PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Type for Holman Moody 289

Tom Smith
03-13-2009, 07:19 PM
I just bought a 1967 18' barrelback with the Holman Moody 289 in her. Someone told me I may need to add lead to the fuel because this is an older engine. I had a 1960 Austin Healey Bug Eye Sprite that I had to do that too, but thought this motor was new enough to not need the lead additive. They also said it would be best to run hightest gas, not regular. Could someone please enlighten me on these issues? Tom

mattyboy
03-13-2009, 07:49 PM
i ran my 10 : 1 comp 1969 ford 351w on reg pump gas with an occassional tank of hi test and never had a problem I heard the new owner also ran her on AV gas last i saw she was still running I wouldn't worry about it

MOP
03-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Lead additive is probably a good idea to help the valves and seats to live a little longer, but high test may actually hurt performance unless it was reworked with higher compression. I ran a little over 9:1 in my 302 Ford and used 87, I use 87 in my 383 stroker with 9:1 compression.

Phil

mattyboy
03-13-2009, 08:19 PM
it's a 40 something year old motor it's not going to last forever, run her if she breaks fix her and run her some more there are more fuel worries in a 40 year old boat than lead ;) they really are some pretty strong motors

mattyboy
03-14-2009, 05:59 AM
Tom,

look on the bell housing for the holman moody serial number plate, if the motor has not been touched the plate will have your compression ratio on it and it will also have a serial number for production date ,HP rating and timing
if you have a problem decoding post them here and I can help you.

post pics too we like pics :)

mphatc
03-14-2009, 08:10 AM
Tom,
This Ford does not have bronze valve seats, no need to add any lead additive.
You're safe to run it on pump gas, but beware, the 10% ethanol fuel will make a mess of your fuel system. It will disolve and loosen any scale that is in the old tinned fuel tank, if that hasn't already been replaced, and be cautious of any soft fuel lines in the old boats.
As best I recall the date, marine fuel lines were not required to be ethanol or alcohol compliant until the early 80's.
Just went through this with a local car customer who callled me about his marina trying to convincce him that his 1988 Four Winns needed a new fuel tank and all lines replaced at a cost over $2K. I made numerous phone calls, including several to older Four Winns dealers only to find out that the 1988 boat has an ethanol compatible fuel tank and system installed. The only change for him was to switch to a finer element fuel filter, from 40 microns to a 10 micron, and to leave the tank empty at the end of the year.
Remember ethanol fuel causes the loss of octane in a vented system, as much as 3% . Octane drops very quickly as the ethanol absorbs water, and possibly the fuel can go into phase separation. So if you leave your boat for a month unused . . . . leave it with very little fuel, and fill up with fresh fuel before a hard run. You can not hear detonation in a boat engine while running.
I'd recommend on your 289 powered Donzi that you replace your fuel lines with new ones and add a a new fuel filter cartridge unit that will allow quick filter changes.
This is a good read: http://www.fuel-testers.com/marine_boat_ethanol_problems.html
Fuel filter of this style:
http://ww2.sierramarine.com/catalog_pdf_8025/8025-69.pdf
Good luck, post some pictures of your boat! Is it a triple hatch barrelback?

Mario L.

1969 Donzi Corsican
C18 C32
1968 Magnum 27

BigGrizzly
03-14-2009, 09:17 AM
Mario, Hit it and so did Matty. I would run 89 in it. Don't worry about the lead if there is a problem it already has happened. That is a great engine and was built to last being abused.

Tom Smith
03-14-2009, 01:39 PM
Thanks guys. I found a gas station here in New Bern that sells 100% gas. None of that ethanol crap in it. I started using it in my 5 hp Honda outboard and what a difference it made. Do any of you guys use that fuel stabilizer stuff? The guy I bought it from had a fuel separator installed ( I think that is what he called it) and that has a big filter on it, plus there is a small plastic see through one between that and the carb. All that fuel line is new as of 3 weeks ago. The tank was cleaned and flushed as well. This HM 289 runs sweet and I would like to keep it that way. Tom

HOWARD O
03-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Boy, you'd think if there was a 1967 18' barrelback around here, I would've seen it by now!

Where do you do your boating, Tom? I'm on Brice's Creek....

By the way, the new fuel dock in town has ethanol free gas.

Howard

BlownCrewCab
03-14-2009, 09:32 PM
If it's the boat I'm thinking of (Blue & White) the fuel hoses from the tank all the way to the motor are new (I changed them myself) the fuel/water seperator is new as well. carb has been totally rebuilt. I would run midgrade fuel, it's like splitting the difference between High and low octane, then you'll have no worries.

