PDA

View Full Version : Hedgehogs can ski!

Donziweasel
03-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Those furry little critters get down the mountain very well....

I started the morning by meeting Bill out at his Condo. I brought both pairs of my ski's and decided I choose which pair to ski when I got there. I had my Volkle G-3 all mountain ski's and my Solomon Guns deep powder ski's. JH only got 6 inches last night, but I chose my Guns, a choice that would bite me in the ass the rest of the day.

Anywho, Bill and I went up to one of the upper lifts and began scratching around for fresh powder. I took him down several runs looking for fresh tracks, including Bill's first Jackson Double Black. We found some decent snow, but much of the mountains was "dust on crust". Imagine taking a huge steel plate, sprinkling some talcom powder on it, putting it at a 60 degree slope and trying to ski it. It was pretty brutal. On top of it all, my ski choice was a disaster. The Guns are made for serious deep powder and suck ass in everything else. I mean, reallly really suck ass at everything else. Bill was doing great. I decided to look for better terrian on another area of the mountain accessable only by our new Tram.

Down 3000 ft we went, back up another 4100. Down Rendevous Bowl, where I proceeded to have a nice 50 yard blow up. Damn Guns. Then things got better. Using my local radar and intuition, I took Bill to Bernies Bowl, where the powder was untracked. After screaming "who hoo" all the way down with smiles on our faces (Guns were at home here), we went through the trees enjoying some nice fresh stuff. Did a couple of more tree runs and then a long brutal run to the bottom.

Conditions were tough today (and I mean TOUGH!) and Bill did great. Skied everything well, seemed to enjoy the mountain and enjoyed some of the "local areas" I took him to.

Our big storm stalled and is coming later today. Still calling for 12-24 inches. I had a great time skiing with Bill and look foward to making turns with him again possibly tommorrow. I will make sure I choose the right ski this time.

Who knew those cute furry little critters could ski?:wink:

The Hedgehog
03-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Dust on crust is about right.

Bernie's bowl and the trees had me yelling out loud though.

I went over to the Moose (aka the Mouse) after you left for some lunch and drinks. Got back to the condo and well...you know what JH can do to you if you ski hard in the am. The legs are jello. The weather report keeps teasing me. Resting the legs for a full day tomorrow.

The women went shopping. I did not want any of that. I had a group of lost women knock on the door looking for some one. I kind of had the surprised but "I have seen a few movies start this way" thought.

I really appreciate the locals version of the mountain. I am sure that I would have been stuck with a day of hazing my legs with out that.

You have to watch out for Weasels when they are toting power skis. They just go over the top of things and make very few turns. Skiing with someone that skis faster than me was nice. I spent the first day waiting and looking up the mountain.

So what to do? Tons of options but I just may have to walk back over to the village for some apres ski.

Oh yeah, its been a good day. But its not over yet!!!