PDA

View Full Version : 1428 miles later. . .

Just Say N20
03-22-2009, 09:12 PM
The Minty Green Donzi is in Michigan. Almost wasn't. I'm suffer from the "disease" as much as most, and as I sat there, looking over this boat, I came very close to not buying it.

It was like the story of the guy who went to look at Sofa King's. When I sold the Reflexx, I brought it home, cleaned it up to spectacular, vacuumed it just because, noticed one light was out on the trailer so I ended up re-wiring the trailer the day before the guy came to pick it up, because I have pride in my stuff.

Not the case here. I show up at his house, then follow him another bit to a barn where it is stored. At least it was covered. Bugs/tar specs all over the front of the boat. The boat is filthy, leaves in the cockpit, bilge is filthy and rust everywhere. Paint has been touched up on the deck and doesn't match. He told me he's sure some polishing will bring back the color. Cracks in the fiberglass (not gelcoaot) around the engine hatch. When they replaced the engine the cut out a section in the middle of the back seat. Looks like junior wasn't too good with a saw, and why bother to seal the edge of the cut plywood, so the entire back seat bottom is all spongy. New engine came with new gauges, and whoever did the installation chose to install the new gauges on a background of green acrylic. Ditto for the throttle shifter.

He "sold" me on the performance of the boat with one of Griz's magic stainless props, but then when I got there told me it wasn't part of the sale. I asked him 4 times for the prop, and he said he just couldn't do it. He didn't even give me the battery.

He told me twice, "I trust you, just take the prop and sent me the money for it." It didn't even dawn on me for a couple hundred miles, that I could have taken it, and just not paid him. He sold me on the boat's performance with that prop, it should have come with the boat. But, I couldn't do that. In my mind, it's wrong.

I stood there, looking at all this mess, and was thinking to myself, I should just write off the 1,400 miles, and leave this thing here.

I'm not really sure why I didn't, and I'm thinking I might not have made a good decision. I can look through a LOT (not as much as gcarter, and some others), but damn. . .

At least it trailered well, except that the lights don't work.

Here's some pictures.

Magnum and Donzi in front of my brother's home in Rochester, NY

Donzi on trailer is in front of Earls home.

When I bought my other two Donzis, it was a joyful experience. I have a knot in my stomach on this one. I'll bring it back to good shape, because it should be brought back.

And Mattyboy, it turns out this is hull 406, not 409.

Thanks for reading the whining ramblings of a tired guy. No pity party, just need to see things in the sunshine of a new day, from a well rested perspective.

Carl C
03-22-2009, 09:27 PM
She'll need some tlc....and some paint remover for the carb. I hope you can undo the damage and bring it back.

Ghost
03-22-2009, 09:40 PM
I hate people like that. What a jerk. Good news is, short of the cost of a prop, your whole life is better because you're not that sort of person.

Definitely some work, but it's a cool old boat (like the color scheme), and you'll bring her back.

Tony
03-22-2009, 10:05 PM
Congratulations!

I really like the color, (the "grumble" green, like the interior, not so much the lime) and my guess is that when you're done with this boat it will look awesome.

The interior looks to be in great shape, and you cannot go wrong with almost any Volvo outdrive.

Good luck, and keep us posted...

:beer:

Just Say N20
03-22-2009, 10:28 PM
Congratulations!

I really like the color, (the "grumble" green, like the interior, not so much the lime) and my guess is that when you're done with this boat it will look awesome.

The interior looks to be in great shape, and you cannot go wrong with almost any Volvo outdrive.

Good luck, and keep us posted...

Thanks Tony. Positive reinforcement. Its a good thing. I do like the 290 Volvo outdrive a lot. I probably couldn't put enough horsepower to it to break it without going WAY off the deep end.

The lime green lighter color. I still don't know how I would describe it. Yellow with a hint of minty green freshness?

Just Say N20
03-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Anyone has a "magic" way to remove bottom paint? I have never tried to take it down to the paint. It would scrub some off with a sponge, and a stiff brush would also take it off, but not down to the paint.

