PDA

View Full Version : 22 Donzi deck transfer pics...$uck, was that heavy

Lenny
03-21-2009, 11:55 PM
Actually, I checked....I made a mistake. They vary from 650 to 700.
Sorry.

Ted, I think it was about 5 tons :eek: , far heavier than I thought. No wonder the 22's are slower than the 18's. ;)

Anyways, here are a few pics. We had a blast. I rounded up a few friends in Vancouver to assist us. Good thing. Those decks are HEAVY :yes: The amount of coring is unbelievable. It is everywhere. Hull thicknes surprised me as well. ... as in VERY thick... 1808, 1708, vinylester throughout, nice job :yes:

Basically this is a barrel + resin deck (45 gallons/450 pounds and much more)

Here is a quick recap.

1) Arriving into Vancouver by Ferry. 2010 Winter Olypmic Ski hills are to the left and inland about 1 1/2 hours.

2) Drinking beer as soon as possible in an alley. :D

3) The boat

Lenny
03-21-2009, 11:57 PM
4) I made a deck support so that it would not sag and I can keep the original crown and camber prior to placing it into a new, fully supporting cradle. I measured the offsets prior to the lift for future duplication.

5) beginning lift with hoist and friends

6) out in the street

Lenny
03-22-2009, 12:00 AM
7) placing it into the 16' cube van

8) buttoning it down

9) Lenny (Lenny)16,X18,18LE, Formula Junior, and stuff...Glen Bishop (Yeller) 2004 Anniversary Edition, Mike Miller (Thriller) 22' 502 Blackhawk

Lenny
03-22-2009, 12:07 AM
And a few coming back home to Vancouver Island pics if none of you have ever seen the area.

10) our Cottage (low tide obviously) we go by this Island on the Ferry. There is no Ferry service to it. You need your own boat. (Hence the new aluminum on order) It is just off the Ferry Terminal. (the one with flagpole in center is the cottage) High tide is about 2' up the rock bank. We move 12-13' of water here everyday. This is probably a 6' tide when 12' is high.

11) a bad photo stitch of a fraction of the Gulf Islands just off the Ferry terminal from my camera (use the zoom on this, it is detailed)
Mutiply that view by 360 degrees and a million miles. It goes on forever like this. 700 Islands in the South alone.

12) our new Ferries (560' long)

13) Deck home safe and sound waiting for a place in the shop... now what's going to happen to it (in the future) ??? ....... ss :D

Lenny
03-22-2009, 12:37 AM
A couple more left on the "roll" :D

14) arriving into Victoria at the Ferry Terminal (into the sun)

15) Bill Gates's wifes sisters Island (they own two INDY Teams)Racing Go Cart track and all on it. It is about 2000' from our Cottage on our Island. We listen to the Karts in the summer during the day when Paul Allen and "friends" and other "dignitaries" visit.

16) looking due South, through a pass, whereas the snowy Mountains in the background are actually Port Angeles USA and LA California about 1200 miles South of that. Most of the Southern Gulf Islands are about 5 minutes from American Territory. From the Victoria Ferry Terminal, a USA Island/border is about 3-5 minutes by smallblock DONZI away.

RickR
03-22-2009, 06:55 AM
GOOD JOB! BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY :)

Last month I got the deck back on my 15 month (so far) "Other boat project. Gives you a good feeling when she comes back togeather.

What is the large square hole on the side of the cockpit for?

gcarter
03-22-2009, 07:27 AM
This is good news to know that the later AMH decks are better built.
As many here know, the earlier boats have only one layer of stranded bi-directional (0*-90*) material in the whole deck. They were also lighter and prone to severe cracking in the cockpit floor from beating on the stringers because of the lack of support.
Well done guys.
That was a clever setup. My cherry picker won't extend that far.
Good luck w/it Lenny.
And good luck to Yeller getting the new deck on.

gcarter
03-22-2009, 07:33 AM
I would also have to assume the CG of the newer decks is also at the dash because it looks like y'all were having to hold up the bow with the lift point aft of there.
Is that right?

gcarter
03-22-2009, 07:35 AM
Yeller, if you're planning to do some mechanical work while it's off, you'll really appreciate the room you have.:yes:

Mr X
03-22-2009, 07:38 AM
The holes are for the storage (combing) boxes

mattyboy
03-22-2009, 07:41 AM
I am impressed nice job, took us like 12 people to get a fully rigged benchseat hornet deck back on funny this is the reverse of my deck lifting swaray we took the bottom away you guys took the top away :)

Lenny
03-22-2009, 07:54 AM
I would also have to assume the CG of the newer decks is also at the dash because it looks like y'all were having to hold up the bow with the lift point aft of there.
Is that right?

I'd say JUST aft of the guage area George. And yes, it is built like a tank. Expensive fabrics/weaves throughout.

BigGrizzly
03-22-2009, 08:31 AM
All I can say is NEAT, and COOL I love the pictures.

chappy
03-22-2009, 09:42 AM
It's always cool to put members faces with their names.

You guys made hard work look easy in those photos.

hot shot
03-22-2009, 11:03 AM
WOW...... That is gods country.... you lucky dog... see you at aoth mick :worthy:

yeller
03-22-2009, 11:59 PM
It was a fun day. Was nice to finally meet Lenny. I have some pics I'll add later, but Lenny's pretty much show the whole thing.

The guy in the baseball cap (in pic 6) showed up in the early morning while I was prepping before anyone arrived. Don't even know who he is, he was just walking by. He stayed the whole day and was the last to leave. Wants to come back when I install the new one because he had such a good time. :biggrin.:

I wasn't sure if the engine hoist would do the trick but it worked great. If we had to, we could have done the removal with just 2 guys. One to pull the hoist back and one to balance the front of the deck. It was easier (and more fun) with the extra hands though. Lenny's idea of the brace was awesome. Without it, I would have been worried about excessive flex of the bow section.

