PDA

View Full Version : Killer New Engine HP450

bugginout
03-20-2009, 11:55 PM
:rlol:Late December we where out at one of our local lakes having a great time. Checked under the hatch as we always do and saw steam coming from the air filter. This was not a good sign. We took the boat to So Cal Speed and Marine. We found out that we had needed a valve job and the bottom end had some scoring. We decided not to rebuild and go new. We found a killer deal on Offshore Only classifieds. Brand spankin new Mercury Racing 454 HP 450 from Victory Marine. We spoke with Dave at Mercury Racing and confirmed that the engine was blue printed, roller rockers, roller cam and balanced. Merc said it was probably really 465HP. We did not want to over stretch the drive so stayed with the 454. It was a replacement engine was produced till 2005. We jumped on it and WOW!! What a monster. We did our first trial run with it a week ago and picked 10 MPH and expect more when the engine is broken in and we have our prop "labbed". We are looking forward to our first trip of the summer. We are going to Laughlin the first weekend of April.

Mario is great at So Cal Speed and Marine. He is located in Moorpark Ca. He knows his stuff and is the kinda guy that doesn't sell you on stuff just to make a buck. Scott was kool too at Victory. He was honest and right on the money with the engine.

I can't say thank you enough to both So Cal Speed and Marine and Victory Marine. They made my summer. 09 Summer that is!!!

Donziweasel
03-21-2009, 06:43 AM
So, thats who bought it.

harbormaster
03-21-2009, 06:47 AM
Thanks for the kind words. I am happy the engine worked out well for you.

I was surprised more folks did not jump on this. I would tell people that we had found this new engine on the shelf in our warehouse and they thought I was feeding them a line of crap!!

Donziweasel
03-21-2009, 09:11 AM
I can't say thank you enough to both So Cal Speed and Marine and Victory Marine.

I don't know about So Cal, but Victory is top notch. I was just involved in a third party deal in a round about way with Victory. They took VERY good care of thier customer. Can't say enough good things about them.

Congrats on the engine, I was looking at the same engine, but you got there first. I should have been faster, but it all worked out in the end.

bugginout
03-21-2009, 12:58 PM
It's a funny story that I found the engine. I had told one of my buddy's who races his boat that I had engine problems. He had a engine he wanted to sell me that he had posted on Offshoreonly. It was a Merc 500 which was really to big for my boat. He suggested I look at Offshoreonly's classified to see if there was an engine there that better suited my needs. When I went home, I found the engine on Offshoreonly. Scott at Victory said there where several other peps asking about the engine. It was a kinda hard sell to the wife, but held my breath and just decided to go for it. I usually post on Offshoreonly but wanted to say kudos to Scott at Victory Marine and Mario at So Cal Speed and Marine. :yes: