PDA

View Full Version : NEW Donzi Scripts are on the way!

seano
03-17-2009, 06:26 AM
Since I discovered Dick Weaver was no longer producing the Donzi scripts, I decided to look into having them done myself as I consider myself to be a pretty resourceful guy.

Short story long, I decided to give my old corroded script do my dad's friend and neighbor who owns a plating business. We asked him if he knew anyone who might be able to reproduce this piece and low and behold he did...however he didn't want to do a reproduction of my junk as junk would equal junk in the end... :)

Enter Byron who generously supplied me with a perfect piece from which to cast a new mold...that was the easy part...thanks Byron! :)

Well, we're off to production and I should have something to show you all shortly. I have invested what to me is a not insignificant amount of money in having the mold created and a minimum run of 25 sets of scripts produced.
So based on that, how much interest is there on the forum for these? I figure there has to be others out there like me, who at least in my case had one complete crappy script and one broken one which was missing the "M".
Perhaps there are some who have looked at their pitted and decrepid scripts and said...man...a new set of scripts would be just the ticket! Or...for you restorers out there...maybe you've got some customers who need these...

Either way, hopefully there are some of you out there that can use these...I haven't come up with pricing yet, but based on my initial investment, I'm thinking somewhere between 100 and 200 for a set...any idea what Dick used to charge?

Any thoughts or interest?

RedDog
03-17-2009, 08:04 AM
I don't NEED one but might WANT one. My thought is I would only want 1 script rather than a pair. Give some thought to splitting up some sets.

txtaz
03-17-2009, 08:41 AM
I'm missing something here. What's a script?

Da Taz<---Scipts to me are making puters do things. i.e., the php script to post this message.

mattyboy
03-17-2009, 08:44 AM
I'm missing something here. What's a script?
Da Taz<---Scipts to me are making puters do things. i.e., the php script to post this message.

it is the verbage of a play, screenplay, or movie but that's not important right now ;) :tongue:

Wes it is the old donzi script logo cast in metal that was on the side of the older classics pre 68 ish

txtaz
03-17-2009, 08:46 AM
Ohhh,

Thanks Matty. BTW, good play on words.

Da Taz

mattyboy
03-17-2009, 08:51 AM
here is a pic someone must have a better close up of the script

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40458&d=1227111353

ITTLFLI
03-17-2009, 09:03 AM
like these

mattyboy
03-17-2009, 09:08 AM
:yes: that would be it :)

olredalert
03-17-2009, 09:32 AM
------Seano,,,Count me in for a pair. I also would like to know what the material make-up is going to be, though.........Bill S

seano
03-17-2009, 09:40 AM
Thanks for posting the pic Byron.

The script at the top of Byron's pic is the one we are using as the template for the mold...and as near as i can tell, it is original...it looks and feels exactly like the one that came off my 16(except it's much prettier...LOL).

In terms of the casting, we are doing them in Zamak and they will of course be chrome plated. i will post hi-res pics as soon as they are ready.

to reddog's question, not sure why anyone would want just one...there are 2 sides to every boat... :biggrin.::biggrin.:

RedDog
03-17-2009, 09:47 AM
to reddog's question, not sure why anyone would want just one...there are 2 sides to every boat... :biggrin.::biggrin.:

Maybe I want to use it on something other than a boat :pimp:

CHACHI
03-17-2009, 09:53 AM
Tim, I will split it with you.

Ken

seano
03-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Maybe I want to use it on something other than a boat :pimp:

like putting it on a gold chain? :yes: :eek: :eek:

CHACHI
03-17-2009, 10:39 AM
like putting it on a gold chain? :yes: :eek: :eek:

Close,.....................................a ring.

Ken

BERTRAM BOY
03-17-2009, 11:22 AM
Here is a model.... courtesy of Rootsy.

undertaker
03-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Cliff when did ya move to Alaska...:biggrin.::biggrin.::biggrin.::kingme:

Undertaker:troll:

PS Sorry for the hijack:wavey:

seano
03-17-2009, 11:30 AM

I've seen that one before...didn't he do that on a CNC machine? Does he still make them?

BERTRAM BOY
03-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Cliff when did ya move to Alaska...:biggrin.::biggrin.::biggrin.::kingme:
Undertaker:troll:
PS Sorry for the hijack:wavey:

New England only feels like Alaska sometimes...

That Jpeg is just a simulation. As far as I know, he didn't actually make any. You could email him....paging Rootsy!!!!

seano
03-17-2009, 01:52 PM
My understanding of the casting process was that the Zamak was problematic. Bronze was a better, albeit more pricey/difficult material..

You are correct on price. Casting in bronze would have produced a product that would last longer without proper care in a saltwater environment, but it would have more than doubled the price. With proper care around saltwater, chrome plated Zamak will last just as long as bronze...

There are many marine manufacturers out there that cast in Zamak...Attwood, SeaDog to name a couple actually cast rail ends, cleats and bow eyes in Zamak.

Lenny
03-17-2009, 10:40 PM
I love my Scripts (2 full sets) from Richard Weaver. Vents as well, screens etc. First class act :yes:

Hope you pull off the same :) Fabulous parts :yes:

Other is the Formula Junior stuff :D

I would LOVE to find someone to do the DONZI vents with the DONZI logo in them. They were VERY cool :yes:

:D

DC18
03-17-2009, 10:47 PM
If these are the ones being reproduced, I'll take a pair.:beer:

Lenny
03-17-2009, 11:13 PM
I think the BEST part is that the Script was done by hand and a drafting template back in '64. No photocopiers, no magic, just talent.

NOT on a 'puter and 1 TRILLION fonts available. That is cool.

I would LOVE the ones with the script in the vent tho :yes:

Carl C
03-18-2009, 08:12 AM
Could you give a ballpark price? I'd probably be in for 1 or 2 to hang on the wall.

mattyboy
03-18-2009, 08:54 AM
if some one is looking for just art work I think tamburello has it digitized very nice