PDA

View Full Version : an inauspicious begining

zelatore
03-15-2009, 06:19 PM
Finally got around to starting my Procharger install this afternoon.

Step one – strip the front of the motor. OK, done.

Step two – replace OEM thermostat housing with Procharger part. Er – she don’t fit. There are two holes in the new housing to handle the two original temp senders. One in the top, one on the port aft side. Top works fine….port aft runs smack into the intake.

I got real far before running into the first snag!

Easy enough to fix – there’s plenty of room on the starboard aft side of the housing. All I have to do is drill and tap that side then put a plug in the port side. But if something this simple doesn’t fit, I can’t wait to get to the big parts…:rolleyes:

I noticed the Procharger kit/manual covers several years, but I pretty much thought they only used one intake on the injected 502s, so not sure what happened here.

Of course, you know what this really means - somewhere down the road in a few weeks when I get this thing put together there's going to be another prop thread. :kingme:

gcarter
03-15-2009, 06:28 PM
It's probably a good thing you're good with tools....:yes::yes:

:wavey:

BigGrizzly
03-15-2009, 06:34 PM
Which procharger did you get? When you put on the bracket there could be a bolt problem there are two blocks one with 3/8 bolts and one with 7/16 Mine are 3/8 the kit had 7/16 bolts. The bolt is 5 1/2 long in either case. If you got the M3 the spacers that mount the blower to the bracket, well two are too big in diameter. With the M1 there is no issues. The prop thing is easy:yes::yes:

BlownCrewCab
03-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Dang it, If this had come up sooner I could have stopped by their plant and checked on it for you. I was in Kansas all last week and passed by their plant daily, I wanted to stop in and check it out but was pressed for time.

zelatore
03-15-2009, 07:27 PM
Went with the M3SC. I didn't really expect it to be exactly a 'bolt on', but I was surprised at running into an issue with what I expected to be a simple part. I do know for example I'll have to make some sort of oil filter bracket since the procharger bracket is designed to fit the stock manifolds and I've got Stainless Marine's.

I've put the thermostat housing aside until next week as I don't have a tap for that thread so I'll pick one up when I'm at work next week. I've now moved on to pulling the fuel cooler/pump assembly. This is a special fun that has me thinking 'why not just pull the whole bloody engine and be done with it?'

(Actually, I know why. My cherry picker won't pick up a big block that high and if I pulled the motor I'd have to detail and paint the engine compartment. That's not a project I need to add to the list at this point. Maybe next year, but not now.)

yeller
03-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Finally got around to starting my Procharger install this afternoon. When did ya get the S/C? Must have missed that post. Did you go new?

zelatore
03-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Well, didn't get very far. Not long after that last post I got the fuel lines off (the high pressure line was really tight in there) then realized that if I wanted to get the whole thing off I'd have to lift the motor off it's cradle since the bracket won't slide between the pan and cradle as-is.

So I decided to start cleaning up. Picked up two hand fulls of tools and stepped over the side onto the fender.....and slipped.

I didn't fall all the way to the floor, but conveniently I had removed the PVC 'goal post' from the end of the trailer to get it out of my way. This left about 2' of square aluminum tubing sticking up. It didn't quite spear me in the ass, but did write off a pair of Levi's and leave a nice 4" gash on the side of one cheek!

Naturally all the tools went everywhere and I let out a curse, which drew Michele out from the house. She came to the door of the garage, saw me hobbling around with one hand clamped to my rear and says 'did you stab yourself in the ass?'. At least she didn't laugh. :rlol:

But this may be the final straw. My cherry picker might not be tall enough, but I think a phone call in the morning can have an A-frame here for next weekend. Besides, I can't help but think of all the clean-up I can do to the motor and engine compartment with it out of there.

Time to investigate what it takes to pull a 502. I'm thinking it's mostly just pull the drive, a few hoses, a couple wires, and pop the mounts.

Now where's that bottle of ibuprophen?

zelatore
03-15-2009, 09:43 PM
When did ya get the S/C? Must have missed that post. Did you go new?

I ordered it from Jamie when he was running the sale just before the end of the year. I found several used ones, but figured since I'd never done one before I'd save myself the potential headaches and just go new. It's been sitting in the garage waiting for me to get to it until now.

I thought about going skunkworks and just showing up to Powell without telling anybody, but who am I kidding? I can never keep a secret!

