PDA

View Full Version : Onservations On My New Life-Line Vest

Carl C
03-18-2009, 08:44 AM
First off this is in no way an attack on the dealer who sold me this vest. They were polite, the price was good (compared to other dealers) and delivery was prompt. That said I have to say that I am disappointed in the vest. It does not fit well and it is stiff and uncomfortable and gives no support. The only things I like about it are the color and the leg straps. My snug fitting neoprene ski vest is more comfortable and gives good support to the gut. I am slim but that support still helps when running hard on rough water. That's about all I can say about it now. I'll try it and I will look good in it but I think I prefer the $40 neoprene over the $300 Life-Line. I also question that these things are each custom made. Although I did provide measurements my vest arrived in two weeks and simply says "M" for medium. It appears to have been pulled off a shelf. Maybe I could have leg straps put on the neo but I doubt it would come off anyway since it fits pretty snug.

handfulz28
03-18-2009, 09:03 AM
Don't feel bad, I didn't like my Lifeline either. If you paid less than $300, you didn't get a custom "fit" jacket, you got a Medium just like it says. I don't mean to bash the company; I support small business, it supports the niche...etc. But the best thing about them is the leg straps. There are some Stearn jackets that have leg straps.

DonziJon
03-18-2009, 09:14 AM
When I was in the Navy everyone on the ship had a Life Preserver with a big collar and leg straps. We were instructed that IF we had to abandon ship it would likely be a long way down to the water. Jump feet first and imediately cover your crotch with both hands, in case you hit something in the water. If the leg straps were not used and you jumped overboard the vest WOULD come right up over your head and come off. During training they showed us what would happen if you didn't do it right. John

PS: If your new vest is not comfortable, you probably won't wear it more than once...then it is of no use.

Carl C
03-18-2009, 09:18 AM
Don't feel bad, I didn't like my Lifeline either. If you paid less than $300, you didn't get a custom "fit" jacket, you got a Medium just like it says. I don't mean to bash the company; I support small business, it supports the niche...etc. But the best thing about them is the leg straps. There are some Stearn jackets that have leg straps.

I provided chest, waist, height and weight measurements. I was led to believe that the vest was custom made. It does not fit well.

Barry Eller
03-18-2009, 09:22 AM
I provided chest, waist, height and weight measurements. I was led to believe that the vest was custom made. It does not fit well.

I would send it back for a refund.:yes:

BlownCrewCab
03-18-2009, 09:46 AM
I would send it back for a refund.:yes:

At least ask the dealer if there was a mistake, I don't know the price of the "one size fits all M" but $300 seems like it shouldn't be off the shelf.

MOP
03-18-2009, 10:23 AM
I think there is a better way to design these things! I had one years back that the flotation was from the sides forward, the selling point of the shop that sold it to me was there was no way you could end up face down and drown. I did try it at the beach one day and true to his word no matter how hard I tried I could not stay face down when floating, the other point which I liked was it had a mesh back with two nylon straps going across. Being made the way it was it was very comfortable and I did not sweat like I do in my new one, I think these manufacturers need to think about a better designs that allow you to ride in comfort with face up flotation. Maybe it is all about style rather then function!!!!

fogducker III
03-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Other than the Cruiser Suit that I wear when it is really cold, I only wear the Mustang vest, I have the hydrostatic one, I have gone in once wearing this and it WORKS, even if you go in unconcious you end up on your back with your hear out of the water. they are light, very comfortable and they look good as well, they are not bulky and don't get in the way.

http://www.marine.com/mustang.php

Ghost
03-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Phil, you took the words right out of my mouth. Floatation on the front, and a neck support float behind the head, and voila. (Sounds a lot like a the keys to a standard lifejacket, right? So, let's see, make it fit nicely like a vest, no bulky foam in back to affect your fit in a seat and hold needless heat in, and add crotch straps for keeping it in place in a high speed impact. How much floatation do you really need? 15-25 lbs of lift? About 2-3 gallons of displaced water.

Seems like $50 retail would be plenty to turn a nice profit on such a thing.

And the ladies could have an even more effective model, "The Miracle Vest."

roadtrip se
03-18-2009, 12:12 PM
but I am not going to defend them, especially amongst those here who have never used one. I have since I entered the go-fast world in 1994.

Carl, two questions:

1) Did you order the impact material inserts? They can add a certain level of discomfort, but they do protect the rib cage from an impact.

2) Do you want to sell it at a fair price? I have two of these in yellow already from a previous boat, and while I have been thinking about going with red to match the 22, I haven't ordered them yet. I could use an extra.

Oh, and I had the ham and swiss on a heated wrap today. Tasty.

Carl C
03-18-2009, 12:45 PM
but I am not going to defend them, especially amongst those here who have never used one. I have since I entered the go-fast world in 1994.

