . the internal volume is too large for the amount of exhaust gas flow, and can lead to water reversion . . at low engine speeds if your cam is agressive and your CR high.
They shipped mine w/o the anti-revesion cones and I needed to modify how the water is injected into the elbows . . this would have been a PIA for most but I fortunately have the tools and the facilties in which to make changes.

CMI introduced a new set for SBC last year at a lower price point . . and with smaller primary tubes . . . certainly worth looking at. They add lots of bling as well!
Don't rule out any aluminum products . .DART HEADS now has a coating for aluminunm to protect against corrosion . . so the water jacket of aluminum can be coated.

Hope this helps, I know I went of the original question a bit.

Mario L.

1969 Corsican
1968 Magnum 27

osur866
03-26-2009, 08:04 PM
Here's what the SM would look like on a stock motor. Only complaint I have is in order to change the spark plus I must pull the manifold now, but its really not that bad of a job. Steve

gcarter
03-27-2009, 09:55 AM
Speaking of changing plugs, on the SM manifolds installed on the Minx, I noticed a difference in spark plug sockets and also the plugs I used, i.e., the height location of the hex on the plug.
By picking and choosing tools and plugs, that job can become a lot easier.

VetteLT193
03-27-2009, 10:07 AM
I never realized how different the SM setup is Vs Eddie Marine. The EMI's aren't flat on the bottom so plug changes are the same as usual. I wonder why SM set it up the way they did?

BigGrizzly
03-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Vette, the only thing I can say is they work well.

osur866
03-27-2009, 05:07 PM
Speaking of changing plugs, on the SM manifolds installed on the Minx, I noticed a difference in spark plug sockets and also the plugs I used, i.e., the height location of the hex on the plug.
By picking and choosing tools and plugs, that job can become a lot easier.
GC, don't know what kind of heads you had on the Minx, but mine has the late model vortex heads and if you think you can change them with the manifolds on then your welcome to show me, you can barely get the plug wire off let alone the plug out, getting it loose is one thing but getting the plug out of the head is another, I was able to loosen it only to have it hit the manifold before coming all the way out of the head. I spent about 30 min. trying to get 1 plug out and decided to pull the manifold which only takes what 10 mins. I'm just sayin good luck changing plugs with them on a late model SB. Do yourself a favor pull the manifolds and change plugs and the seawater pump all at the same time over the winter. Steve

osur866
03-27-2009, 05:11 PM
I'm very happy with the SM don't get me wrong, for the money I don't think you can beat them for their longivity and performance, I'm just expressing the one and IMO only downfall to them on the later model vortex heads. Steve

gcarter
03-27-2009, 06:29 PM
GC, don't know what kind of heads you had on the Minx, but mine has the late model vortex heads and if you think you can change them with the manifolds on then your welcome to show me, you can barely get the plug wire off let alone the plug out, getting it loose is one thing but getting the plug out of the head is another, I was able to loosen it only to have it hit the manifold before coming all the way out of the head. I spent about 30 min. trying to get 1 plug out and decided to pull the manifold which only takes what 10 mins. I'm just sayin good luck changing plugs with them on a late model SB. Do yourself a favor pull the manifolds and change plugs and the seawater pump all at the same time over the winter. Steve
Steve, the Minx had Vortex heads. The first set of plugs had a short hex near the bottom of the plug (I think they were NGK's) i could get a thin wall socket on at an angle and remove them w/o any pfoblem at all.
Then I changed to Denso Irridium plugs and I had to revert to an end wrench because the hex was taller. It just takes some experimentation.

osur866
03-27-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm using the stock ac delco not sure of the # off hand, but getting the plug loose is not the issue its getting it out of the head, seems as if I can't get it totally unscrewed before it hits the manifold, not a really big deal to just pull the manifold, IMO it saves time anyway and a few cus words to boot.