BUIZILLA
03-15-2009, 10:05 PM
welp, while your waiting on the A frame then it's time to get the propping out of the way...

:outtahere:

zelatore
03-16-2009, 12:44 AM
I'm still a long way from proping. Gotta get the blower on, get the trim indicators in, get the new dash fab'ed and new gauges in... and now clean up and detail the bilge/engine.

The only prop I've run on it is a Mirage+ 25. That takes me right to 5000 rpm and about 74 GPS. When the time comes, I'll come knocking at your door.

gcarter
03-16-2009, 01:30 AM
Ever since I bought my boat dollies a couple of years ago, I'm amazed how many other people haven't. W/a set of dollies and a floor jack, I can get the boat off the trailer and onto the dollies inside of ten minutes. All that's req'd is (1) set of dollies- $400.00, (1) floor jack- less than $100.00, and (1) 2' long piece of 4 X 4- $1.00.
Now, so many of you spend thousands and thousands on superchargers, steering systems, and many other items that will set you back maybe $10K- $15K but won't buy $500.00 worth of tools that will pay for themselves many, many, many times over. Not to mention that they will last you the rest of your life and always have a very good resale value.
I don't understand.
So many here won't even spend $100.00 on a drive stand (which is a lifesaver for removing/installing the drive, not to mention protecting it while it's off the boat).
When I hear horror stories like this one (and Don could easily had more than $500.00 in medical bills), I just don't understand the reluctance to purchase the proper tools.
Guys, it's amazingly easy to work on the boat while it's on the dollies. It can be set up very low to the floor and you just step over the side into the engine compartment. You can even reach over the side right into the bilge.
The difference is amazing.
Well, at least think about it.
If anyone wants a link to a site that offers a really good set, say so and I'll post it later.
Sorry Don, the rant is over.

Ed Donnelly
03-16-2009, 02:00 AM
George; That would take the fun out of half of these posts.:yes:

What tool do you have for fitting under the dash?
I've gained 40 lbs since I quit smoking 2 yrs ago..

Sorry for stealing your thread sir................Ed

gcarter
03-16-2009, 02:36 AM
What tool do you have for fitting under the dash?
I've gained 40 lbs since I quit smoking 2 yrs ago..

Errr uh.....remove the seats?

Carl C
03-16-2009, 06:50 AM
Step two – replace OEM thermostat housing with Procharger part. Er – she don’t fit. There are two holes in the new housing to handle the two original temp senders. One in the top, one on the port aft side. Top works fine….port aft runs smack into the intake.

I got real far before running into the first snag!

You didn't really think it would just bolt on did you? Nothing does. I even had to modify my coolant reservoir cover:mad:.

Good luck and keep us up-dated.

gcarter
03-16-2009, 07:15 AM
DAMN, never thought about that..

Where's the sawzall, where's the sawzall?? :nilly: :nilly: :nilly:

Scott, I see your point.:eek:

Hmmmmm.....

I guess Ed's wife needs to put him on a diet if he really needs to get under there.:yes:
After all, while it was esential that he stop smoking, it wasn't mandatory to gain the 40#.:rolleyes:

OTOH, isn't that what small children are for?
Doesn't Ed have several?:biggrin.:

Ghost
03-16-2009, 08:18 AM
You didn't really think it would just bolt on did you? Nothing does.

Exactly. Not even a freakin' bolt is bolt-on. (You still need to drill and tap for it.) ;)

zelatore
03-16-2009, 09:47 AM
Ever since I bought my boat dollies a couple of years ago, I'm amazed how many other people haven't. W/a set of dollies and a floor jack, I can get the boat off the trailer and onto the dollies inside of ten minutes. All that's req'd is (1) set of dollies- $400.00, (1) floor jack- less than $100.00, and (1) 2' long piece of 4 X 4- $1.00.
Now, so many of you spend thousands and thousands on superchargers, steering systems, and many other items that will set you back maybe $10K- $15K but won't buy $500.00 worth of tools that will pay for themselves many, many, many times over. Not to mention that they will last you the rest of your life and always have a very good resale value.
I don't understand.
So many here won't even spend $100.00 on a drive stand (which is a lifesaver for removing/installing the drive, not to mention protecting it while it's off the boat).
When I hear horror stories like this one (and Don could easily had more than $500.00 in medical bills), I just don't understand the reluctance to purchase the proper tools.
Guys, it's amazingly easy to work on the boat while it's on the dollies. It can be set up very low to the floor and you just step over the side into the engine compartment. You can even reach over the side right into the bilge.
The difference is amazing.
Well, at least think about it.
If anyone wants a link to a site that offers a really good set, say so and I'll post it later.
Sorry Don, the rant is over.

