PDA

View Full Version : Removing decals/stickers

Ghost
03-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Anyone have any surefire methods for safely removing the stuck-on graphics (and subsequent goo) from a new vehicle? Not long pinstripes or anything, just stickers, maybe 7" on a side. (My approach to bling starts with "less is more.")

Thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Also, curious about the chrome raised lettering and logos too, and how they can be safely removed if I want to. But that's extra credit.

Thanks,

Mike

handfulz28
03-12-2009, 01:27 PM
For stuck on graphics, heat gun/hair dryer, sometimes combined with 3M Adhesive Remover.
For raised letters and whatnot, the same heat gun usually followed with fishing line under a lifted edge, followed by 3M Adhesive Remover.

Sometimes a hard plastic edge comes in handy, say one of those fake credit cards banks occassionally send out. Or your wife's most-used CC when necessary. :biggrin.:

MXRoadster
03-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Mike, here is how I do it. Get a heat gun with adjustable settings, acetone and a soft plastic scraper. Start with the lowest settings on the heat gun and increase the temperature or the amount of time you heat the decal (keep the heat gun moving around the entire area at all times). Use the scraper or your finger nail to get a corner raised up and then slowly try to peal the decal up while heating the glue where you are pulling from. Too much heat will melt the decal and could ruin the surface you are taking it off of. The acetone on a clean white rag will take care of the remaining glue, but use it in a well ventilated area and do not use any pressure or you will ruin the paint. The last step is to wash and wax vehicle.
As for chrome raised letters use fishing line or dental floss instead of the scraper.
Some decals are easy to remove and some are a real pain. Remember to take your time so you don't ruin the paint. Good luck.

Carl C
03-12-2009, 01:47 PM
This was just discussed here:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55565

Pretty much you just want to use some heat to soften the glue and can use a solvent like mineral spirits, lighter fluid or WD-40 as you peel the sticker off.

Ghost
03-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Thanks all, will give it a shot. -Mike

mike o
03-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Mike, I dont know what type of surface ya working with. But, acetone can cause discoloration problems on some materials like all non chemical resistant plastics. Goo gone is harmless.

Cuda
03-12-2009, 06:26 PM
WD 40 to remove the goo.

DonziJon
03-12-2009, 06:31 PM
YUP: Definately NO Acetone. WD-40 works. Squirt some around the edges of the decal every Beer or so and let it work. If'n your in a hurry..add some heat gun. :wink: John

Cuda
03-12-2009, 06:36 PM
YUP: Definately NO Acetone. WD-40 works. Squirt some around the edges of the decal every Beer or so and let it work. If'n your in a hurry..add some heat gun. :wink: John

Jest keep the heat away from yer beer!:beer:

Ghost
03-12-2009, 06:50 PM
No doubt, cold beer=good. :)

Acetone struck me as more solvent than I'll need, too. I think I will try for the slow manual peel, using a hair dryer if it's too stubborn, and goo gone for follow up. (It's very new, so I shouldn't have the pain of having it break up like old stickers.) If I get ambitious, I may try to get the dealer plaque off as well with some monofilament. Thanks for all the info. -Mike