PDA

View Full Version : Can you count????

MOP
03-24-2009, 07:10 PM
The Dept Of Defense briefed the president this morning; they told OBAMA that 2 Brazilian soldiers were killed in Iraq. To everyone's surprise, all the color drained from Obama's face. Then he collapsed onto his desk, head in his hands, visibly shaken, almost in tears. Finally, he composed himself and asked, "Just how many is a brazilian?"

This is especially funny since he obviously has no understanding of billion or trillion either!

HOWARD O
03-24-2009, 07:41 PM
Something bugs me about this joke. Somehow I don't see this guy breaking down, tearing up or losing any composure whatsoever over any of our troop's deaths....a brazilian of them or not. I don't know, maybe it's just me? :rolleyes:

It's a funny joke, though I think I've lost my sense of humor with Obama. :frown:

boxy
03-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Come on MOP, there must be somebody in your daisy chain of email buddies who has a new CC'd joke for us.
At least when GWB was the punch line to this joke it was somewhat funny given his previous foibles....

Tony
03-24-2009, 09:04 PM
Something bugs me about this joke. Somehow I don't see this guy breaking down, tearing up or losing any composure whatsoever over any of our troop's deaths....a brazilian of them or not. I don't know, maybe it's just me? :rolleyes:

Hopefully it's just you. I understand, and even find humor in, the vitriolic political attacks rampant here...especially since I was the author of many criticisms of our last president.

But to suggest that any United States president does not grieve the loss of American servicemen is ludicrous and delusional.
In my opinion your political fervor has run amok, resulting in a personal attack totally absent of fact or logic.

:beer:

Tony
03-24-2009, 09:10 PM
foibles....

I love this word. :rlol::rlol:

Ghost
03-24-2009, 11:20 PM
Come on MOP, there must be somebody in your daisy chain of email buddies who has a new CC'd joke for us.
At least when GWB was the punch line to this joke it was somewhat funny given his previous foibles....

To be fair, BO has had some foibles already.

But for my thinking, this joke would be more apropos if updated with "is that more than 57?" or "Can't we just print a few Brazilians more?"

HOWARD O
03-25-2009, 08:08 AM
Hopefully it's just you. I understand, and even find humor in, the vitriolic political attacks rampant here...especially since I was the author of many criticisms of our last president.
But to suggest that any United States president does not grieve the loss of American servicemen is ludicrous and delusional.
In my opinion your political fervor has run amok, resulting in a personal attack totally absent of fact or logic.
Well, let's see. As an Illinois state senator, Obama twice opposed legislation to define as “persons” babies who survive late-term abortions. Obama said in a speech on the Illinois Senate floor that he could not accept that babies wholly emerged from their mother’s wombs are “persons,” and thus deserving of equal protection under the Constitution’s 14th Amendment. In doing this, he condones infanticide. This fact is indistupable, Tony. Makes me wonder how dear he holds a human life.
Barack Obama falsely accused American soldiers of "air raiding villages and killing civilians.":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrW4fOGIMVY
Obama didn’t bother to visit wounded troops on his visit to Germany, instead he went to the gym.
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/07/25/no_troop_visits_for_obama_in_g.html
His own Vice President even slammed him for voting against troop funding:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/2007-05-29-biden-iraq_N.htm
Tony, you've called me ludicrous, delusional and running amok. These are facts. As far as I'm concerned, these facts logically lead me to my opinion that he doesn't give a rat's ass about our Troops in any way whatsoever. My harsh opinion wasn't thrown out there lightly and I'm sorry you felt the need to insult me personally in your post. :rolleyes:

roadtrip se
03-25-2009, 08:27 AM
Well, let's see. As an Illinois state senator, Obama twice opposed legislation to define as “persons” babies who survive late-term abortions. Obama said in a speech on the Illinois Senate floor that he could not accept that babies wholly emerged from their mother’s wombs are “persons,” and thus deserving of equal protection under the Constitution’s 14th Amendment. In doing this, he condones infanticide. This fact is indistupable, Tony. Makes me wonder how dear he holds a human life.
Barack Obama falsely accused American soldiers of "air raiding villages and killing civilians.":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrW4fOGIMVY
Obama didn’t bother to visit wounded troops on his visit to Germany, instead he went to the gym.
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/07/25/no_troop_visits_for_obama_in_g.html
His own Vice President even slammed him for voting against troop funding:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/2007-05-29-biden-iraq_N.htm
Tony, you've called me ludicrous, delusional and running amok. These are facts. As far as I'm concerned, these facts logically lead me to my opinion that he doesn't give a rat's ass about our Troops in any way whatsoever. My harsh opinion wasn't thrown out there lightly and I'm sorry you felt the need to insult me personally in your post. :rolleyes:

Quite the reach to pull abortion in as a picture of what the O thinks of miltary conflict and respect for life. Kinda two different arguements don't you think?
One is in the womb, one is out getting shot at. For goodness sake, let the kid have a childhood before we start shooting at him okay?

As for the premise for starting the thread and to the tune of the old Dragnet TV show... DUMB, DUMB, DUMB, DUMB, DUMB....