Nice boat by the way, enjoy it.

Tom Smith
03-14-2009, 10:12 PM
That's the boat BlownCrewCab. Tom B. told me you went for a ride in this boat but I had no idea you actually worked on it. Thanks for telling me that stuff. I was wondering about the fuel line from the tank to the separator. Now I can ease my mind about that. Howard, I haven't run it up here yet. It's in having the outdrive checked right now, the impeller replaced, the prop refurbished, and a flush valve installed in the water cooling line so I can clean it out with a garden hose after I run it. This boat is in really nice shape for it's age, and a lot of that has to do with the fact it has only been run in fresh water. We are brackish around here so I wanted to be able to flush the system out after a run. Should be up and runninbg in a week or so. I live in Fairfield Harbour. Tom

BigGrizzly
03-15-2009, 08:49 AM
Tom, YOU have VIOLATED the Donzi net code, where are the pictures:yes::yes::yes:

Tom Smith
03-15-2009, 02:02 PM
As soon as she comes back from the shop and goes in the water, I will post pictures. Just found another Donzi guy here in New Bern, Howard O, just up the river from me. He is going to meet me with his boat for my first launch. He was as happy as a clam to find out there was another Donzi lover in this area.
Oh heck, here it is in my driveway. Tom

Donzi Vol
03-15-2009, 10:07 PM
I can't believe I haven't seen this thread here yet! I'm chuckling as I read all of this while knowing the details. Grizz, it's the blue and white one that I had up here in TN last summer that you seemed to be a fan of. So original...awesome boat!

Tom, I'm really glad to hear that you're taking much time and care of that motor. She's just about bulletproof (trust me...hehe), but quality maintenance and care will make a world of difference. And like CrewCab said, all the lines are new, the carb was rebuilt, and the tank flushed. The water seperator mounted to the engine compartment is a key component. You don't want to get rid of it. The clear filter is just a simple in-line filter that will keep the final product going into the carb as clean as possible. It might be a good idea to empty out that filter every now and again. So all that said, you shouldn't have any fuel problems...haha.

And you best be posting some pictures of that first launch!

All the best,
David

Donzi Vol
03-15-2009, 10:08 PM
If it's the boat I'm thinking of (Blue & White) the fuel hoses from the tank all the way to the motor are new (I changed them myself) the fuel/water seperator is new as well. carb has been totally rebuilt. I would run midgrade fuel, it's like splitting the difference between High and low octane, then you'll have no worries.

Nice boat by the way, enjoy it.

Memories...haha! Almost makes me want to play with another one...hmmm;)

Tom Smith
03-15-2009, 10:24 PM
I would rather err on the safe side. That is why I have it in the shop being checked over. Once the weather breaks over here she will be in the water more than she is out. My new buddy Harold O and I will be making some sweet music here on the Neuse River real soon. He in his 1982 22 footer and me in my 1967 2+3. Can't wait. Hope all is well in TN. Haven't heard from uncle Tom is a few days. He must be up to something! Tom

blue boat
03-16-2009, 08:10 PM
I have a 1967 18' barrelback too. My engine is a 427 and I use lead additive plus octane booster. I think you should add the lead back in the day gasoline had lead in it.My engine runs great and it's just as old as my boat. good luck and enjoy
Craig

Tom Smith
03-25-2009, 10:30 PM
Another question for the experts. What weight oil would be best in my Holman Moody 289. Should I use a detergent oil like 10W30 or a straight weight like plain old 30 weight. Tom

vrod02
03-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Hijack with good intentions!! Anybody have the correct points for the crab style malllory? My local store's are trying to sell me blue point/ points which do not come close. Plug wires are a real proplem as well. Custom fab. is all I've come up with.

BlownCrewCab
03-26-2009, 06:04 AM
Another question for the experts. What weight oil would be best in my Holman Moody 289. Should I use a detergent oil like 10W30 or a straight weight like plain old 30 weight. Tom

I Like straight 40w

mattyboy
03-26-2009, 06:19 AM
I Like straight 40w :yes:

RedDog
03-26-2009, 07:43 AM
Hey, I recognize that boat!
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38143&d=1219708077

BigGrizzly
03-26-2009, 07:47 AM
Well I will do the oil first. 30 or 40 w would be my preference. Under no circumstances use 10/W40. Don't worry about the detergents in oil it is a non issue since high detergent oils have not been used in 20 years. according to the companies we tested the HD designation stands for heavy duty. Now the points in our 16 are Malory. I think prestolite still has thoes points for that distributor. I got rid of the dual points because they were a pain and hade no real benefit in that application.

