PDA

View Full Version : Hot Shot Mick - Raylar Questions

Carl C
03-25-2009, 05:00 PM
You are the only Donzi.net member that I am aware of who had the Raylar kit w/CMIs installed. Would you be willing to share your honest views of this package and what performance gains you saw?

wannabe
03-25-2009, 07:55 PM
You are the only Donzi.net member that I am aware of who had the Raylar kit w/CMIs installed. Would you be willing to share your honest views of this package and what performance gains you saw?

Sure he will if you sell him back the Shorty !!!:rlol:

Planetwarmer
03-25-2009, 10:47 PM
Don't Raylars come with swim platforms?

Donziweasel
03-26-2009, 07:35 AM
What's not to like about the Raylar kit. For 6000.00 you get the power of a 525 or more. Save about 15,000-20,000 to boot.

roadtrip se
03-26-2009, 07:52 AM
My momma says keep it to yourself if you don't have something positive to say, but Mick can speak for himself.

My book? Nice looking package, but not delivering the donuts as advertised. As for the $6K, remember "some assembly is required"
and take-out, asking prices for some 525's are in the upper teens, not to mention a lot of 500's out there in the lower teens.

I would research this one heavily before commiting to it.

Carl C
03-26-2009, 08:02 AM
Sure he will if you sell him back the Shorty !!!:rlol:

Don't Raylars come with swim platforms?

My momma says keep it to yourself if you don't have something positive to say, but Mick can speak for himself

My book? Nice looking package, but not delivering the donuts as advertised. As for the $6K, remember "some assembly is required"
and take-out, asking prices for 525's are in the upper teens, not to mention a lot of 500's out there in the lower teens.

There's a real purty low hour 525 on OSO for $19,500 asking. Real tempting and I can get the cash but don't know if I want to take on that debt right now. How easy do you guys suppose it would be to sell a strong running 496 HO w/CMIs and about 200 hours? I wouldn't be doing the swap until after this boating season.

BigGrizzly
03-26-2009, 08:06 AM
Problem is there are a lot of kits out for the 496, but the Raylar is one of the best, because it is a comeplete package and they have a durable combination. This is not saying that the others are bad. Just remember if your towing a full beer wagon, a quarter horse won't pull it as well as a Clydesdale. :biggrin.:

Carl C
03-26-2009, 08:14 AM
Problem is there are a lot of kits out for the 496, but the Raylar is one of the best, because it is a comeplete package and they have a durable combination. This is not saying that the others are bad. Just remember if your towing a full beer wagon, a quarter horse won't pull it as well as a Clydesdale. :biggrin.:

I am looking at different options right now. That 525 is real tempting. Complete with exhaust.

Carl C
03-26-2009, 08:24 AM
Here is the 525......brain is going 100 mph right now....:hyper::nilly:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/2007_mercury_racing_525-o28219-en.html

mattyboy
03-26-2009, 08:29 AM
Here is the 525......brain is going 100 mph right now....:hyper::nilly:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/2007_mercury_racing_525-o28219-en-html

Working on link - stay tuned..........

Carl

slow down your brain can't go 100 mph and type, the link is no good or someone has a faster brain and scooped up the 525 already ???

Carl C
03-26-2009, 08:35 AM
Carl

slow down your brain can't go 100 mph and type, the link is no good or someone has a faster brain and scooped up the 525 already ???

I fixed the link. Put a dash where a dot shoulda been :rolleyes:. Should I go for it? Tennesee is close enough that I could go pick it up. The good link is on post #9. Matt's quote won't work. HedgeHog, is this the same motor I spoke with you about?

Carl C
03-26-2009, 08:52 AM
Sent an offer on the Blue Baby. Sorry guys...brain racing....maybe a little adult ADHD hehe. Just thinking about that motor in my boat gives me an adrenaline rush. Blower could go on later after the motor is paid off. Matty I may have to go from A to B to C to D instead of directly from A to D. ;)

roadtrip se
03-26-2009, 09:48 AM
I am looking at different options right now. That 525 is real tempting. Complete with exhaust.

Very nice. That is not "complete with exhaust". Where are the tails?
I would also do my research on the leaky CMI header issue. These look like the newer style, but I would confirm before commiting.

One thing for sure, my money is on THAT smoking a Raylar "525" every day of the week.

Breathe deeply....

Carl C
03-26-2009, 09:56 AM
Very nice. That is not "complete with exhaust". Where are the tails?
I would also do my research on the leaky CMI header issue. These look like the newer style, but I would confirm before commiting.

One thing for sure, my money is on THAT smoking a Raylar "525" every day of the week.

Breathe deeply....