Don't you guys have any other political axe to grind? The constant rhetoric and outright bull-puckey targeted at Obama accomplishes not one thing.
At least the Rush conversation is interesting and points to a dialog about how you rally conservatives to stop the socialization of our country.
You guys talk about "grass-roots" and "taking our country back". How about an original idea, just one, about how this gets started?

Ghost
03-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Some thoughts more about the "how" of the discussion than my opinions on the topics at hand:
The joke at the start of the thread is an old one. Funny to many of us the first time we heard it, less the second or third time. But not much anyone can do about that: if you've heard it before, you've heard it before. If not, not. But MOP's addition to it about Obama perhaps not knowing what a billion or a trillion is at least targets it in a relevant current context. And sure, it's not a Dubyian tongue-twister, it is something different. More a concern about the potential Obamian lack of understanding of the numerology of crushing debt.
I agree the thread name would not be my choice with JUST the joke, sans MOP's contextual comment tacked on it. But with the comment it seems less far afield to me. "Christ Obama, can you even count?!" would have been more clear I think, but the intent seems like it *could* have been the same. Am I wrong on this?
I would, however, have included "Political:" at the start of the thread name. A convention that I think can be helpful here--I keep reminding myself to try to remember if I ever start a thread of a political nature.
Tony's comment about Howard's post being "a personal attack absent fact or logic" struck me as well-founded. Howard then followed it up with his facts and logic, explaining his rationale. This included what to him appeared to be lack of respect for even the most INarguably-innocent oft-argued-life, which explains what would otherwise seem like a pure personal attack, noted by Tony before. One may debate his facts and logic on their own merits, but until one does, Tony's previously justified criticism (or call for more explanation) now seems satisfied to me. Worst case I would think one would debate the rationale further, but is it fair now for anyone to say that Howard's claim is not fabricated from whole cloth?
Also, is it fair to say the statement "[suggesting] any President does not grieve the loss of American servicemen is ludicrous and delusional" is a claim, itself with no supporting evidence yet furnished? (And, objectively, should not anyone conclude that the "delusional" part was, itself, an unsubstantiated personal attack unless further supported? Sadly, this one by its nature is hard to prove either way, and perhaps is destined to be unproductive in that regard, no?.)
The clip about troops "bombing villages and killing civilians" is not very long, so I take it with a grain of salt. It does not speak well of Mr. Obama, however, in my mind, regardless, for this reason. If he thinks our troops are just murderous thugs, does he think they are doing what he claims they are behaving as such because they want to?! If he doesn't think they are just murderous thugs, shouldn't he be very cautious about how he describes what is happening, always making clear that the poor troops are stuck between a rock and a hard place, doing the best they can while being given bad orders by bad leaders? Again, it was a short clip, and it is thus possible that it lacked context. But I will say I have seen SO MANY examples of politicians pandering to the far left by making such statements that indiscriminately impugn the morality of the GIs on the ground. (I was too young for most of the Vietnam-era stuff where I think this ugly tradition got started on a massive scale, but there are a lot of people who have had a bellyful of it, and were rightly fed up from the first bite.) Again, here we have only so much context from this short clip. But in my experience, some politicians on the left commonly pander in this way not unlike the way some politicians on the right commonly pander to the ultra-religious, for example. (The ones who run for President usually do a lot more of it earlier in their careers, and then reel it in for political expediency the nearer they get to the White House.) And for context, I, by the way, am NO FAN of the Iraq War. But I blame this on the Bush White House. The troops, I believe nearly to a man (and there are always SOME bad apples, and some mental casualties of war also) are doing their damnedest to make the best of a horribly difficult situation. And I think they have done remarkably well given the limited control they have to steer things. When making any statement that criticizes what they are doing, as Obama did, I think it is important to be VERY explicit about who's fault it is, and that it is NOT the fault of the troops. (Unless you think it is, and then you had best back it up to the hilt.) I *think* Obama likely failed to do this. The short clip alone doesn't provide absolute certainty on this.
Ugh, abortion. Well, if you wanted to, you couldn't create an issue of civil liberties that is more gnarly and conflicted. The essence of all philosophy of civil liberty is finding where one person's liberty stops as it starts to infringe on the liberty of the next person. So, Siamese twins and pregnant mothers are about the two most difficult messes one could even contrive. And, I don't think it makes sense to go further down this road, at least not today. (Probably ever. :) )
Not sure that this has the most productively focused thread we've ever had. :) I suppose this is what happens when wise-cracking snowballs into more serious matters, and the topic wanders.
In the spirit of my John Stewart comments yesterday, I felt compelled to try to add something here, where a joke about serious subjects fueled more serious debate, but the discussion was hamstrung with a lack of focus by its accidental origin. (Gotta hold myself to the standards I demanded of John.) So, my thinking here was really about the approach of the discussion, not the content itself, FWIW.

