PDA

View Full Version : van for towing

glashole
03-17-2009, 07:27 AM
has anyone had any experience using a van for towing

my main concern would obviously be at the boat ramp because of the 2wd

the one i am looking at is a 12 passenger ford e350 with the 7.3L deisel
low kms (miles):pimp:

not really sold on it but it does look like it would be a ton of fun to have and drive around , could possible crash in if need be :superman:

Its major purpose would be to tow the 22 to rally's

Shea

CHACHI
03-17-2009, 07:41 AM
Shea, I have towed my 22 behind my company's van, a E-350 long wheelbase with a V-10 and 4:10's. Tows like a dream, I have only splashed it at one boat ramp and had no trouble tigging it out. It had Michelin LTX's on it at the time.

Your boat ramps may vary.

Ken

HOWARD O
03-17-2009, 07:44 AM
That's a great tow vehicle, especially with the 7.3....a tow monster. My friend tows his 26' lobsterboat with that very same vehicle and he bought it new specifically to do just that. His boat weighs at least 9K pounds. Never had an issue at a launch ramp. Limited slip rear would help too. Actually, I think it'd be better at a launch ramp than a pickup w/out 4wd as it has a little more weight in the rear. A 22' would be nothing for that thing.

"I know MINXGUY sometimes tows with a V-10 van." Man Ken, you are speedy fingers this morning!

mrfixxall
03-17-2009, 09:36 AM
has anyone had any experience using a van for towing

my main concern would obviously be at the boat ramp because of the 2wd

the one i am looking at is a 12 passenger ford e350 with the 7.3L deisel
low kms (miles):pimp:

not really sold on it but it does look like it would be a ton of fun to have and drive around , could possible crash in if need be :superman:

Its major purpose would be to tow the 22 to rally's

Shea

my expierance with the 7.3 in the ford e350 was,

1, it pulled real well well for the load we carried out to ca.

2,the van only got 9 mpg

3, with the 7.3 they go through ball joints more often the the trucks.

4, theirs a problen with the blend door braking and you only have heat.

5, if its pre 2001 make sure it dont have a torque converter shudder whyle shifting gears.

other then the above great van, made me lots of money:biggrin:

CHACHI
03-17-2009, 09:55 AM
"I know MINXGUY sometimes tows with a V-10 van."
Yeah, but there wasn't much to tow when you saw me.

Ken

zelatore
03-17-2009, 09:57 AM
I don't have specific knowledge of that van for towing, but I've had a couple vans in the past. Most recently an old 3/4 ton Dodge utility van I bought specifically to turn into a mobile shop/tow rig/moving truck when I moved to CA. It was a dog with a tired old 318, but it towed a 20' flatbed with my Alfa and motorcycle on it, plus was loaded with two roll-aways, a spare Alfa V6, and tons of other tools and household goods (literally packed to the roof). I bet I drove it at WOT 2/3rds of the time coming across the country and it never complained. (it just went reeeeealy slow up the Rockies).

As a tow-rig, both my vans did fine. Visibility isn't as good as a truck (mine were both cargo vans with no rear windows) but on the road they were good.

MOP
03-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Nothing wrong with two wheel drive except maybe the fact that you will get a lot better mileage, both of my Subs are two wheelers they do exceptionally well at the ramp. I get near 14 towing at 70 and 20.5 light same speeds, though I had four wheelers for over 40 years I wound never buy another cost in the long run is just to high.

Uncle Fester
03-17-2009, 11:03 AM
Don't tell the boss, but I tow my ZX all over with my company Chevy 1500 Express. It actually does a better job than my Yukon because I have so much weight in it with cabinets and tools it doesn't push me around. Haven't used the van to launch in saltwater, but works great on all the freshwater ramps around here.

Donziweasel
03-17-2009, 02:45 PM
I had a bunch of E-350 vans with 7.3's. 1 ton chassis, rated to tow something like 17,000 pounds, would be perfect. I ordered all mine new and got the limited slip rear end, it would help on the ramps.

