PDA

View Full Version : So, what does it take to be a big dog?

The Hedgehog
03-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Well, I went up this afternoon to take a look at Corbet's. Yeah, it was as big and bad as I thought. I looked from the top and bottom both. I pondered the question, do I want to drop in?

The whole thing brought up some old feelings and questions. The first was: can I get down the drop? Oh hell yeah. The second: Can I do it right and do I deserve to be on that run? No way!

I rate that thing with the class V+ runs I made back in the day. It is a day by day thing. I ran Overflow Creek in Ga from top to bottom one day. It was a good day when I was on Overflow so I ran Marginal Monster. I ran it in style. For those that don't know it is a class V+ that will kill you if you mess up. On other days I would not consider it. I boated a bunch at the time and knew where I was in relation to my game. It felt right. These days I would not even get on that creek. Skiing is a little different. You can get on the mountain and sometimes go the other way if you don't like your run. Corbert's is not one of those. If you drop in, you are done.

All in all, I found JH to be a humbling mountain. Humbling but forgiving. Yet at the same time, big enough to remind me I am not a big dog here.

I left the mountain today with a great feeling and nothing to prove. The whole scene here exudes that. These folks are cool and love to ski.

Tonight we should get about a foot of fresh snow. I can't wait till the am to strap on some boards with the Weasel to see the great secrets that JH has to offer. I will be humble yet wanting to see more.

Oh yeah. There is no way I can run this mountain properly from top to bottom without a break. Yeah I can do it. But not properly.

rtgogo
03-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Bill...40 is close..make sure you see it...Have Fun and remember it takes a lil longer to bounce back as an elder...(haha).:kingme:

I'm jealous as hell :yes:

Donziweasel
03-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Corbet's with 20-30 inches if fresh powder in it is a different animal. Landing is so deep and soft, it doesn't really matter if you blow up.

That being said, I haven't dropped Corbets in, oh, 8-10 years. Done it. It is a scary run.

JH is a big burley mountain for sure. Plenty of great green and blue runs, family terrian, etc....but if you want some of the most extreme skiing inside a ski resort, JH has plenty of that as well.

Our blacks and double blacks are like nothing you have ever seen before. I love em', especially with 20-30 inches of powder. Steep and soft.
I will say, Bill can hold his own better than he is saying. I asked him about some of the runs he went down and he named a few. Nothing extreme, but some difficult ones for sure. Jackson is an absolutly massive resort with many nooks and crannies. Tommorrow I will show him the secrets of this amazing mountain and he is in for a treat. Nothing like getting the best, deepest and untracked powder on the mountain and no one knows where is is except us locals. The Hobacks (our back bowls of Vail, but 10 times better), are definetly on the menu. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

40 is close..make sure you see it
Rtgogo- Don't worry, I will make sure he gets home alive. He might be beat up some, but alive. :wink: Anytime you want to come, you know where we are.:yes:

The Hedgehog
03-15-2009, 11:28 PM
Bill...40 is close..make sure you see it...Have Fun and remember it takes a lil longer to bounce back as an elder...(haha).:kingme:
I'm jealous as hell :yes:

Yes, I agree.

That being said. You seem like the kind of guy that needs to come out here and hang out with us.

gcarter
03-16-2009, 01:43 AM
Well, I'm envious.
30 years ago, I'd have been there too.
But not now.
But I do know how to appreciate a mountain and enjoy the complexities of its runs, I've skied Vail's back bowls.
Maybe I'll come out and watch some time. I haven't been on a set of skiis since 1979 so I'd be taking it easy watching everyone else conquering the mountain.
Good luck.

rtgogo
03-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Yes, I agree.

That being said. You seem like the kind of guy that needs to come out here and hang out with us.

last forecast made me think about a plane ride.....too many road trips..not enough time....next time!! Enjoy......