I was thinking it might just be best to wet sand, but would like to hear ideas first.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Speed Racer
03-22-2009, 11:23 PM
First off, Sorry about the long drive. Your story sorta mirrors mine.
I am here to make you feel better about your new purchase!!

Pics here..

http://picasaweb.google.com/audiogg

My 300 mile drive brought me a vintage Donzi that was.. for the most part.. Junk.

It is now, really close to being done. Today was drilling holes in the deck and mounting deck hardware.. Really a nice feeling after so much work.

I did not get the prop, or the carb. Little stuff in the big picture... It has been a big project, and a great journey..

You are now on yours... enjoy every bit of it. Bring that old boat back to life, and make it your own.

Cheers!

GG

Conquistador_del_mar
03-22-2009, 11:25 PM
Anyone has a "magic" way to remove bottom paint? I have never tried to take it down to the paint. It would scrub some off with a sponge, and a stiff brush would also take it off, but not down to the paint.

I was thinking it might just be best to wet sand, but would like to hear ideas first.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Bill,
The boat will be awesome after you get done with restoring it. You don't see that color combination very often - highly cool. If you want the antifoul taken off quickly to leave you with bringing it back, you might check into having it soda blasted. Depending on how much sanding was done before the antifoul was applied will determine how much work will be needed to bring the gloss back by then wet sanding to about 1000 grit and then compounding it from there. This is hard work if the hull is not turned over, but it can be done. I look forward to seeing your progress. Don't be discouraged - light is always at the end of what might seem like an insurmountable project. Another Bill

Speed Racer
03-22-2009, 11:26 PM
P.S...

Do me a HUGE favor, and measure the location of your Donzi script ...

If you could give me the place where the 'D' in Donzi starts, say down from the rub rail and forward from the transom, that would be a huge help for my 16.
Thanks,
GG

MDonziM
03-23-2009, 08:21 AM

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Bill,
Glad to see you stuck with it. The boat needs attention and it was not coming from the previous owner. My best performance come from an "ear" shaped chopper prop but that was a long time ago. I have 12 years of fond memories on that 16... If you need or want any documentation I have a lot. Now for your first little setback... the imron paint does not extend far below the waterline so when you remove the antifouling paint you will encounter the original gel which does not resemble the imron. Maby consider repainting the entire bottom below the stripe.

Good luck, cant wait to see progress pics. - Marshall

Sweet Cheekz
03-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Congrats on the new project You can bring right back to where you want it and it will be a sweet ride
Speedracer Awesome restoration Who did all that work for you? What year is your boat? I will post pics soon of mine and we can compare which one started out as a bigger pile of junk. NK

txtaz
03-23-2009, 08:39 AM
It was like the story of the guy who went to look at Sofa King's.

I feel your pain. Round 2 with Sofa King may come this week. At least I only have a 140 mile drive. I'm waffleing about making the call, trying to figure out the best way to make it less painful.

In the end we should start our own "Donzi rescue" program and then file for a bailout.

I keep telling myself that once I get it and delouse it, I can start building it to make it mine. The great thing about projects is the pride in ownership of building it. Plus the stories will stay around forever and are great at events.

Da Taz<---Still shundering. Yes getting a buddy to pick up the boat did cross my mind, but I could not do that to a friend.

BigGrizzly
03-23-2009, 08:47 AM
N20, The boat has real potential. I have the 290 on my Corsican, it is stronger than the Bravo. I put a Hydromotive nose cone on it , not for speed but handling it is a good combo. The drive is a clean neat addition. I am sorry about the prop issue, but I do keep them in stock if you decide to go that route. As for the antifouling paint I had the same issue. I ended up sanding it( was sanded for the anti fouling) then used Pettits poly poxy. then found out it is real epoxy and worked well and filled all the voids. It was supose to yellow , but havn't seen it yet. Its not real shiny, but is still there after 15 years.

