PDA

View Full Version : paint - engine and bilge

zelatore
03-16-2009, 12:18 PM
George, Conquistidor, et al,

Since I'm going to pull my motor this weekend it will be time to spruce things up. That means cleaning and painting both the bilge/engine room and the engine itself.

But I'm no painter!

What products have you guys had good luck with? I've used BilgeKote before on some of our yachts and it works OK but doesn't seem to give a very hard finish; it seems to stain easily or even stay slightly tacky. Any other suggestions?

As for painting the engine, it's strictly rattle can stuff. I may change the color from black to red, but mainly I'm just looking for a hard paint that's durable and easy to apply. I seem to recall from my drag racing days that VHT(?) sold some nice engine paints in rattle cans?

rustnrot
03-16-2009, 12:46 PM
I swear by using two part Rust Oleum Garage or Basement paint or Epoxy paint whatever is cheapest for both wood and fiberglass bilges. It is a fairly flat satiny finish, 2 part that you get at home depot or Lowes. It is very hard, sticks great and does not come off with gas or oil. I always get the gray color but there are others. I skip adding the "sprinkles". Being an epoxy paint I do not think it is highly UV resistant but that has not been a problem for bilge use.

I've always sprayed it but I'm sure you could roll or brush it also. Seems to cure fast, in a matter of hours. Gets so hard I cannot even hardly scratch it when I try.

mrfixxall
03-16-2009, 12:59 PM
George, Conquistidor, et al,
Since I'm going to pull my motor this weekend it will be time to spruce things up. That means cleaning and painting both the bilge/engine room and the engine itself.
But I'm no painter!
What products have you guys had good luck with? I've used BilgeKote before on some of our yachts and it works OK but doesn't seem to give a very hard finish; it seems to stain easily or even stay slightly tacky. Any other suggestions?
As for painting the engine, it's strictly rattle can stuff. I may change the color from black to red, but mainly I'm just looking for a hard paint that's durable and easy to apply. I seem to recall from my drag racing days that VHT(?) sold some nice engine paints in rattle cans?
Ive tryed a few they will come off if you dont prep the bilge properly.call miniceaft and get the bile gel with the wax in it,take a red scuff pad and scuff the entire bilg before apply anything and use a good degreecer fowled by dawn dish soap..Dont use any rattle can paint,it will just flake off..
Apply the gel with the wax in it with a foam roller or a fine brush and it wil last forever..

gcarter
03-16-2009, 01:00 PM
Here's a thread from "another" site;

http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3224

There're several reccomendations for Rustoleum DTM w/Immersion additive.
I googled it and it looks like it's available at Grainger.

The Bilgecoat is OK though, It's reasonably priced, very easy to touch up, and it sticks to everything.

Tidbart
03-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Bilgecoat.:yes:
Like George said, sticks to everything. Apply with disposable foam brushes, 2-3 coats.

B

Go see post #140 for before and after photos: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52510&page=10

(http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36629&d=1213405889)