PDA

View Full Version : salvage title question

mattyboy
03-14-2009, 07:54 AM
this is a hypothetical question let's say i have this friend who bought a house several years ago when he moved in their was a boat left by the old owner . my friend asked him to come get the boat and gave him some time( a few months) well years have now past and the boat is still there. If my friend wanted to sell the boat could he? and would the buyer have any problems showing a clear title or could he get a title???

MOP
03-14-2009, 08:09 AM
Matty I have been involved in this a few times here in NY, you need to report the available numbers both hull and registration to the state. After six months without having it claimed by the registrant you own it, I got a Avon inflatable that way. Some try the custom or assembled route but a reasonably smart law man usually nails them.

Phil

mphatc
03-14-2009, 08:26 AM
Matty,

The laws for this vary state to state for legal ownership of abandoned property.
The easiest might be to get the "former" owner to sign off on the boat with a bill of sale to the property owner .. . who may have legal rights to the boat under long term storage . . . again check the local laws.

NH, where I am has them all online, and I suspect where ever this boat is they are as well.

Mario L.

1969 Donzi Corsican
C18 C32
1968 Magnum 27

CHACHI
03-14-2009, 12:41 PM
NH is a GREAT state to get things registered in.

Ken

mattyboy
03-15-2009, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the info guys i will talk to my friend this week and see what the deal is

opa
03-16-2009, 04:32 PM
NH is a GREAT state to get things registered in.

Ken
VT ain't so bad either.

RedDog
03-16-2009, 05:10 PM
Boats aren't even titled in TN. To register them, you just need a hand written bill of sale.

But boat trailers are titled - go figure...