Just Say N20
03-23-2009, 08:59 AM
Bill,
Glad to see you stuck with it. The boat needs attention and it was not coming from the previous owner. My best performance come from an "ear" shaped chopper prop but that was a long time ago. I have 12 years of fond memories on that 16... If you need or want any documentation I have a lot. Now for your first little setback... the imron paint does not extend far below the waterline so when you remove the antifouling paint you will encounter the original gel which does not resemble the imron. Maby consider repainting the entire bottom below the stripe.

Good luck, cant wait to see progress pics. - Marshall

Not getting good attention from the previous owner! True Dat!!!

I would love to talk real time about when you owned the boat, so I have an accurate knowledge of what was really done. I will PM you with my cell number.

I wondered about the bottom paint "hiding" something. I think I might have just bought a major money pit. I sense the more I take apart, the more I'm going to find wrong. :troll:

If you could give me the place where the 'D' in Donzi starts, say down from the rub rail and forward from the transom, that would be a huge help for my 16.

I will measure tonight and post the information. This boat was painted, so there is the possibility that they aren't in the original location, but I will let you know where they currently are.

I feel your pain. Round 2 with Sofa King may come this week. At least I only have a 140 mile drive. I'm waffleing about making the call, trying to figure out the best way to make it less painful.

In the end we should start our own "Donzi rescue" program and then file for a bailout.

I keep telling myself that once I get it and delouse it, I can start building it to make it mine. The great thing about projects is the pride in ownership of building it. Plus the stories will stay around forever and are great at events.

He all but accuses you of crashing his truck into something, and you still are considering dealing with him? You be a brave guy! You must have really liked the boat.

Donzi Rescue = Bailout $$. I doubt either of us are handout type guys, but its a fun idea.

There is tremendous pride in the completed "rescue." However, after seeing the degree to which people on this board pursue excellence, I'm almost hesitant to make public what I might do. Look at del Mar's amazing restoration. Same with bobwpe; better than new! Same with Speed Racer. The bar is pretty darn HIGH!

BigGrizzly
03-23-2009, 09:18 AM
Just remember the fore mentioned people are just men with a mission. My understanding is bobwpe's boat was a horror but he stuck with it and look at it now. They all had a mission. Well Del Mar's history like Pearson is perfection. GREAT luck, you will make it happen.:yes:

MDonziM
03-23-2009, 09:25 AM
Bill,
I'm out of town til the end of the month so I might not get back to you right away. The entire volvo engine/drive, instruments, fwc were installed new in early 87'. The back and bottom of the back seat was reinforsed at that time to support the heat exchanger and access hatch. Dont know why the hatch looks so bad now...and in 87' the new instruments were put into the original dash panel.(no green plastic) I am surprised looking at the pic of the transom and drive. Looks like the imron goes all the way down in that shot but I'm pretty sure thats not the case.
I also had a nose cone on the drive but maby the guy wanted to keep it with his prop.

Marshall

MDonziM
03-23-2009, 09:30 AM
Not getting good attention from the previous owner! True Dat!!!

I would love to talk real time about when you owned the boat, so I have an accurate knowledge of what was really done. I will PM you with my cell number.

I wondered about the bottom paint "hiding" something. I think I might have just bought a major money pit. I sense the more I take apart, the more I'm going to find wrong. :troll:

I will measure tonight and post the information. This boat was painted, so there is the possibility that they aren't in the original location, but I will let you know where they currently are.

He all but accuses you of crashing his truck into something, and you still are considering dealing with him? You be a brave guy! You must have really liked the boat.

Donzi Rescue = Bailout $$. I doubt either of us are handout type guys, but its a fun idea.

There is tremendous pride in the completed "rescue." However, after seeing the degree to which people on this board pursue excellence, I'm almost hesitant to make public what I might do. Look at del Mar's amazing restoration. Same with bobwpe; better than new! Same with Speed Racer. The bar is pretty darn HIGH!

I do remember keeping the original screw holes on the donzi marine emblems when the boat was painted but who knows now.

bobwpe
03-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Nice project. It looks like you have a lot of the original hardware which is a big plus. As you know, this site will not only be one of your best resources, it will also make the project much more enjoyable.