mattyboy
03-26-2009, 08:19 AM
my 351 was updated to a prestolite electronic ign the only problem i ever had with it was the cap (once) otherwise it ran great mine was the crab style also I will have to look I might have a set of points brand new I got a tuneup kit from Madpoodle and it had them with the crab cap and wires I only needed the cap and rotor

I will check tonight

Tom Smith
03-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Aint she purdy. Looks even better now with the new upholstery and all polished up. Mike, I will use straight 40 weight oil. Thanks for the input. Sorry if these questions seem silly to you guys who have been around these boats for so many years, but I would rather err on the cautious side and ask, than do something to it I would regret down the road. I'm at the bottom of the learning curve I am afraid. Tom

Donzi Vol
03-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Aint she purdy. Looks even better now with the new upholstery and all polished up. Mike, I will use straight 40 weight oil. Thanks for the input. Sorry if these questions seem silly to you guys who have been around these boats for so many years, but I would rather err on the cautious side and ask, than do something to it I would regret down the road. I'm at the bottom of the learning curve I am afraid. Tom

Hey Tom, ask Mike if I've ever asked a "silly question":wink: Remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question...just stupid people who ask questions! Ha...just kidding!

Donzi Vol
03-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Hey, I recognize that boat!
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38143&d=1219708077

Man, those are some good lookin' boaters!!! Let's see...driver is DonziVol, front right is my brother, Michael, back seat is Cutwater and his lady guest. We had fun...hopefully we'll have another little barrel back on the water this summer...hmmmm...

Tom Smith
03-26-2009, 04:20 PM
On the upper part of my Volvo outdrive (on the outside part) there is a plate with the word Chrysler Marine on it. What did Chrysler have to do with Volvo Penta in 1967? I really need to know why this is on there because every one of my buddies who came over to see the boat, and there were plenty, asked me about it. I felt like a dummy not knowing. Dang, I hate that feeling. Tom

mattyboy
03-26-2009, 09:21 PM
pics of the plate would help

Donzi used a few engine mfgr's in the early days ford , waukesha,buick , volvo, and chyrsler and the volvo aq 200 wore a few name badges as well , is there a serial number on it?

My 1967 16 had a chrysler throttle/shifter in it and originally an eaton badged volvo aq 200 drive

Tom Smith
03-26-2009, 11:04 PM
My boat has the Holman Moody Ford 289 in it and the 270 Volvo outdrive, but on the top of the outdrive the badge says Chysler Marine. Just seems kind of odd. The boat is in the shop so I don't know the outdrive serial number off hand, but it's on there. I may be driving to the boat yard tomorrow so I'll write it down if I do, and post it here. Tom

mattyboy
03-27-2009, 06:39 AM
Tom, the drive has been replaced somtime over the boat's life , a 270 drive would not be original on a 67 the 270 was introduced in 71-72 so the outdrive came off of another boat that was chrysler powered

mattyboy
03-27-2009, 10:35 AM
also don't forget chrysler was in the marine business long before donzi came around, they made boats, motors, outboard motors, I would guess the drive came off of a chrysler boat

check out this page the bigger cruiser has a volvo drive on it, if memory serves me correctly the dad in the 1964 tv show Flipper drove a chrysler tri hull

http://www.allpar.com/old/boats-1969.php

BigGrizzly
03-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Yes Matty that old 413, was in a ton of boats and cruisers.

Tom Smith
03-27-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm not sure this is a 270. DonziRacer thought it was, but wasn't positive. Can you guys tell from the pictures? Tom

mattyboy
03-27-2009, 08:51 PM
serial numbers will tell, off the motor and the drive, it's a 250 or 270

Tom Smith
03-27-2009, 10:09 PM
I'm entered in a car show tomorrow. If it's a rain out I will skip the show and drive to the boat yard and get those numbers.

vrod02
03-28-2009, 01:05 AM
That is a 270 And the 270 was around before 71 FYI. my 1970 7 meter with 270's
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/vrod02/IMG_0944.jpg

BigGrizzly
03-28-2009, 09:10 AM
Tom, it really does not matter because on the outside they are the same and on the inside there are only small changes and parts are interchangeable.

Tom Smith
03-28-2009, 11:01 AM
OK Grizz. I guess it's no big deal. I'll not fret over it then. Well the rains are still with us so no car show. No boat either. I mis understood the guy at the shop. I thought he said he wasn't busy so I ran the boat over there the next day. Seems he is busy and it would be 3 weeks before he could get to mine. Well, two weeks down now, so it should be in the que this week. Sure hope so. It's starting to warm up into the low 70s around here now. Thanks to all for the input. Stay tuned, I am sure I will have more questions soon. Tom

BlownCrewCab
03-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Could it be that someone just put a different cover on it? (or what ever part that is) Whats the boat in the shop For? Take it back and use it until he's ready for it.