Let's see, I've already got the floor jack and cherry picker out in the shed, along with plenty of scrap lumber to cover the 4x4, so that just leaves the $400 for the dollies and $100 for the drive stand (gotta pull the drive to use the dollies).

Oh wait, I forgot the $100,000 to build a new garage big enough to hold the boat. Damn - I was so close!

While my garage is pretty big by CA standards (I can get a car, a truck, and two bikes in it plus tool storage) it's not long enough to get the whole boat in. And yeah, we could certainly build a cheaper garage but the master plan calls for something fairly elaborate that includes a loft/living area. And no, I haven't gotten any estimates, I'm just guessing.

But you do make a good point. The worst thing about working on a boat alone is constantly going over the side to get tools or parts. Well that and stuffing yourself into tiny spaces. And standing on your head. And the fiberglass shards in unfinished areas. And....:wink:

Say, if i can't afford a set of dollies, how much to hook me up with a couple bags of salt?

BUIZILLA
03-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Don, don't worry about George..... he'll have 100k invested in a 25k boat using $500 worth of tools....

it's not like he hasn't done that before...

anonymous.. :troll:

zelatore
03-16-2009, 11:54 AM
I have secured use of the A-frame and chain fall. I'll be picking it up Friday on my way home for the weekend. Now I just have to beef up my elcheapo Harbor Freight engine stand to support a dressed big block and find somewhere to put the 351 long block that's currently on it. (the dumpster seems an appropriate place to store the 351 at the moment)

Now to find some detailing supplies for the engine room. I wonder what s/s diamond plate runs?.....:kingme:

gcarter
03-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Don, remember, the boat on a set of dollies is only 22'-7" long.
It'll fit in any garage.
The trailer goes outside.
There's no excuse.

rustnrot
03-16-2009, 12:55 PM
My favorite dollies are sold by Continental Trailers in FL. I like them best as they are galvanized. I bet I have bought a dozen or more for all my boat-hobbyist-friends over the years... Once they see them or use them they are hooked... One friend got out of boat work and sold them...for nearly what he paid for them.

gcarter
03-16-2009, 01:07 PM
I have a set of Williams Engineering 7000# dollies. Not galvanized, but powdercoated. Has adjustable hieght and legs of different heights. Youi can get them high enough to get under the boat.

http://www.williamsengineering.net/7m.html

gcarter
03-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Don, don't worry about George..... he'll have 100k invested in a 25k boat using $500 worth of tools....

it's not like he hasn't done that before...

anonymous.. :troll:

You know a little about that yourself, don't you?

Carl C
03-16-2009, 01:15 PM
While my garage is pretty big by CA standards it's not long enough to get the whole boat in.

Here's how you fix that: (Hint: put it up quick before anyone notices;))

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost.php?p=346261&postcount=1

gcarter
03-16-2009, 01:25 PM
If everyone had a set of dollies, everyone's boat could be inside during the winter since you're not dealing w/a trailer tongue.
I don't think trailers freeze too much.:yes:

CJmike
03-16-2009, 01:30 PM
So heres a newby question. How do you get the boat off the trailer and onto the dollies?

zelatore
03-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Here's how you fix that: (Hint: put it up quick before anyone notices;))

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost.php?p=346261&postcount=1

I could do that, but it would look kinda funny with the 'nook' extending into my living room...

Seriously though, the plans are to build a detached 4-car with an over-sized 'rv' space at some point in the future. The far, far, distant future.

BUIZILLA
03-16-2009, 01:49 PM
You know a little about that yourself, don't you? I would have quit at 40k.... or 200 hours, not 100k and 2000 hours :biggrin:

BigGrizzly
03-16-2009, 06:55 PM
You guys haven't figured George out yet. He does this just to have an excuse to buy tools and learn how to do things. My trouble is when I did the Konrad I had everything including a 10 pound slide hammer to remove the transom plate that was stuck. ZEL the fun is just beginning.