Carl, two questions:

1) Did you order the impact material inserts? They can add a certain level of discomfort, but they do protect the rib cage from an impact.

2) Do you want to sell it at a fair price? I have two of these in yellow already from a previous boat, and while I have been thinking about going with red to match the 22, I haven't ordered them yet. I could use an extra.

No impact inserts. The flotation material is very stiff compared to the neoprene which fits like a glove. I don't know what I'm going to do yet but if I decide not to keep it and I can't return it I will give you first dibs on it.

Ed Donnelly
03-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Carl; Call me crazy but, I'll give you $200(Canadian) for it.:rolleyes:

Anything to help out a fellow boater(It should fit my daughter)...Ed

Carl C
03-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Carl; Call me crazy but, I'll give you $200(Canadian) for it.:rolleyes:

Anything to help out a fellow boater(It should fit my daughter)...Ed

I'm probably going to end up keeping it. I don't know yet but Todd has first dibs on it if I sell. I might look into having leg straps sewn onto my neoprenes now that I have a model to see how they go on. I will say that I'm glad I didn't order a pair which I wanted to do.

Lenny
03-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Other than the Cruiser Suit that I wear when it is really cold, I only wear the Mustang vest, I have the hydrostatic one, I have gone in once wearing this and it WORKS, even if you go in unconcious you end up on your back with your hear out of the water. they are light, very comfortable and they look good as well, they are not bulky and don't get in the way.

I have a couple of these too Jeremy but I hate the fact that my hair gets caught in the Velcro at the neck support/inflation area... :(

My Lifeline (orange, big puffy thing) provides soooo much support it is fabulous. :yes: I can hunker into the seats of the X-18 and kinda "lock" myself in there and it feels like I am part of the hull. makes for waayy better running in rough water.

one of these .... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lifeline-Professional-Racing-Life-Jacket_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q 3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c29 3Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZi tem180337347347QQitemZ180337347347QQptZApparelQ5fM erchandise#ebayphotohosting

Ghost
03-18-2009, 02:05 PM
I have a couple of these too Jeremy but I hate the fact that my hair gets caught in the Velcro at the neck support/inflation area... :(

In Canada, is it legal to own a mulletproof vest? <ducking>

Lenny
03-18-2009, 02:36 PM

:rlol::rlol::rlol::rlol::rlol::rlol::rlol: .......................... :troll::cussball:

Carl C
03-18-2009, 02:40 PM
My Lifeline (orange, big puffy thing) provides soooo much support it is fabulous. :yes: I can hunker into the seats of the X-18 and kinda "lock" myself in there and it feels like I am part of the hull. makes for waayy better running in rough water.

one of these .... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lifeline-Professional-Racing-Life-Jacket_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q 3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c29 3Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZi tem180337347347QQitemZ180337347347QQptZApparelQ5fM erchandise#ebayphotohosting

That doesn't look anything like mine :(

mattyboy
03-18-2009, 03:04 PM
carl what model did you order and is it a comp or pleasure vest??

boxy
03-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Only during Hockey season ....

dfunde01
03-18-2009, 04:08 PM
Carl,

Is the vest you have Coast Guard approved. It is my understanding that the custom made life lines are not.

Carl C
03-18-2009, 04:34 PM
carl what model did you order and is it a comp or pleasure vest??

I got the "cheapy" 160C for $285 + shipping. I don't see any Coast Guard rating on it, just a disclaimer about boat racing being dangerous and don't blame us if you drowned.

Lenny
03-18-2009, 05:26 PM
The #160's are not Coast Guard approved Carl. I do not know where you got yours, but here is a recent thread whereas that question was answered with a direct "no" .

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54991&highlight=lifeline

Yours' looks just this http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40331&d=1226536846

and it is stated in that above post/link that they are all one offs (ups) so I do not know.

Carl C
03-18-2009, 06:18 PM
I remember that. I know they are not CG approved, supposedly because each one is custom made. Mine doesn't look custom made though. I don't know what is up with that. I'll have to try it to really know how I like it. Right now I'm disappointed in the quality and fit. I'll try to post a pic with it on when I have someone here to take it.

Dr. Dan
03-18-2009, 06:58 PM
:biggrin.:Lizzy and I ordered 2 direct from Lifeline last year.... they fit perfect...except mine might have to get altered a bit this year after my new Cardiac Method of Weight Loss.

We sent them the measurements which were numerous...and no issues. I will buy more...we have the impact material because we have a slow boat.

