PDA

View Full Version : 22c replacement dash panel, gauges and switches

txtaz
03-21-2009, 07:25 AM
Just planning ahead because as soon as I hand over a check for a 22c I will order stuff to replace the dash panel. The end goal will be to fill in the dash and angle cut holes for the gauges but as a stop gap I would replace the dash panel with a new one to mount the new gauges and switches. The dash is the mid '90's style with snap switches and teleflex gauges. You know the one that takes the entire middle dash.

I want to go with Livorsi gauges (Redline or Monster?). Standard stuff oil press, water temp tach etc. Definitely a GPS speedo. Please throw in advice on this. I would want a recall. As far as I know I need the gauge and then the gps kit.

Looking at the livorsi site it looks like their switches are what I had in the 18, Ohhhhhh Ted? Any help here? Also, do I need the switches mounting modules?

Ideas on places to get a replacement panel?

Thanks,

Da Taz<---I might be boating by next weekend. Can you hear me now RT? Might be another trip to the SofaKing (shudders)

txtaz
03-21-2009, 08:21 AM
Don, Any updates on your project?

Da Taz

roadtrip se
03-21-2009, 09:57 AM
Da Taz<---I might be boating by next weekend. Can you hear me now RT? Might be another trip to the SofaKing (shudders)

I never did acuse you of being a high wattage bulb, so good luck with that...
And please post Chapter 2 of your experiences with Bonzo, I am sure they will dwarf the first chapter.

There are plenty of nice dash panels on the market that can be utilized to show off a nice gauge set. Figure about a grand, depending on whether you install them or not.

Still plenty of time before AOTH...

txtaz
03-21-2009, 10:19 AM
I never did acuse you of being a high wattage bulb, so good luck with that...

Yep, I'm the fluorescent tube type with ballast and slow starting. :lightning

Now get constructive and answer the question. What are you running for GPS speedo and what are all the pieces and parts?

I'm starting to think the lead from the BB's is getting to you or your just looking for an in to jabb.

Da Taz<---Searching da web for cool boat stuff.

zelatore
03-21-2009, 10:23 AM
My plans for a custom dash have sloooooowed down. I know roughly what I'll be doing, but haven't gotten around to it.

I'm going to use engine turned stainless; I've found a supplier for that. And I'm going to go ahead and put in new gauges. I'll use Livorsi stuff, Monster series with Super rims and no bezels. The'll be polished s/s rims and either white or platinum faces; 5" tach and GPS speedo (if I can tie it to my current Garmin GPS) 2 5/8" electric water temp, oil pres, boost/vac, fuel pres, fuel level, & voltage. I'll also mount my SM mechanical drive/tab indicator here.

I'm going to move the stock ignition switch and 12v outlet off the main panel and put them on stb. side of the helm.

I'll also replace the stock rocker switches with Livorsi's military toggles and I'll have a local sign shop make me a set of small name plates for them since I can't easily get the new panel screen printed and I can't put the function on the switches as they're too small.

Lastly, I'll move the stock tab switches from the stb side of the dash up to the horizontal lip beside the windshield where they'll be easier to reach with my throttle hand.

I've played with several different layouts but haven't settled on a final. My brother is going to water-jet the sheet stock for me and asked if I would send the final layout as a CAD file so he's mailing me a copy of AutoCad to play with.

Of course, I've already done a nice S/S Zieger helm and I've mounted a Grant Mahogany banjo-style wheel on it.

The over-all plan is a resto-mod sort of theme. Vintage look with modern components. Eventually I'll also replace the throttle, but not this year and I haven't decided on what unit I'll use as most of them have a bit too much bling for my taste.

Remember......you asked!

harbormaster
03-21-2009, 05:03 PM
Call me about your livorsi stuff, I can hook you up for less cash than anyone else.

I used the monster size for the amall gauge and standard size for the large gauges. It workout nicely. Look at the polished megarim gauges.
I am a fan of the silver carbon fiber face as well.

I did not like the plastic flip switches, I used milspec stainless steel togggles. I then used powder coated bezels for all the switches and ignition switch.