Mike is right about the ball joints, they are crap. Use to replace them all the time. Went aftermarket and did much better. I will ask my mechanics what brand the finally settled on for ball joints and let you know.

7.3 is a great engine.

KerrLake
03-17-2009, 03:16 PM
7.3 is a great engine.[/quote]

I agree. My 250 had the 7.3 and it gave me good service. My 550 has the 6 in it and mucho problemas with only 40k so far. I would give it back if I could.

Air 22
03-17-2009, 03:25 PM
"Don't come a knock'n if the VAN is a rock"n...":biggrin.:

Shea...With plenty of room you could also install a Keg w Pull-Tap for those thirsty moments, hours, dayzzzzzz etc...lol:beer: and don't foget the beer goggles..:biggrin.:

HOWARD O
03-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Yeah, but there wasn't much to tow when you saw me.

Ken

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! :yes: :biggrin.:

BigGrizzly
03-17-2009, 04:23 PM
That is a great tow truck. and you don't pack it you just throw stuff in it untill it is full:biggrin.::biggrin.:

Lenny
03-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Shea, i have only towed (all my boats) with vans. The only down side is getting around back of it to get on the tongue and back it off the trailer. I stay close to the wharf as in a couple feet max, and once far enough in I walk down the dock, step on the bumper, unclip it, push it back by the bow and tie it off to the wharf and then drive out. That is the only downside i see. i love having all the lockable room for props, lifejackets, bags coolers and stuff at easy reach and secure.

I JUST bought my first FORD. An E-350 but gas. Standard length. I haven't put a hitch on it yet but that is next up.

I have used a Chevy Van, then another Chevy Van, a then a GMC van forever, and now this Ford.

The other uses a van provides (dry storage of full length goods) and lack of canopy I think far outweighs the use of a pickup and a canopy to scrape your back raw on.

I use mine for picking up sheet goods daily, and delivery of millwork/cabinetry. IF I had to use a pickup for this, I would have to buy an enclosed trailer too for deliveries and tools. a van provides both.

f_inscreenname
03-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Took the words right of my mouth Lenny. Nothing like having a rolling shed for anything you want to haul to and store at the ramp when there.
Even if it's parts that belong in the boat.:biggrin.:
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/737/vanw.jpg

ITTLFLI
03-25-2009, 01:16 PM
My buddy had a 7.3 E-350 4x4 ....Towed his 28 Apache like a champ once we got the death wobble out of it. It went off road pretty well also:beer:

Dr. Dan
03-25-2009, 08:03 PM
:worthy:Shea there is a Nationally known 4 x 4 Van place down here that does alot of conversions for Dealerships, I will get the number if you get it and let you know.

I have been thinking of getting a full size Van for work and I have been thinking of getting a Deisel if I do. I think it might be pretty Trick if it was dressed up right. If it had a 3:73 Gear in it it would do better on the Hwy than a 4:10. You can always change the gearing to play with the mileage.

Good Luck

Doc of Too Many Tow Vehicles :biggrin.:

ITTLFLI
03-25-2009, 08:16 PM
:worthy:Shea there is a Nationally known 4 x 4 Van place down here that does alot of conversions for Dealerships, I will get the number if you get it and let you know.

Probably Quigley. That was the one my buddy had.

Donziweasel
03-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Bunch of companies out here run the Quigley. The snowmobile tour companies especailly use them, towing 8 place snowmobile trailers. Good conversion.

Chevy does make a 1/2 ton AWD one that sits 8. I have a couple of 09's in my fleet. Nice V-8, drivers love em', especailly in the snow. Rated to tow almost 8000 pounds. Cost loaded was 29,000.00 new. Could probably get one cheaper now.

Dr. Dan
03-26-2009, 06:05 AM
Probably Quigley. That was the one my buddy had.

Yep I believe thats the company...they seem to do very good work. The Vans look Factory when finished. Definitely an option for peeps that need to haul gear and peeps, or tons of Donzi Gear :biggrin.:.http://www.quigley4x4.com/

Keep us posted.

Danny