Good luck and keep the pics coming.

Bob

Just Say N20
03-23-2009, 01:00 PM
First off, Sorry about the long drive. Your story sorta mirrors mine.
I am here to make you feel better about your new purchase!!

Pics here..

http://picasaweb.google.com/audiogg

My 300 mile drive brought me a vintage Donzi that was.. for the most part.. Junk.

It is now, really close to being done. Today was drilling holes in the deck and mounting deck hardware.. Really a nice feeling after so much work.

I did not get the prop, or the carb. Little stuff in the big picture... It has been a big project, and a great journey..

You are now on yours... enjoy every bit of it. Bring that old boat back to life, and make it your own.

Cheers!

GG

Holy Crap Garry! I just looked a your pictures. Yikes! I will keep my mouth shut. You should get a medal for what you have done with that boat.

I'm guessing you didn't buy it with the intent to use it right away. That was kind of my hope.

I will be anxious to see YOURS when it is done.

Bill

Just Say N20
03-23-2009, 09:25 PM
MDonziM,
I took some pictures of the Donzi Script. It looks like the top of the D is 1/2" from the corner where the hull side flares out.

And on the port side, the script goes stops 2" from the corner at the transom.

On the starboard side, it starts 2-1/4" from the corner at the transom.

You can't see them both at once, so no one would notice the 1/4" difference.

Also, I found some orange. 45 minutes of wet sanding through a small section of bottom paint did a couple of things. 1. I'm for sure not going to remove the rest of it that way. :eek: I'm going to try and find someone who can blast it off with Walnut shells, or whatever they use instead of sand. 2. I looked at the transom, and it looks like someone painted on a matching yellow with a brush. Looks fine from 20' on the trailer, and is in the water when not on the trailer.

For some reason, when I heard people say this year didn't have wood under the deck to rot, they had PVC pipe, I always envisioned like a 3" PVC pipe cut in 1/2 length wise, and then glassed to the under side of the deck. I didn't expect this.

The fuel tank looks to be in good shape. They didn't foam it in.

It looks like they cut off the end of the under deck ski locker, and then put it back together.

MDonziM
03-24-2009, 09:48 AM
MDonziM,
I took some pictures of the Donzi Script. It looks like the top of the D is 1/2" from the corner where the hull side flares out.

And on the port side, the script goes stops 2" from the corner at the transom.

On the starboard side, it starts 2-1/4" from the corner at the transom.

You can't see them both at once, so no one would notice the 1/4" difference.

Also, I found some orange. 45 minutes of wet sanding through a small section of bottom paint did a couple of things. 1. I'm for sure not going to remove the rest of it that way. :eek: I'm going to try and find someone who can blast it off with Walnut shells, or whatever they use instead of sand. 2. I looked at the transom, and it looks like someone painted on a matching yellow with a brush. Looks fine from 20' on the trailer, and is in the water when not on the trailer.

For some reason, when I heard people say this year didn't have wood under the deck to rot, they had PVC pipe, I always envisioned like a 3" PVC pipe cut in 1/2 length wise, and then glassed to the under side of the deck. I didn't expect this.

The fuel tank looks to be in good shape. They didn't foam it in.

It looks like they cut off the end of the under deck ski locker, and then put it back together.

Bill,

I think the orange color was the first coat of imron primer. The beige yellow/ green spot appears to me to be the original gel. The guy we bought the boat from in 1980 kept it in salt water in CT so the bottom was painted with antifouling paint. I also kept the boat in the water for the summer so when it was repainted it didnt seem worth it to imron the entire boat and then paint the bottom over with antifouling again.
I remember the pvc tubes under the deck so they have been there a long time. The front deck would flex if you walked up there but they would not appear to add any strength. Dont know where they came from... I also have no idea about the ski locker being cut. I can only guess that the tank was replaced. Is there still a tank guage under the little glass view hole in the floor?

