PDA

View Full Version : 89' Donzi Ragazza 25

BethnKevin
03-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Hello everyone,

New members here.. We just bought a 1989 Donzi Ragazza 25 Cuddy Cabin for $2500. I think we stole it as long as it performs for us. We have recently replaced the starter, rebuilt the carburator, replaced the impeller on outdrive and bilge with flip switch. The boat has been setting up for approx. 1 - 1 1/2 years with gas in the tank. We have already put fuel treatment in the tank. Is there anything else we need to or can do prior to getting out on the water here in Florida? Also, we want this boat in tip top condition and are having trouble finding parts for this boat. Do any of you on here have an owners manual or service guide? Also we need to replace the interior as it is dry rotted and is missing the rear motor cover. Is there any place that sells this stuff for our boat? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

mikev
03-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Welcome I would run it on the hose make sure everything works ok then take it out for a short run to test everything. I would take a mechanically inclined friend not the wife and kids for the first run dont ask me how i know this ;) As far as interior parts I would find a local reputable upholstery guy and have them make it for you.

Last Tango
03-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Welcome Beth and Kevin!
I give a hearty +1 on Mikev's comments.
I will respond to the fuel thing. Your boat may have a fiberglas tank. If you can see through a deck port somewhere, check it out. Fiberglas tanks have real issues with gas that has even a small amount of ethanol. And a lot of gas had ethanol a year ago and up until about 4 months ago.
StaBil has a new product to help deal with that specifically. You stated you have added stuff, and I am hoping it was the marine specific StaBil. The red stuff is good in general for an already clean tank, but the green stuff is better for more of the things that ail an older boat, and the blue stuff is specific to ethanol treatment. Usually the biggest problem is that the inside of fiberglas gas tank does not react well with ethanol-laced gas. So be very careful in that area. Like Mikev said, run it on the hose in the driveway for a good while before you launch it. Goop from the tank can cause lots of different issues between the tank and the intake manifold.
And yet, in the driveway, the boat is stationary. In the water, it will shake up things that may only then come loose, such as gunk on the inside of the tank.

BethnKevin
03-25-2009, 08:07 AM
Yesterday I siphoned the tank and the gas was a greenish color with what seemed to be a foul odor. I was able to siphon about 21 gallons from the tank, thats all I could get out. I siphoned from the gas tank itself on top where the fuel enters the tank. After that I checked the fuel gauge and it says it is full, it didnt change. How might I fix that problem? I put approx 21 gallons of 93 Octane fuel back in, replaced my fuel water separator and purchased some StaBil for marine. Is that the one I need or is there another kind of Stabil? There is an offshore powerboat race in MS on April 4th and 5th and would like to take the family. Thank you all for the information you are giving.

Just Say N20
03-25-2009, 08:53 AM
Marine Stabile (blueish looking) is the correct one.

Fuel gauge senders have a resistance (ohm reading) of something like 33 when full, and 240 when empty.

IF you have access to where the fuel sender is screwed into the fuel tank, take a Sharpie, and draw a line on the sender and tank so you can easily line up the sender when you reinstall it. The 5 screws that hold most senders in look like they are equally spaced around the sender flange, but this is trickery! They aren't. They are close enough to drive you nuts trying to line them up if the sender isn't easily accessible.

Remove the 5 screws, take it out, connect an ohm meter and manually move the float/or arm and watch to see what happens to the meter readings.

If they are OK, leave the sender out, and take a reading at the back of the gauge while someone moves the float/arm back and forth, to see if the signal is making it to the gauge.

If that is good, and the gauge is grounded well, it would suggest the gauge itself is bad.

As a generalization, when I worked at a boat manufacturer in the parts department, we saw probably 10 senders be bad for every 1 gauge.

BethnKevin
03-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks N2O. I will try that on friday when I have a day off. Also, I was wondering what type of prop should I run. I have a tri-blade on it right now and do not know the pitch. I dont even really know what that means. I will figure it out soon. I found some shop service manuals by Clymer for the OMC Cobra 5.7L, so I am going to get one and start reading. Now if I can figure out my fresh water system. I have one, but it does not work. I have full days on my days off, slowly taking it apart and figuring stuff out. I find this forum to be very helpful and am thankful for all replies.

Last Tango
03-25-2009, 07:41 PM
As to your prop, look it over very carefully to see if there is a brand or model name and some sort of part number sequence stamped into it, often on the outside of the drum. If you find it, copy it down just as it reads and post it here. Folks will quickly tell you what you have and if it sounds like the right size for your boat.

Graniteslab
08-01-2009, 08:27 AM
i just retored my 25 ragazza i put a new 5.7 engine an juiced it up some to 300 + hp but my issue is rpm im only running 4200 an i have a 15 1/2 x 15 3 blade all. prop and before i buy stainless i wana know where i need to be in size. maybee ur size , speed , an rpm will help me out . thanks

Singapore Donzi
10-21-2010, 10:20 PM
Dear All. I am a brand new donzi owner! Wow, never thought I'd get a chance to own such a well known make of boat. I have just yesterday bought a 1988 Donzi Regazza 25, in reasonably good condition but requiring some TLC! Any help is always welcome and I've restored boats before so if I can assist anyone then feel free to ask.

pdaigle
01-21-2011, 02:26 PM
I know this post is old, but I have an owner's manually on cd which I can email for a 1989 23' Regazza

ralphieparker93
05-17-2011, 10:29 PM
pdaigle, I'm looking at the same old post, trying to research a 23 Ragazza. If you could email me that manual, that would be a great help. The forum will not allow me to message you. Thanks, Joe. ralphieparker93@comcast.net