Ed Donnelly
03-29-2009, 02:16 PM
I had the same problem with getting my plugs out too.
Called Brownie and did what he suggested. used a Dremal to enlarge area restricting the plug socket, then used touch up paint ..Works great now..Ed

BUIZILLA
03-29-2009, 08:24 PM
$$ verses quality.
H.P. and torque gains.
STAINLESS MARINE
IMCO
CMI is there any conclusive evidence that SSM developed more power versus $$$$ spent over the IMCO? if so, please post...

DC18
03-29-2009, 10:24 PM
is there any conclusive evidence that SSM developed more power versus $$$$ spent over the IMCO? if so, please post...

Went to both websights. Info below. No info on SM, performance gains just price. Some info on IMCO, although it does not appear to be documented. It appears that they are verry simular.

STAINLESS MARINE

Part Number
01-2210000

Description Set of S/B Manifolds with stainless rissers Price:
$1,800.00

IMCP POWER FLOW

Powerflow Small Block Kit with Stainless Risers
Powerflow now offers a small block system. This system is designed after the big block kit using the same riser system. This system will increase your torque and horsepower by 10%. This system is also available fully polished, too. Powerflow manifolds are manufactured using the finest materials and most advanced techniques available. The high quality aluminum manifold castings feature water jackets that surround each exhaust passage, including the port, to eliminate the possibility of burn out.
The outside manifold surfaces are then coated with the highest quality epoxy powder coating available, creating a part that not only is highly corrosion resistant, but good looking as well. Features an external fitting to accept stock MerCruiser thermostat plumbing.
Sale Price $1,975.9

VetteLT193
03-30-2009, 09:04 AM
is there any conclusive evidence that SSM developed more power versus $$$$ spent over the IMCO? if so, please post...

The information is no where to be found so far... It's quite shocking that one of the magazines hasn't done a comparo yet.

fasttrucker
03-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Just about to install the new Hardin marine Super Sport Offshore Exhaust System on my 350 mag.Ill post pictures when It gets done.They have all these great performance claims........will see.:confused:

DC18
03-31-2009, 12:39 AM
Just about to install the new Hardin marine Super Sport Offshore Exhaust System on my 350 mag.Ill post pictures when It gets done.They have all these great performance claims........will see.:confused:
Was also looking/checking into Hardin Marine. Lots of claims on their site.
Price seems to be competive. Let us know how easy/hard install is and their fit and finish. When you get your boat on the water.......give us the details.

BigGrizzly
03-31-2009, 09:17 AM
OK Lets get real here for a moment. I have seen a lot of tests, done a lot of work on them. the truth is unless you have good power to start with It won't be a nickles difference in most stuff. Stock Merc being at the bottom and Tube type being at the top. The biggest bonus is weigh, not horse power. NOW you need to be concerned on looks and fit and/or price. Harding is a good brand and fit well. For me I like Stainless Marine for fit and finish. My CMIs fit and finish was astounding but pricey. Now everyone needs to know that I took the boat up their to make the silent choice, because Merc had misplaced the drawings of the engine trans combo and because the exhaust exits on Criterion's differ from one year to the next.

fasttrucker
03-31-2009, 02:25 PM
Was also looking/checking into Hardin Marine. Lots of claims on their site.
Price seems to be competive. Let us know how easy/hard install is and their fit and finish. When you get your boat on the water.......give us the details.
Oh ya,will post pictures and write an essay!Hope my boat goes from 60-62 to at least 63 mph!

kcatucci
04-01-2009, 09:57 AM
My Stellings are on aluminum heads. When I got them I had to have the stainless flange notched as much as i could but it still wasnt enough so I bought a deep socket and cut half of the center out leaving a ring on each end. This allowed me to get the socket on and get the plugs out. If i remember I will take a pic and post it.

BigGrizzly
04-01-2009, 10:04 AM
My CMI are on a BBC and don't have an issue and My CMI on the 351 Clevland also do not nave an issue.