George, I didn't install the new deck yet for the reason you mentioned. I have some work to do that could be done with the deck on, but it'll be a whole lot easier with it off. I also have some pics of the inside of the hull that you asked for. I'll get those off to you soon.

Lenny
03-23-2009, 12:15 AM
Glen, (Yeller) was the guy behind the cherry picker idea. He gets all the credit. It was effortless other than losing my beer about 4 times. Thank God the washrooms were close as well :D

Thanx Glen. lots of fun.

We have to get you to cross the Strait :yes: Mike and I will ride beside you :) ( after we cross it to come and get you ) :D

...baby steps, ... baby steps...

Keep in mind Glen., in 1980, when the "beer STRIKE" was on in B.C. I used to run to either Port Angeles or Roche Harbour to get US beer for my friends... :) That was in an 11' Boston Whaler with a 3 cyl 50 HP Merc. I am sure you will be fine in a 22 DONZI :yes:
Gotta lighten up a bit :D

Thanx for the fun and many beers, I owe you... Lenny

Lenny
03-23-2009, 12:32 AM
The guy in the baseball cap (in pic 6) showed up in the early morning while I was prepping before anyone arrived. Don't even know who he is, he was just walking by. He stayed the whole day and was the last to leave. Wants to come back when I install the new one because he had such a good time. :biggrin.:

Like I said to you. He is living in your basement suite now even tho you don't have one :D

Carl C
03-23-2009, 07:15 AM
Looking good, Yeller. You have some good friends there. Maybe now you can appreciate how much space is wasted up front;).

Speed Racer
03-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Beautiful Boat, Beautiful Country.. I usually just sorta see the Strait when doing Swiftsure...

Nice work guys!!
So, Question: Based on your photos, does it make sense for me to temporarily mount the lifting rings on my 16' with backing plates to the deck and then cherry pick it up and onto the hull??

Another question: How would my little 16 V-drive do up there? That water looks pretty smooth!!! Drive it up from Seattle, or tow/ ferry it up?

I am thinking we need a PNW Donzi meeting at some point.. How many of us are there in this rainy, windy, god forsaken place?

Trueser
03-23-2009, 01:33 PM
And why did we pull the deck off and stick it into a uhaul?

I had to ask...

zelatore
03-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Garry, I haven't got a lot of time up in the PNW, but in the San Juans you could easily get away with a 16 on a nice day. The whole area is actually pretty small and with so many islands crammed together there seems to be plenty of places to find smooth water.

The problem is you have to cross at least one stretch of 'big' water to get there, no mater what direction you come from. Unless maybe you take a ferry to the islands and launch there.

On a good day you could still run over from the mainland (Anacortes comes to mind as a close launch point), but if the wind comes up no way do you want to try crossing the straight in a 16. Or even a 22 for that mater.

It's like any place else - it's all about the weather. I've run out through the 'Gate before and had glass as far as I could see. Other days I've turned around while running a 50-footer.

zelatore
03-23-2009, 01:45 PM
BTW, if you put together a PNW Donzi gathering the week of 5/9-5/15, I'll stop by and visit. I'll be in a 33' Back Cove instead of the Donzi, but at least I'll make a good anchor-point to raft too even if I can't keep up. :boat:

Speed Racer
03-23-2009, 01:51 PM
We might have to find your nice, quiet anchorage, and do some really fast, really small circles around the 33!!

Hopefully it splashes in about 2 weeks, then onto the Opening day parade on 5-2.. If everything comes together.. Waiting now for new shaft, Chrome face plates for lifting rings, and Chrome helm mount.. I think that is about it!

Lenny
03-23-2009, 03:49 PM
Based on your photos, does it make sense for me to temporarily mount the lifting rings on my 16' with backing plates to the deck and then cherry pick it up and onto the hull??

Another question: How would my little 16 V-drive do up there? That water looks pretty smooth!!! Drive it up from Seattle, or tow/ ferry it up?

Yes, lifting rings a must BUT you have to support the center of the hull as well, otherwise the foredeck will want to crack at the "hinge" area, basically the narrowest area at the dash. I do not think you will successfully lift the 16 deck from the two lift rings without tying up the middle as well to keep the original shape so to speak. Other answer, I would tow the 16 up. Summertime the Strait of Juan de Fuca is pretty much good, but that is a long run in open water in the 16. You could launch at Anacortes and follow the ferry across. If you towed to Vancouver and then a Ferry over to the Island I think you would be a little happier. The Georgia Strait is calmer than the other one in most occasions with the river being the only "rough" part when leaving out of Vancouver. The sand heads (mouth of the river and the Georgia Strait) can be WILD.

MR MAGOO
03-23-2009, 05:45 PM

I had to ask...

Yeah, I wanna know too!

Schaf
03-23-2009, 06:34 PM

I had to ask...

yea. why did you remove the deck?????/

Lenny
03-23-2009, 09:06 PM
The deck was getting replaced anyway, instead of a grind/fill/fair and paint thingy.

yea. why did you remove the deck?????/

Lenny is doing something "funny" to this 22 deck in his next life...

;)

yeller
03-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Lenny, how did you get the deck out of the truck at your end?

I had to ask...
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56726

Lenny
03-24-2009, 01:23 AM
Tied it to a rock, put the ramp down, and slowly drove forward letting it ride on the battery box.

It was effortles, and flawless.

:)

Cradle is in the works. I bought the wood, just too busy to deal with that right now.

Thanx by the way :)

yeller
03-25-2009, 01:02 AM
Tied it to a rock, put the ramp down, and slowly drove forward letting it ride on the battery box.
LOL. Classic! That's pretty much how I got the new one off my boat trailer when I brought home.