Doc of the 2nd Lifetime :wavey:

Sam
03-18-2009, 07:25 PM
Carl, two questions:
Roadtrip is right about the impact material, it's not all about flotation. I have a full race stock outboard jacket (Security Race) that I am required to wear when I race my runabouts. I've been tossed out as well as flipped boats before with no real damage to me. Last season I had the misfortune to be tossed out at 58 mph :eek:. My chest hit the cast aluminum throttle breaking it in three pieces. If not for the impact material am sure I would have had a severe chest bruise at the very least. As it was I walked away and raced later that day. After that day I never cursed the lack of comfort again.
As for jackets being sold as custom and being delivered from the shelf I think I would be wanting to talk to someone at Lifeline. I guess I would want to know if they use the measurements provided as a guide for pre made jackets or do the really make them based on your requirements.

Sam
03-18-2009, 07:29 PM

LMAO.................this is going to get ugly :biggrin.:.

Carl C
07-24-2009, 07:10 AM
I had expressed some disappointment in my new Life-line. Now that I have used it for some time I like it. I now like the looser fit over the neoprenes because it allows air flow to let you stay cooler. I still give my passengers first dibs on it if it will fit them though so I will be adding one more to my life jacket assortment soon. Just thought I'd set the record straight since I had dissed this thing a little before using it.

The Hedgehog
07-24-2009, 07:31 AM
There is a BIG difference between the Lifeline and the Neoprene vest. Talk about Apples and Oranges

Stearns makes a higher speed more comfortable vest with a collar and leg straps. If you want comfort, get one of those. Nice fit and finish. I use them in my X-18 when running hard. And by that I mean snotty water and 50-65 mph. It should stay on fine if you hit the water at those speeds

The Lifeline is a totally different animal. It is a 100 mph vest. If you paid $300 you did not get the custom fit. Those are more like $500. The Lifeline is much more rigid and will help you from getting broken ribs if you get ejected at high speed. It is built for protection and not comfort. If you think that the $300 version feels chunky, try the expensive version with the extra impact protection. It is like wearing a bullet proof vest.

If you wear the vest a bunch and run mostly in the lower speed range, the Stearns is just fine. Especially if the Lifeline is likely to not be worn. I don't use my Lifeline unless running hard in my ZX.

Carl, I would probably keep the Lifeline for the 22. Your boat runs in the 80's and that is probably somewhere around the limit of the Stearns or maybe a little above. Use it when you want to run REAL hard. Go pick up a set of the Stearns for bouncing around at lower speeds

Carl C
07-24-2009, 07:40 AM
Hedge, I usually do run hard. That's one reason I chose the tough 525 for my repower. I now insist that everyone wear a vest when running fast, ALWAYS! They can come off when going slow but with me at the helm that's mainly through the no wake zones! If the unthinkable does happen I want everyone floating even if injured. I do put safety first.

Oh, before you say it, steering will be on next year. Right now I'm enjoying what's left of our short boating season.

The Hedgehog
07-24-2009, 08:02 AM
Hedge, I usually do run hard. That's one reason I chose the tough 525 for my repower. I now insist that everyone wear a vest when running fast, ALWAYS! They can come off when going slow but with me at the helm that's mainly through the no wake zones! If the unthinkable does happen I want everyone floating even if injured. I do put safety first.

Oh, before you say it, steering will be on next year. Right now I'm enjoying what's left of our short boating season.

I kind of figured that you built the boat to hammer on it. No, I was not planning on beating the steering dead horse.

I was in for a shock when my Lifeline came in and that was after looking at and trying on a few versions owned by friends.

Unfortunately, comfort and protection don't really go hand in hand. Sounds like the Lifeline is the way to go for you though. 80+ is moving pretty good.

Canvas Man
07-24-2009, 08:44 AM
"Maybe I could have leg straps put on the neo but I doubt it would come off anyway since it fits pretty snug."

If you take the neopreme Jacket to a local marine canvas shop, they should be able to help you out with adding a few leg straps with some plastic buckles.

If you bring both jackets with you, they should be able to get size and design off the Life-line.

I would still reserve the neopreme for the "slow days" ( yeah ...), but the crotch straps will give a little extra security.

Just dont expect your canvas guy to fit the crotch straps for you----(Joey's Tailor)

Carl C
07-24-2009, 09:23 AM
"

If you take the neopreme Jacket to a local marine canvas shop, they should be able to help you out with adding a few leg straps with some plastic buckles.

If you bring both jackets with you, they should be able to get size and design off the Life-line.

I would still reserve the neopreme for the "slow days" ( yeah ...), but the crotch straps will give a little extra security.

Just dont expect your canvas guy to fit the crotch straps for you----(Joey's Tailor)

I know a biker who has a commercial sewing machine. He makes the leather vests for his club. He could sew the straps on but I have done a 180. I'm not so crazy about the snug neoprenes anymore. I will try to add one Lifeline every year.

Canvas Man
07-24-2009, 09:31 AM
At 80 + I think you're a very wise man to stick with the best jacket available!
:party: