PDA

View Full Version : To vent or not to vent..That is the question...

Speed Racer
03-14-2009, 09:22 PM
So as the Deck goes on the 1967 Ski Sporter V-drive in a week or so, I thought I would ask Y'all about that goofy vent aft of the engine hatch...

Originally, it was just for show, screwed into the deck to look like a cool chrome vent.. Does it make sense for me to do some cutting and turn it into a real vent for the engine compartment, or am I messing with vintage Donzi JuJu if I cut extra holes?

BTW the rebuilt Holman Moody 302 is SweeeeT!! nice little cam in it, fired right up, no oil, water or fuel leaks!!

As usual, the opinions of the Donzi Elders are appreciated!

HOWARD O
03-14-2009, 09:34 PM
My old 1969 16'.....now my brother's, has the original HM 302 and that is some good running motor and a great sound to it too.

I don't know much about your vintage and the vent above the transom, but I think my big concern would be a following wave dumping water in there.......and what about rainwater in general? Aside from bad juju, if it didn't need it before, why do it now? Just thinkin' out loud....:rolleyes:

BigGrizzly
03-15-2009, 08:53 AM
DO NOT activate that vent. it gets water in the bilge on slowdown. If you don't like the looks then loose it. Our 1966 16 still has it on just for looks, BTW it has not been restored- no need to do it.

mattyboy
03-15-2009, 09:06 AM
Garry,

the water is one thing but all that work you put into that deck don't put anymore holes than you need in it

a 67 should have the back seat vent and 2 clamshells vents on the fwd part of the bilge if you feel the motor needs more air after this season think about adding the 2 rear clamshell vents like the 68 and newer 16's

my 67 never really seem like it was starving for air and even after long hard runs the bilge was not all that warm

funny after running in mine for a bit I hopped in pearson pumpkin I looked at him like that motor sounds flat like it is missing but just the different pitch and tone of a SBF and a SBC

BigGrizzly
03-15-2009, 09:09 AM
The Viper guy said that to my son Marc. He is now a believer and red faced too. My son is such a showman.

jl1962
03-16-2009, 05:59 AM
Garry-

You already know the answer - keep it stock. If any doubts - consult the Book of Matty! :worthy:

My 302 has a great mid-range growl - sounds like a dimed Marshall :yes:

JL

rustnrot
03-16-2009, 10:20 AM
On Mark's 16 v-drive the holes appear to be factory drilled under the rear vent. It also has the factory installed so-called "hvac register" under the seat, supposedly all for increased flow.

Have not had any problem with water getting in that I know of. But with the v-drive it may not have as much of a "transom wave".