PDA

View Full Version : GM 4.5 oil burner is toast... for now

roadtrip se
03-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Unless of course someone else wants it under license....

General Motors' 4.5-liter Duramax diesel V8 engine has become the latest casualty of the automotive downturn, as GM has put the promising powertrain on indefinite hold. The General follows Ford, Toyota, and Dodge in dropping light diesel engines from its near-term plans. GM spokesperson Susan Garavaglia told Pickuptrucks.com that the project has not been canceled, and that the General was "still very interested" in using the innovative diesel powertrain in the future.

The 4.5-liter Duramax diesel sounds terrific on paper, with a 25% improvement in fuel economy, 310 horsepower and 525 lb-ft of torque for towing, and an innovative design that cuts weight while also saving $600 per engine. The news will be difficult for fans of the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra anxiously waiting for a diesel engine in a light duty pickup truck. Still, GM points out that it has a dual-mode hybrid truck that can achieve 40% better fuel economy in the city, along with a full line of gasoline and diesel engine offerings in its truck lineup.

While the 4.5-liter diesel isn't going into GM trucks and SUVs any time soon, the General says it would still consider license the technology to a third party if the deal was beneficial to all involved. [Source: Pickuptrucks.com]

CJmike
03-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Dang it. I really wish they would embrace diesels in detriot like they have in europe. Looking to downsize next year maybe and a half ton with a diesel would have been nice. Or better yet an SUV had one. Two choices I know of today. Mercedes and Jeep.

handfulz28
03-11-2009, 04:23 PM
How much does GM want for Hummer? If somebody would lend me a couple hundred $mill, I think a mini-DMax/H2 could compete with Mercedes & Landcruisers around the world.

Trueser
03-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Thats just great. I was just looking the other day to order one and help GM out.

So I may have to get a Duramax pick-up truck as my daily driver.

My 6.0 2500 Yukon xl with the hitch that stinks just don't cut it.

Has anyone found a hitch that will fit on the new body style?

Donziweasel
03-11-2009, 05:43 PM
I think not only is the 4.5L toast for now, so is GM.

Craig S
03-12-2009, 07:51 AM
How much does GM want for Hummer? If somebody would lend me a couple hundred $mill, I think a mini-DMax/H2 could compete with Mercedes & Landcruisers around the world.

Hey, you can pickup Chrysler for free...