PDA

View Full Version : What's my Minx worth?

VetteLT193
03-24-2009, 09:40 AM
When I started this project I had 1 kid and it was the perfect boat for me.

Another kid later it's too small... I will be better off in about 2 years when the oldest is 4 and the little one is 2, but until then it is going to be a total pain to take the family out. If I had a bigger boat (a stand up Donzi, Formula SR1 etc) I could take my family plus 2 extra people out and not have to do all the work myself.

I know that I have more money (not to mention TIME!) into it than it will sell for. Too bad for me in that regard. On the flip side, I don't have to sell this boat so I'm not going to take a total bath. I love it as is and will be glad to keep it like I planned if it won't sell for something reasonable :yes:

So...
1988 Donzi Minx, Italian windshield, Merc 350 + mods (cam).
Almost the whole boat is New. Some of the parts are used with light run time like the exhaust (4 hours, bought from DonCig).
-3 coats of Awlgrip
-Interior (Pearl white carbon fiber with red piping)
-EMI exhaust + Triton exhaust hose
-Mighty Marine Demon Carb
-Stainless marine crossover
-Starter
-Electric fuel pump
-Racor fuel filter
-new fuel lines, hoses, belt
-New plugs and other general maintenance items
-Soon to be a new Alpha (**few hours used with nosecone)
-Soon to be new transom seal kit
-Gaffrig dual lever shifter
-all new Gaffrig gauges (11 total)
-new gauge panel, ignition switch, switches, fuses, plus new wiring
-Dual battery switch with one new battery. (2nd batt a future upgrade)
-When the Awlgrip was sprayed the floor hatch was re-cored. the rest of the boat was gone over and all checked out ok.
-I added non-skid to the cockpit with the Awlgrip
-South Florida Trailers aluminum trailer w/SS hardware (**1997 model)
-a bunch of other stuff I'm sure I forgot.

Just before I bought the boat the engine was pulled. A new oil pan was installed along with a new high flow oil pump. Everything else checked out ok. I left the engine because it is absolutely turn key. pump the throttle twice and turn the key and it fires right up. When I took it out over the weekend I spun my old 23" prop @ 5,000 RPM. It probably needs a 24-25" to kick the RPM down.

What's it need?
Stereo. It already has the holes cut so it's a must at this point.
Steering. It's mechanical now. works ok, but I've been looking to upgrade to hydraulic. I have managed to round up a few parts, but no ram yet which is the big item.

Considering I'm in no rush to sell the stereo and steering will probably be done by the time it goes anywhere.

Just Say N20
03-24-2009, 10:38 AM
gcarter can probably shed some accuracy at this question. I would have to say from everything I read and saw in pictures, his was about as close to perfect as possible, and I believe back when he sold his (in a better market) he was asking $18,500.

VetteLT193
03-24-2009, 10:59 AM
gcarter can probably shed some accuracy at this question. I would have to say from everything I read and saw in pictures, his was about as close to perfect as possible, and I believe back when he sold his (in a better market) he was asking $18,500.

I know... I should have just bought his boat. I have more than that into mine. I'm sure he had more than that into his too.

I was thinking $15,500 selling price.

CHACHI
03-24-2009, 11:14 AM
My '87 sold for that in '06

Ken

handfulz28
03-24-2009, 11:34 AM
What do you really want the answer to?

What's it "worth"? (based on what you put into it...)

What's the highest someone will offer (in this "market")?

What should you be willing to let it go for?

3 different numbers there.

The VA LE recently sold immediately for $7500. Running, decent original condition.

There's the guy in Sarasota that's been asking $12k for a year and won't let it go for less than $10k according to him. Supposed to be a good running all original with a little TLC needed.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of offers via PM.

HOWARD O
03-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Keep the Donzi and deal with the lack of space. I've got 3 kids, 4, 11 and 15. The oldest is 225+ too. If they all want to squeeze in and go out for a ride, so be it. If not, tough cookies. I've spent the last 6 years with various sized boats trying to make everyone happy. Now I'm happy, the others can deal with it.

And if you believe that line of crap, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell ya! Actually, the real truth is that I already have a 23' Wellcraft "family" boat that I'm supposed to sell now that I've bought the Donzi. My wife will soon realize how "family oriented" the Donzi is and she'll want me to fix up and keep the Wellcraft. But the Wellcraft stays on the trailer or tied to the dock, while the Donzi has it's rightful place on the lift. :yes:

You have 2 small kids, the Minx has plenty of room for all of them. If you sell it, you'll be always regretful about it and, perhaps in the back of your mind, spiteful that you had to sell it. I had a beautiful 24' Albemarle that I had to sell when our youngest boy was born and I've always regretted it because I knew it was so expensive that I wouldn't see another boat like that for a long, long time.

Keep the Donzi, save and get a family boat. :yes:

CHACHI
03-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Two kids, talk to Tim Morris, he went out and bought a Minx in 1987 because of his kids.

Ken

Tim Morris
03-24-2009, 01:11 PM
A long time ago, and once upon a time I was in a similar but not the same situation.

Different, because I had a fully restored '65 16' at the time. Same, because
the kids were 3 and 1.

I thought the kids might roll out the back (I liked to launch kinda hard) with
the lack of freeboard.

So I bought a Minx. Problem solved. Then, the kids got BIG, Like Howard,
what next? I bought a pontoon boat.

So, we have decisions to make down at the dock. All those keen on fishing
beer drinking, listening to tunes and cruising the shoreline - turn left.
All those keen on goin' fast, eating bugs and makin' noise - turn right.

VetteLT193
03-24-2009, 01:25 PM
The problem isn't the boating aspect, it's the getting out to go boating aspect. I feel safe with the kids on the Minx... But:

It means I'm by myself dealing with the boat and trailer at the ramp. It is a stressful PITA. I have another option of rack storing the boat, but I tried it for 2 weeks and it was filthy dirty. It was bad enough to where I felt like I had to wash the boat before and after each run.

I figure a bigger boat, plus at least one extra person to help me with it means I can negotiate the ramp 100 times better.

Cuda
03-24-2009, 02:58 PM
The problem isn't the boating aspect, it's the getting out to go boating aspect. I feel safe with the kids on the Minx... But:
It means I'm by myself dealing with the boat and trailer at the ramp. It is a stressful PITA. I have another option of rack storing the boat, but I tried it for 2 weeks and it was filthy dirty. It was bad enough to where I felt like I had to wash the boat before and after each run.
I figure a bigger boat, plus at least one extra person to help me with it means I can negotiate the ramp 100 times better.

Boats are aways bigger aound the docks, launching, storing, and fueling. All boats are prone to water shrinkage. I took the Minx out a lot more than my 302 Formula, because it was a lot less work, and we didn't need a 30 footer on the river. You'll kick yourself later if you sell it. It's not like you can go to a Donzi dealer and order a new Minx,

gcarter
03-24-2009, 03:29 PM
I vote for a used, inexpensive 'toon boat....in addition to the Minx.
I bet around here, there're a bunch of them available now.

VetteLT193
03-24-2009, 04:22 PM
I vote for a used, inexpensive 'toon boat....in addition to the Minx.
I bet around here, there're a bunch of them available now.

and my wife loves those things. Ooof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou3AHu4ILTw

gcarter
03-24-2009, 04:26 PM
and my wife loves those things. Ooof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou3AHu4ILTw

There's a time and place for everything.