MDonziM
03-24-2009, 09:53 AM
I looked at your picture of the gas tank, that was definitely replaced.

gcarter
03-24-2009, 10:02 AM
I paid WAAAAAY too much for the Minx when I bought it, no trailer, engine full of salt water, Alpha gimbal housing had holes in it, no wiring under dash, tank was nearly corroded through.
But correcting all that is FUNNNNNNN!

Just Say N20
03-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Bill,

Is there still a tank guage under the little glass view hole in the floor?

Yes, there is a glass viewing port, but it doesn't appear to look at anything. It most certainly doesn't look at a gauge. There is just metal from the top of the tank showing.

I believe they cut the end off the ski locker, when they replaced the tank.

I paid WAAAAAY too much for the Minx when I bought it, no trailer, engine full of salt water, Alpha gimbal housing had holes in it, no wiring under dash, tank was nearly corroded through.
But correcting all that is FUNNNNNNN!

After working on it last night, there is a LOT of cleaning to do, but it appears that mechanically things look good. I haven't started it yet. Several people posted in the original ad for this boat last fall that it ran well.

I do have a question about the outdrive. There is a water pipe inside the boat that comes up from the transom. It connects to a rubber hose that goes to the intake side of the crank driven water pump on the front of the engine. This engine has closed loop cooling eating up a lot of space in the already pretty well packed engine compartment. I will ONLY be boating with this in fresh water, is there any good reason to remove it?

Also, the previous owner told me that to winterize the boat, he had disconnected the rubber hose from the metal pipe coming from the outdrive, and stuck the hose in the end of the rubber hose, and run the engine that way. In an Alpha one, that would be a big no-no, as the impeller in the outdrive would be running dry. Wouldn't running the engine with the Volvo 290 outdrive dry, also hurt its impeller?

Kirbyvv
03-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Bill, I don't have any first hand info, but I've seen the boat at all the Lake George Donzi events over the last few years and it always seemed to be running well. Earl did get cited for noise once. If I remember it was 94 dbl, so depending on where you boat take that into consideration.

Just Say N20
03-24-2009, 11:30 AM
Earl did get cited for noise once. If I remember it was 94 dbl, so depending on where you boat take that into consideration.

He told me that. He said the idle was a little high, and by running the rpms down, the dbl dropped to 90 and he was then legal.

Here's a helpful little chart, courtesy of CPPerformance. http://www.cpperformance.com/TechTips/state_noise_laws.htm

Tony
03-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Wouldn't running the engine with the Volvo 290 outdrive dry, also hurt its impeller?

There are no impellers in Volvo outdrives...

Just Say N20
03-24-2009, 11:42 AM
There are no impellers in Volvo outdrives...

I had thought this was the case, but zipped to a Volvo website, and saw impeller kits for the AQ290 outdrive. Now I'm confused. So what's new.

HOWARD O
03-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Another old Donzi in a better, non-abusive home is always a good thing. Glad you made the decision to save it. :yes:

Just Say N20
03-24-2009, 03:59 PM
Looking at the close up pictures of the Donzi Script, really shows how yucky (a technical term meaning it looks like they have gone through the dog a few times) they are.

Maybe for Christmas, or Father's Day, I can get a nice new pair. :biggrin:

Speed Racer
03-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks a TON for the close up shots. I will slap my new one's on tonight!!

I am not sure about the rail! Stared at it last night for about 30 minutes then went and got a beer and made dinner :rolleyes:

Newest shots.. I think about 2 or 3 weeks away from deck on and splash!

http://picasaweb.google.com/audiogg/GettingCloserEngineRunsCockpitComingTogether#

BigGrizzly
03-24-2009, 05:15 PM
That impeller kit goes to the raw water pump which was origionally belt driven on Volvo enginwes. As for removing the closed cooling system I would not do it. If you run 50/50 antifreeze in it it will keep the water pump in good shape and keep the block from rusting. The pluses far out weigh the crowded inside of the engine compartment. Besides the only reason for raising the hatch is to show your engine not fix it. But I am pro closed cooling system.