No tails but if possible I'd like to hook up to my Q&Q. I would think a 2007 engine would have a good exhaust unless someone pulled a switcheroo. I have made what I think to be a very good offer. Assuming that the motor can't be fired up on the floor (yes, I've done that!) is there anything else I should look at? I will look into the sellers rep but I guess it is "buyer beware"?

roadtrip se
03-26-2009, 10:29 AM
They say it can't and shouldn't be done. Mine as worked fine since 2002.

What I had to do was take the CMI tails and have them modified by Corsa to have the divertors added.

This aside, I doubt your 496 CMI tails are going to work with the 525 exhaust.
Maybe you will get lucky, but I would anticiapte new tails as part of the budget for this.

mattyboy
03-26-2009, 10:33 AM
I will look into the sellers rep but I guess it is "buyer beware"?

i would do that very nicely if I were you did you read the last line in the ad???

:uzi: :shocker: ;)

looks like a nice motor in very good shape

VetteLT193
03-26-2009, 10:37 AM
that 525 has been for sale for a couple weeks now.

Air 22
03-26-2009, 10:42 AM
No tails but if possible I'd like to hook up to my Q&Q. I would think a 2007 engine would have a good exhaust unless someone pulled a switcheroo. I have made what I think to be a very good offer. Assuming that the motor can't be fired up on the floor (yes, I've done that!) is there anything else I should look at? I will look into the sellers rep but I guess it is "buyer beware"?

Carl FYI.... The 8.1liter(496) and 8.2liter(525, 500, 502) DECK DECKHEIGHT"s are different..ur 496 Cmi's prob will not boltup...add approx $2000 for CMI Tails and possibly a new WIRE HARNESS for the 525. Food for thought:rolleyes:...oh yea..then there is the removal and install costs too...:)

Carl C
03-26-2009, 11:30 AM
i would do that very nicely if I were you did you read the last line in the ad???

:uzi: :shocker: ;)

looks like a nice motor in very good shape

Yeah, wish I had a machine gun laying around. Hey, Rootsy....

Carl FYI.... The 8.1liter(496) and 8.2liter(525, 500, 502) DECK DECKHEIGHT"s are different..ur 496 Cmi's prob will not boltup...add approx $2000 for CMI Tails and possibly a new WIRE HARNESS for the 525. Food for thought:rolleyes:...oh yea..then there is the removal and install costs too...:)

OK thanks. I know it won't be a cheap or easy project. That's why I wouldn't start until fall. I will do all the work myself. Sounds like the wiring will plug in with the included adapter. Still premature to go into too much detail. If the engine ends up in my garage we can start talking....

Donziweasel
03-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Todd, what year CMI's have leaks? Got a pair coming on my 540. What am I looking for here? Just want to make sure the engine is solid before I install it.

roadtrip se
03-26-2009, 12:02 PM
John, this was a design issue specific to the 525 pipes as speced by Merc.
I am not absolutely sure when they addressed it, but I certainly would find out before I bought one of these things.

It was also more evident on salt boats.

I have had great service out of my CMIs and I wouldn't think any of these issues would crop up on a new set of headers for the Crit. Sorry to alarm.

VetteLT193
03-26-2009, 12:12 PM
I've read that the Merc CMI's are not as good as the CMI's you buy directly from CMI.

In summary, it sounds like Merc is really good at squeezing the hell out of vendors so they have to save money somewhere so the product isn't as good.

mattyboy
03-26-2009, 02:42 PM
525 :eek: cmi :eek: :shocker:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/159021-525-header-failure-5.html

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/191487-525-header-leak.html

I would make sure these have the cool collar

Carl C
03-26-2009, 03:33 PM
So the most expensive header on the market has the highest failure rate? WTF?:banghead:

Carl C
03-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Seller says he is firm on his asking price of $19,900. I had offered $17,000.

Donziweasel
03-26-2009, 05:23 PM
From what I have read, it was only the CMI 525 headers that leaked with age. Sounds like the other engine sizes were fine.

Read some guys that were seriously pissed off about replacing a 20,000.00+ engine due to exhaust failure. Not just on OSO, but elsewhere as well.

The Hedgehog
03-26-2009, 05:27 PM
He is a friend of mine. The motor is what it is supposed to be. I will be over at John's house next week and will be glad to verify anything in person next week. He is a straight up guy and he does not exactly need to sell it.

He does Special Assets work these days so he probably comes across a little gruff.

Weasel: Your CMI's are probably just fine.

CHACHI
03-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Carl, have you consulted with your insurance agent/company regarding more power?

I have spoken with my agent and the max my current policy will cover is 500 HP. They didn't specify engine or prop shaft HP.