Regards all,

Mike (doctor of splintered, inadverently-serious political-threads)

(I won't make a habit of that, but I love Doc's ad-hoc signatures, and thus I've long wanted to be doctor of something myself. Chalk it up to footer envy. :) )

HOWARD O
03-25-2009, 06:38 PM
Roadtrip, I gave an opinion on what I thought about Obama and his position regarding our armed forces. So what? It really cracks me up that you take a few shots at me, but nothing of the fact that I was personally attacked . He could've called me to the carpet for attacking his Messiah personally....maybe that was even warranted, but the personal attacks were not. Obama is fair game, especially in light of the fact that he's erasing our Country's heritage. I take that personally.

My position on abortion really has no bearing on my premise that Obama doesn't have much value for human life. Even the vast majority of pro-choice advocates would not agree with Obama's position, and would draw the line long before Obama would. I'm not bringing up abortion as a personal cause here and am not preaching about it. I think his belief is over the top and that is all I was trying to convey. I think, you may not, but I think it's an indication of the value he places on human life.

Maybe instead of hurling some insults, Tony could've provided some hard facts that Obama "cares" about the troops. But like a typical liberal, he'll sling the insults when he's got nothing. Kind of reminds me of Obama, big poseur, empty suit. This guy is my President too, therefore he is open for discourse. Now if I were really scummy, I would've provided some juicy quotes from the 1st Lady regarding troops, "whitey" and the like. But I didn't go there.

HOWARD O
03-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Quite the reach to pull abortion in as a picture of what the O thinks of miltary conflict and respect for life. Kinda two different arguements don't you think?
One is in the womb, one is out getting shot at.

By the way, YOU need to do some studying up on various methods of abortion and what Obama actually supports. You're statement that "one is in the womb" is pretty naive. If you think that it has nothing to do with respect for life, well, I don't know what I could possibly say to you.

DonziJon
03-25-2009, 07:04 PM
Howie: Liberals are much like The BORG. Remember them from Star Trek? They are programed from assimilation, and are not influenced by, or susceptible to Reason or Common Sense. To them these concepts do not exist. They don't even recognize the possibility....Trying to reason with them is FUTILE. John

roadtrip se
03-26-2009, 07:39 AM
Sorry, guys. Take a look at where you are. A Chat Board.

Nobody "attacked" anyone and maybe because I know and have spent time with Tony, I know that he would never attack anyone. Do I agree with all of his views? NO. Could I have a productive and respectful conversation with him in person and on this board, YES.

Sorry, the abortion thing, while a barometer for a person's view for respect of life, this really has very little to do with one's view of death in the line of duty. A link, YES, but a reach.

As for the name calling, remember this is a CHAT board, so all it does is make you look like a bufoon. Jon, I for one stopped taking anything you said a long time ago with any seriousness. As for the Borg analogy, you haven't shown much independent or original thought that I can identify, so I guess there must be a Conservative Borg roving around out there. Let us know when you recognize it and decide to fire up a few of your own synapses... happy to help with the process when you recognize it. Afterall, Pickard did it, so can you...

TBroccoli
03-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Wow!, politics????

We need to get you guys a winter hobbie. Summer is right around the corner. MOP good humor. Thanks.

DonziJon
03-26-2009, 06:30 PM
As for the name calling, remember this is a CHAT board, so all it does is make you look like a bufoon. Jon, I for one stopped taking anything you said a long time ago with any seriousness. As for the Borg analogy, you haven't shown much independent or original thought that I can identify, so I guess there must be a Conservative Borg roving around out there. Let us know when you recognize it and decide to fire up a few of your own synapses... happy to help with the process when you recognize it. Afterall, Pickard did it, so can you...

Dear Roadtrip: Frankly, ..And after much reflection...I am Saddened... and Devastated, by your Hateful AND Personal Attack directed toward me even though my post was not directed at you. I sense that you have a deep hatred for someone or something, and just took it out on me. I forgive you... and wish you well. John

roadtrip se
03-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Dear Roadtrip: Frankly, ..And after much reflection...I am Saddened... and Devastated, by your Hateful AND Personal Attack directed toward me even though my post was not directed at you. I sense that you have a deep hatred for someone or something, and just took it out on me. I forgive you... and wish you well. John

Not buying it, not even for a second. This is just a complete buzz kill amongst friends, at least those of us who are friends.

Please. How can I hate or inflict a personal attack on you? I've never met you and this is a chat board... Please, just go get a life.

If there is any resentment at all from me, is that you and your ilk are just absolute kill-joys with nothing but negativity to spew here.
I love a great political, but enlightened political conversation, but all we seem to do here is grind, grind, and repeat, repeat, repeat.

Yawn!

Air 22
03-26-2009, 08:37 PM
LMAO:biggrin.:
Isn't Brazillian a WAX job too? I keep seeing it on my wife' CC Statement..hmmmm:rolleyes::biggrin.:

BUIZILLA
03-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Jay Leno for President :kingme:

boxy
03-27-2009, 06:12 AM
LMAO:biggrin.:
Isn't Brazillian a WAX job too? I keep seeing it on my wife' CC Statement..hmmmm:rolleyes::biggrin.:
Good thing you don't live in Jersey ...... :troll: