PDA

View Full Version : Trim pump

Jraysray
03-22-2009, 09:25 PM
On the trailer up down no problem. Once moderately underway its goes up but VERY slow to drop. Somtimes I have to slow way down to get it to move. Ideas?? Good day on the water though.

Air 22
03-22-2009, 10:07 PM
On the trailer up down no problem. Once moderately underway its goes up but VERY slow to drop. Somtimes I have to slow way down to get it to move. Ideas?? Good day on the water though.

On the trailer the pump isnt under the same load forces as underway...
do u have any leaks? Is the fluid reservoir @ the full line? how old is the pump? It may be tired and or have a leaky seal(s) or lines...double ck all ur fittings....btw what type of drive Merc alpha/bravo?

good luck..hope u find the problem...:wink:

farmer tx
03-22-2009, 11:43 PM
J, You don't think it could be the ornament in your avatar slowing it down? Or is she removed before flight?:worthy:

BlownCrewCab
03-23-2009, 08:53 AM
Check the Ground wire(s) if it can't carry enough load through a bad ground thats the same symptoms, No load up/down no problem. with a load hardly moves at all..

BigGrizzly
03-23-2009, 09:22 AM
Are the hydraulic lines reversed. Pressure is different for up and down. If the drive dropps when running then the check valve is leaking.

Jraysray
03-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Are the hydraulic lines reversed. Pressure is different for up and down. If the drive dropps when running then the check valve is leaking.

Grizz,
Thats got to be the golden ticket. Had the pump replaced and it is reversed. Up is down and down is up. Never took it back though because I didnt want to go without my boat for the rest of the season.

Once I switch the lines how do I bleed the system?

Farmer,
Thats funny chit there man. Not going into the story behind the Avatar though :biggrin.::biggrin.:

MOP
03-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Just switch the lines at the pump that will fix the reversed workings, you have one of two things. Either one of the check valves in the pump is weeping down or one of the rams piston check valve is screwing up, if it is in a ram it could be a tiny bit of debris or a broken spring. The ram s have several ball checks in each ram usually six three relieve pressure in one direction and three in the other. The tiny bit of debris also applies to the pump, one thing you can try is to get your hands on an old set of hoses. Use the bottom of a gallon jug put the lines into the jug along with enough fluid to keep the ends immersed. Then cycle the pump up/down a bunch of times, with no load it shoves the oil through pretty fast. This many times will clear a valve and save having to tear it down or replace it. If that does not work tear into it, it is a bit messy but fairly simple inside.

Phil

BigGrizzly
03-23-2009, 05:20 PM
Kike mop said switch the lines and cycle up an down 4 or 5 times wait 10 minutes and do it again.

brwn234
03-26-2009, 11:28 PM
My drive kept leaking down like that too. I isolated the problem to my pump. First is raised the drive all the way. Supported it so it wouldnt fall, you can use blocks of wood or a strap/rope through the transom eyes. Then I removed both hoses and joined them with a brass coupler. It's 3/8" inverted flare, I think. I got it from an auto parts store in the section with all the brake line fittings. With the two hoses joined together you can remove the support from the drive. If it falls again the problem is in the rams. If it stays up just fine the problem is in the pump. I isolated mine to the valve body in the pump. One of the seats for a check valve wore unevenly causing it to bypass the ball and leak down. Now I just gotta find the money to replace it.

MOP
03-27-2009, 08:01 AM
I run the lines into a jug to try to flush out any debris let the fluid run free of any pressure and if it passes a bit of debris it does not get pushed back into the other circuit.

Phil

BigGrizzly
03-27-2009, 08:49 AM
I did forget to mention Always do what Phil said