It is just a thought.

Ken

Carl C
03-26-2009, 06:28 PM
He is a friend of mine. The motor is what it is supposed to be. I will be over at John's house next week and will be glad to verify anything in person next week. He is a straight up guy and he does not exactly need to sell it.

He does Special Assets work these days so he probably comes across a little gruff.

Weasel: Your CMI's are probably just fine.

Hedge, keep me informed please. I really need to think on this for a while.

Carl, have you consulted with your insurance agent/company regarding more power?

I have spoken with my agent and the max my current policy will cover is 500 HP. They didn't specify engine or prop shaft HP.

It is just a thought.

Ken

My current insurer (All-State) never asked how much power or how fast the boat was but yours is a legitamate concern. I will look into it.

BigGrizzly
03-26-2009, 06:30 PM
John, here is the story. It was on early 525, because Merc did not want yo go of the expense of putting the cool collier on. they also did away with the reversion ring on some. They crack pretty quick so it is a non issue. True the Merc CMI are not as good ad the after market ones. However Merc now ownes CMI.

Air 22
03-26-2009, 08:21 PM
If you have CMI Issues:rolleyes:...call the source:wink:...and call the one of the distributors..:wink:

CMI
catalog or talk to a Custom Marine sales representative:
Call: 920-720-4225
Fax: 920-722-4530
E-mail: cmiinfo@custommarine.com

Custom Marine Inc
1315 County Road G
Neenah, WI 54956

ATECO ENGINES CMI Distributor
If you have a question or comment, please e-mail us at info@atecoengines.com.

Shop Address
2103 Washington St.
Waukegan, IL 60085
Tel: (847) 623-2737
Fax: (847) 623-2752

Greg K
03-26-2009, 09:40 PM
I thought CMI & Livorsi were owned by Compx (http://www.compx.com/)

True the Merc CMI are not as good ad the after market ones. However Merc now ownes CMI.

Air 22
03-26-2009, 10:15 PM
http://www.rbbi.com/company/bc/bc.htm#intro

"Brunswick is a very major player in the marine industry with Mercury Marine, MerCruiser, Bayliner, Sea Ray, Boston Whaler, and several more boat companies. Brunswick has long been a major player in bowling industry products, bowling facilities, and pool tables.
Brunswick is headquartered in the Chicago area at Lake Forest IL and celebrated its 150th anniversary in 1995. They were one of very last Fortune 500 companies to establish a web site.

Some Brunswick Web Sites
Brunswick Corporate Web Site

BC financial / stockholder yahoo discussion board

Life Fitness

Hammer Strength

Sea Ray

Bayliner

Boston Whaler

Maxum

Mercury Marine

Motor Guide

Land 'N' Sea

Attwood

Brunswick Billiards

Brunswick Bowling..."

Air 22
03-26-2009, 10:19 PM
I thought CMI & Livorsi were owned by Compx (http://www.compx.com/)

Interesting now we see where the font comes from in CMI...:wink: same RED C's in Compx and Custom Marine..:)

hot shot
03-27-2009, 01:42 PM
my raylar kit to date has not overly impressed me....ray is telling me i need at least a 1/2 fuel line.....( not sure what size mine is yet) anyone out there know.... also said i need the capibility of feeding the engine 1000 cfm of air and questioned the stock vents ( and that issue has already been discused here on the site.... but i sent my ecm to be reprogramed and have not run the boat yet we'll see at the aoth... i think he bumped up the rev limiter to 5400 we'll see

Carl C
03-27-2009, 01:56 PM
my raylar kit to date has not overly impressed me....ray is telling me i need at least a 1/2 fuel line.....( not sure what size mine is yet) anyone out there know.... also said i need the capibility of feeding the engine 1000 cfm of air and questioned the stock vents ( and that issue has already been discused here on the site.... but i sent my ecm to be reprogramed and have not run the boat yet we'll see at the aoth... i think he bumped up the rev limiter to 5400 we'll see

Thanks, Mick. I've been told these engines will float the valves much over the 5150 rev limiter. I'm working on something right now.....

handfulz28
03-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks, Mick. I've been told these engines will float the valves much over the 5150 rev limiter. I'm working on something right now.....

The full raylar kit includes new heads/springs/etc that change the max RPM limit of the hardware.

BigGrizzly
03-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Mick your fuel line is 3/8 inch I put 1/2 on mine but nany 1000CFM carbs / injections run 3/8. That is not the reason if it were it would run lean and cause a problem. We run 1000HP with 1/2 line so figure it out. No it isn't 1/4 it in reality would be just under 3/8 per 500 HP. Mick your boat does run well maybe not what you expected but it does run better than stock.