Tom Smith
03-28-2009, 12:00 PM
I had the prop rebuilt, a fresh water flush installed in the motor compartment to get the salt water out of it after a run, and a kill switch installed with a lanyard. Plus an oil and filter change and having the outdrive oil replaced. I live in a gated community and can't leave the boat here for more than a few days so I can't do this work on it myself. I'll have he back soon. If I knew the guy was backed up with work for 3 weeks I never would have take the boat over there that soon. My bad. He is the only guy around here who works on Volvo's, so it's him or me, and I don't know what the heck I'm doing, so that narrows it down to him. The prop is back now so it won't be long.

mattyboy
03-30-2009, 06:32 AM
That is a 270 And the 270 was around before 71 FYI. my 1970 7 meter with 270's
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/vrod02/IMG_0944.jpg

the earliest 270's I have seen was in the fall of 71 on a cig, donzi was still installing 250's in 72 on a numbers verified boat

nice setup :yes: let's see the drives if they are original they would be the earliest ones i have seen do you have a hull number on the 7 meter and serial numbers on the drives

the serial number on the drive will tell you if you have a 270 or a 250 the shift covers can be interchanged

from my expierence the 250 drive and 270 drive are pretty much interchangable, grizz has anyone ever run a solas on a sharp keeled barrellback??

mattyboy
03-30-2009, 08:15 AM
re reading this ,V rod I think there might be some confusion in the volvo world the 250 and 270 are models of the outdrive not the motor , there is no correlation between the motor model/hp rating and the number/model of the drive , only that the gear ratio match 4 cyl , 6 cyl, 8 cyl, were as some merc packages I think the number on the drive was the HP rating of the motor the trs 330 and the merc 260 but i could be off on that

:)

Tom Smith
03-30-2009, 08:58 AM
My boat has a Holman Moody Ford 289 in it, not a Volvo motor. My outrdrive is Volvo. The reason I showed the shot of the motor is because in it you can see the lift mechanism for the outdrive and I thought that might make it easier to identify the outdrive. Please don't confuse me any more than I already am confused. That would make me more confuseder. See, I'm getting wortser buy the minute. Tom

mattyboy
03-30-2009, 09:07 AM
Tom,

I know, the confusion is not on your part, Vrod posted pics of his 7 meter with 270's and only posted pics of his motors not the 270 drives .

I have been thru a ton of research on holman moody and the early volvos if you and Vrod post serial numbers off your motors and your drives I can tell you who where what and when they are ;)

with out a serial number I can't tell a 250 from a 270 unless there is a visual clue I don't know about and if there is I would like to know it :)

the serial number on the drive is a metal tag riveted to the upper housing near the dip stick to check out drive oil level. the serial number on the holman moody motor should be on the bell housing on a holman moody serial number plate I'll see if I have a pic of mine

again this info on the serial numbers is a golden rule if nothing has been touched and a rule of thumb if the drive or motor has been touched over it 40 year old life. I have done some dr. frankenstein stuff mating 250 and 270 parts if i have done it everyone else has

hope that helps

Tom Smith
04-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Got my boat back yesterday, so here are the numbers on the outdrive:
2795157B Tell me all you can about this thing please. I would also like to find a Shop Manual or the like with diagrams of this thing so maybe I can learn to work on some of it myself. Tom

mattyboy
04-06-2009, 06:07 AM
yes late model Volvo Aquamatic 270 the B signifies it is a V 8 ratio 1.6 : 1

I found a clymers manual on it at a local west's marine

the drive would not have been original on a 67 most likely it came with a volvo aq200 and the 270 was added later same thing happened to my 67 16

the drives are very tough and as they progressed from a 200 to a 290 they became stronger

I am not a wrench guy but routine Maint on a volvo is pretty straight forward and found myself doing it without a problem

Tom Smith
04-06-2009, 08:46 AM
That solves that mystery. I'll check at my local West Marine to see if they have a Clymers shop manual on my unit. Tom

vrod02
04-22-2009, 10:36 PM
I stand corrected, Matt is right.My 70 donzi has 250's There tagged with H/M not volvo logo's The tags on the bell housing say 270HP. My 72 Allmand has the 270 tags.
Got her running Fri. is trial by water.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/vrod02/th_donzifire.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/vrod02/?action=view&current=donzifire.flv)