PDA

View Full Version : Corn Beef & Cabbage

DonziJon
03-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Had a great meal tonight (Corn Beef & Cabbage) in celebration of the holiday. Some years are better than others..Corn Beef wise. This year didn't seem as good as last year..but you have to take what you can get. My wife (and I) like "Moseys" brand..but couldn't find it this year so we ended up with "Colorado Premium" (Flat Cut). On the dinner plate..I was tempted to add a little salt...but didn't. I still like the Moseys. I think maybe it's a texture thing. :yes:

Corn Beef is a once a year event for us, so we sometimes have trouble remembering (over 60) HOW we did it last year. :biggrin: John

Ghost
03-14-2009, 06:56 PM
we sometimes have trouble remembering (over 60) HOW we did it last year.

W.I.T.F.D. (write it down) :wink:

Sounds good. We're doing ours tomorrow night. And, maybe my folks will have another one Tuesday night. Good time of year to eat...

Patti
03-14-2009, 07:18 PM
My father was from County Kerry, Ireland..and we ate so much of it as kids that I cannot even look at corned beef! lol

My family in Ireland had no idea what it was when we first visited there...they don't eat it there..it's an American thing :)..they never heard of Irish Spring there either :biggrin.: lol...i'm sure they have now, but years ago..they thought we were nuts asking them if they used it for soap.

Carl C
03-14-2009, 07:22 PM
Did you have green beer with it? Hey, Patti, how did the skunk thing end up? (the cabbage made me think of it:eek:)

Patti
03-14-2009, 07:25 PM
Did you have green beer with it? Hey, Patti, how did the skunk thing end up? (the cabbage made me think of it:eek:)

Carl, thank GOD it wasn't that bad. It seriously got him ONLY in the mouth ( Dylan must've had his face in that skunks arse lol)..he still has just a hair bit of smell on the back of his head..but otherwise I think we were very lucky...

The damn thing is still lurking around. He comes by every few nights and sprays right outside my damn door. We set the live trap and baited it well but so far, no skunk.

I will get that SOB! lol

Ed Donnelly
03-14-2009, 08:44 PM
Patti; We are from County Cork, and Heather is from Tipperary

Small World.....................Ed

penbroke
03-14-2009, 09:15 PM
( Dylan must've had his face in that skunks arse lol )

They generally do...

Frank
Don't ask...

HOWARD O
03-14-2009, 09:55 PM
I can't get enough of corned beef. We have a New England boiled dinner about twice a month....would be more but I don't want to get the rest of the family tired of it. I do it slow in the crockpot all day and add the 'taters and cabbage later on in the day if I'm home. If not, it ALL gets cooked all day....still good. I'm not even Irish! I am hearing bagpipes as I type this and for the life of me, I can't tell where it's coming from! Spooky........ :shocker:

Carl C
03-15-2009, 07:28 AM
Carl, thank GOD it wasn't that bad. It seriously got him ONLY in the mouth ( Dylan must've had his face in that skunks arse lol)..he still has just a hair bit of smell on the back of his head..but otherwise I think we were very lucky...

The damn thing is still lurking around. He comes by every few nights and sprays right outside my damn door. We set the live trap and baited it well but so far, no skunk.

I will get that SOB! lol

Good deal. The smell will wear off. We had an albino skunk around here a few years ago, pretty cool looking. I want to know how you plan to relocate this critter once you catch him, lol. He might have the last laugh. Ok, back to corned beef and cabbage. Don't think I've ever had it.

Patti
03-15-2009, 07:40 AM
Patti; We are from County Cork, and Heather is from Tipperary
Small World.....................Ed

It IS a small world! I have family from Cork (Ballincollig) and some Aunts and Uncles in Tipperary (Loughmore I believe)...they scattered everywhere but most are in Castlegregory still which was my fathers hometown. Were you born and raised there? i'd looove to go back. Do more sightseeing and get to know more about my fathers family and their history.

My mothers side of the family is from the Roscommon, Limerick and Knock area...

This time of year I miss my dad..he loved St. Patricks day! lol

Patti
03-15-2009, 07:40 AM
They generally do...
Frank
Don't ask...

*isn't asking* lol

roadtrip se
03-15-2009, 10:58 AM
Seems like the destruction of a perfectly innocent piece of brisket to me.
I'll take mine smoked with hickory with maybe a dry rubbed rib or two on the side.

As for the beer, green is for college kids. A good stout served at the proper temperature or a nice pulled craft ale is more in the line with the Irish.

I know, I know, don't flame me for complaining about the tradition. You guys boil yours, I'll smoke mine...

Ghost
03-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Not necessarily traditional, but not a bad compromise to boil and then glaze in the oven for a time... (6 hours and counting...)

DonziJon
03-15-2009, 05:53 PM
I had a Martooni....:yes:...it might have been two....before dinner, and then a BV Pinot Noire with dinner. Very good. We usually have some leftovers but not this time. I must have been hungry. :wink: John