Audiofn
03-24-2009, 06:38 PM
I had the same thing happen to me looking at a 16. My brother and I drove 16 hours down to take a look at a boat and it was junk. There was NOTHING worth looking at. Drive was broken, cracks through the bottom of the boat, it was bad. I had specifically asked the guy about things like cracks and locations of cracks. I was so pissed at the guy it was not funny. When I got home there was one around the corner from my house. Turned out to be the one I got.......:rolleyes::rolleyes:

gcarter
03-24-2009, 06:43 PM
That impeller kit goes to the raw water pump which was origionally belt driven on Volvo enginwes. As for removing the closed cooling system I would not do it. If you run 50/50 antifreeze in it it will keep the water pump in good shape and keep the block from rusting. The pluses far out weigh the crowded inside of the engine compartment. Besides the only reason for raising the hatch is to show your engine not fix it. But I am pro closed cooling system.

Listen to Randy.

Just Say N20
03-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Listen to Randy.

Thank you for the input. That is why I asked. :biggrin: To learn from the Keepers of the Sacred Donzi Knowledge.

More interesting finds.

The entire bottom of the back seat is shot. Cracks along the front and back. Almost like my own little trampoline.

I'm hoping this is from oil spilled during a change, rather than a leak.

-or-

I found a stringer that had been cut through, but not sealed. At least this wood seemed A-OK.

BigGrizzly
03-25-2009, 09:22 AM
NO2, A good and smart friend once said that encapsulated stringers will get water in but will not let it out and it will then soften and rot in a mildew environment. He told me that gel coat is porous and should be painted, with a paint like bilge coat. He used his old ELCO as an example that old wood boat was solid as a rock.his newer fiberglass to him had soft stuff. Here is what I know. When removing the drive of the Criterion the hole was not what I would call well done. That transom is hard. This doesn't mean he is correct just a note. Yours are hard so you are fine. as for the oil well maybe he was lubricating the bilge:eek::eek::eek:. To make you feel better I have seen boats that look a lot better at delivery that were far worse then yours when looked at closely. at least he didn't hide it. I just started remembering that boat when I saw it. He told me that all the other props he had, including some bronze prop were pretty bad, I though he was just stroking me. I do remember the boat ran pretty well. I did not pay too much attention to him because I was having such a great time with Kirby and Jay, they are cool.:yes: Just remember I said that boat has great potential and I know you will make it right. People like you will keep another Donzi out of the boat junk yard.

DON N.
03-25-2009, 11:22 AM
I would rather see contructive criticism on how to fix your donzi then complaining how bad another member took care of his boat. That boat is a good running boat.

Air 22
03-25-2009, 11:39 AM
N2O...Clean that area up reeeeeeally good...degreaser's, scrub brush some elbow grease and a few Magic Eraser's will do wonder's:yes:

As for the glass damage..everything is speculation until u have a reputable fiberglass shop take a look @ it..then you have a better idea of its condition.:wink:
Just my 2cents...been there done that...:eek::doh::nilly::smash:

Just Say N20
03-25-2009, 03:02 PM
I would rather see constructive criticism on how to fix your DONZI then complaining how bad another member took care of his boat. That boat is a good running boat.

Agreed.

Probably a reaction based on it being so far outside of my thought process. Not even saying I'm right, and someone else is wrong. It was a reaction to something foreign to me; like finding out someone routinely used their kitchen sink as a urinal. :eek: Things that make you go "What?!"

New topic.

So, there is not an impeller in the Volvo 290 outdrive. Just making sure that I will not hurt anything by hooking a hose up to the input side of the water pump, and running the engine. Doing so will not cause any harm to the outdrive. I like being able to do that much better than messing with earmuffs.

Just Say N20
03-25-2009, 03:08 PM
N2O...Clean that area up reeeeeeally good...degreaser's, scrub brush some elbow grease and a few Magic Eraser's will do wonder's:yes:

Thanks for the Magic Eraser tip. I had never heard of that.