PDA

View Full Version : Putty/Floatation

RickR
03-25-2009, 07:34 AM
According to Mr X's link http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/boatbuilder/flotation_landing.htm

Boats over 20' are not required to have floatation. It does not look to me like there is enough flotation in a 22 Classic to prevent sinking. I always thought she would sink like a rock.

Is there enough foam in a 22C to prevent sinking???? What is the foam for??? Have any of the guys doing restorations on Donzis found water soaked foam?

Donzi uses putty between the tub and hull. I would think the hull would be stronger if the tub was tabbed into the forward engine bulkhead and to the crossmember in the foot well area.

Why does Donzi use putty instead of tabbing?????

gcarter
03-25-2009, 08:48 AM
According to Mr X's link http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/boatbuilder/flotation_landing.htm

Boats over 20' are not required to have floatation. It does not look to me like there is enough flotation in a 22 Classic to prevent sinking. I always thought she would sink like a rock.

Is there enough foam in a 22C to prevent sinking???? What is the foam for???

Donzi uses putty between the tub and hull. I would think the hull would be stronger if the tub was tabbed into the forward engine bulkhead and to the crossmember in the foot well area.

Boy, can I answer this one!

The tabs only work to locate and help secure the deck and stringers together but do nothing in compression. When we use our boats "agressively", they may experience 10 G's and the tabs will do nothing to keep the tub off the stringers. Then we have the floor damage so many us are so familiar with.
So, the putty at least works in compression and doesn't allow so much floor damage to occur.
There're better ways to locate the tub to the hull, but they aren't as simple as dumping a bunch of putty into the hull and setting the deck.

Lenny
03-25-2009, 09:02 AM

Do you want to morph into a worm and lay in there and somehow apply a soaked noodle of Roven to the area?

:D

I don't think even I would fit in there to be able to accomplish anything.