PDA

View Full Version : starter question

2donzi2
03-09-2009, 09:05 PM
merc 330 TRS, had boat running, shut it down and went to start back. Turn ignition and have power at the instruments, but nothing to the starter. After checking everything with a test light, the solenoid on the back of the engine has power on one side, but when you hit the ignition does not send power to the other side to the yellow wire to the starter solenoid. Can hit it with power from the battery on the dead side of the solenoid and it turns. Am I correct in thinking the solenoid is bad on the back of the engine or does anyone have any other feedback. Fuseable links, circut breakers anywher else, ect ect. Thanks, Mike

MOP
03-09-2009, 09:35 PM
That is the slave solenoid, check for activation power from the key. Have a hunch it died swap it out and the problem should go away, it is pretty common.

Phil

farmer tx
03-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Are you talking about this yellow wire?

2donzi2
03-10-2009, 07:46 AM
have power to the one side of the slave solenoid, nothing coming out to the other side. Yes, that is the yellow wire. Appears it comes from the slave solenoid to one side of the starter solenoid. Connected on the inside
(closest to the engine) side. Just need a little reasurance thats what it is before I buy one. Thanks, for the info. Mike

BigGrizzly
03-10-2009, 09:30 AM
That happened to me at lake George. It was the solenoid. My problem is the starter was bad too and shorted everything else out after I replaced it. Heck after 28 years you would not think that would happen. Poor quality or maybe planned obsolescence.:D:D

2donzi2
03-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Ok, all day played around with this thing and I just can't figure it out. Replaced the slave solenoid of which I was sure it was, and have the same trouble. Also put (2) new batterys in it. Pulled the starter, bench tested and even replaced the solenoid and it pops fine. If I jump the lead from one side to the other on the slave solenoid, it turns over fine. Ignition switch in all three leads produce (1) constant hot (2) hot when key on (3) hot when switch engaged. Even took a wire from switch to slave solenoid and still nothing. Anything else that maybe I should check, ie neutral safety or any other way to test that I may not know of. This thing has driven me crazy all day.Thanks, Mike

farmer tx
03-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Is your shifter in neutral ? The little square plastic thing in the photo is a fused link, but I don't think that is the problem. You have a t-bolt IV maybe this will help

BigGrizzly
03-11-2009, 08:03 AM
Two things The neutral interlock is a bitch. To find out just ground the black wire, and try it. If it turns over then the switch is adjusted funky. I doubt the switch is bad.The other thing is the wiring on the solenoid. All terminals on one side and the yellow /red on the other. I have made this mistake.