PDA

View Full Version : I did not know..........

fogducker III
03-19-2009, 12:18 PM
I was reading an article from Australia about a 1967 16' Donzi that had been restored. The author of the article was pointing out some Donzi history, couple of things I had never heard:

During the 1967 Six-Day Arab-Israeli war, Israel loaded a large number of Donzi 16s with explosives and remote-piloted them into enemy targets.

And then there's the story of US president Lyndon Johnson, who took a couple of Donzi 16s off his Secret Service people and used them himself because he found they were faster than his Glastron - and to hell with security....

Cool eh?:biggrin.:

Kirbyvv
03-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Actually Lyndon Johnsons security Donzi's were barrelback 18's. there have been some photo's of them posted before around here somewhere.
I hadn't heard about the remote explosive donzi's....wild.

mattyboy
03-19-2009, 12:37 PM
all questions on past LGDCC trivia quizes

yes the 16 was used as an explosive drone

never heard that LBJ drove the donzi's all the pics he is at the wheel of his glastron with a 409 legend goes the SS needed the donzis to keep up with the President and you will find no one who will admit to being faster than the President ;)

they used a barrelback 18 and a 16 in his security detail

Speed Racer
03-19-2009, 03:01 PM
I think the one I am restoring was one of them...!:eek:

Planetwarmer
03-19-2009, 03:27 PM
I think the one I am restoring was one of them...!:eek:

You are restoring an exploded 16 drone! Wow, that sounds like a lot of work!

Ok, how do you know that one of the boats was in the presidential fleet? Would that have made that boat a former Naval vessel? You should name it Navy 1:rlol:

olredalert
03-20-2009, 08:40 AM
------Seems I remember the 18 SS DONZIs were V-drives.........Bill S

mattyboy
03-20-2009, 09:19 AM
yes Bill the barrelback was a 400 hm 427 side oiler v drive not sure how the 16 was configured

i do know the SS guy driving the 16 is huge you can see in one pic he is cramped into the drivers seat and his knees wont fit under the dash ;)